Curse on Hit

I use it like so:

and it works rather nicely with spectral throw. Once I level the gems up it will kik some booootay!
I make music, you can listen and dl for free at https://analogmunky.bandcamp.com/music or https://soundcloud.com/analogmunky/tracks
There's a huge opportunity cost here; in order to get a curse on hit you need to use a damaging attack. This attack will have almost no damage because you take up two slots for the curse + this gem. There are very few attacks for utility (viper strike, poison arrow, ice shot), so your options here are very limited. Then on top of that, you might not even get 100% chance to get your curse to go off.

So why exactly would you want to curse on hit then? Your attack won't do damage because no supports, you won't always get a curse, and on top of that when you need to really need your curse you can't even cast it. It would way more efficient almost always to simply cast the curse, then use your damage skills. And in reality, most mobs die so fast that cursing them on hit is a waste of time. And for bosses you really want your curse not, not to durdle around gambling that you'll get your curse on ability.

One might argue that the mana cost on curses can get out of hand, and this could be a use for the curse. There are two issues for this. First is that a reduced mana gem + a curse is likely to help you enough with mana compared to trying to gamble a curse on-hit with an ability that isn't doing damage. Second is that your area of effect in which you might curse enemies is likely far less than a decently leveled curse itself.

So, what are my suggestions for this gem? For starters, I think that you should still be able to cast the curse supported with this spell (perhaps not adding the quality bonus, unsure). That way you could have the option of casting the curse or trying to curse with your ability if you want. In my opinion giving the player more tactical choices like this seems much better for gameplay compared to its current state. This would make it different in contrast to other trigger gems, but curses have a much more specific role and chain cursing doesn't really add any extra benefit, at least compared to a damage spell chain casting.
@Moylin (Beyond)
After some more usage I am less inclined to have curse on hit on my main attack.

A couple of the posters here have mentioned and are quite correct, the loss of two slots is just not worth it.
I can see this more for helping the group.

So it needs to work with some kind of support skill. I want it on fire trap and as was mentioned before as well, the tooltip shows it should work but the "hit" of the trap never procs it.

Also, can anyone confirm if it works for totems. CoH on a flame totem would be sweet.
I make music, you can listen and dl for free at https://analogmunky.bandcamp.com/music or https://soundcloud.com/analogmunky/tracks
Can this combine Cold Snap and Temporal Chains?
It doesn't seem to be working with totems. I have flame totem linked with curse on hit and critical weakness but while the tooltip says that the totem should have a chance to apply the curse it's not working. So GGG is it supposed to work with totems?
I cant see this being used seriously on most skills, it takes 2 sockets which could otherwise be used on more DPS support gems, it also doesn't apply to spell totems
initially i wanted to try it with my incinerate build because recasting flamability while you incinerate stuff drops you down to stage 0 again.

...but 2 supports are way too heavy for this.

tempted to try linking it with tempest shield though, if each blocked attack has a chance to trigger it then great, but reserve cost gets a bit high atm, need more -reserve nodes to actually try :(
Curse on hit shouldn't requiring linking to an attack skill. all use cases fixed, and you still have an opportunity cost (as well as certain party use cases) so it remains fair.

essentially, if you're using a curse, you can assume that a curse is always up for an attack build, thus a QoL support gem should be just that; a QoL bonus

Edit: separate Curse on Hit into Curse on Attack and Curse on Spell, linked curse will have a chance of firing when any attack/spell hits respectively. Now it's worth a gem slot.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
Last edited by Autocthon on Oct 31, 2013, 4:02:58 PM
Would curse on hit + Incinerate + crit weakness be worth it on a high spell crit damage build? Heavy crit + rapid casts and the curse providing 5% crit chance to incinerate?
"
AltimaNZ wrote:
Would curse on hit + Incinerate + crit weakness be worth it on a high spell crit damage build? Heavy crit + rapid casts and the curse providing 5% crit chance to incinerate?

other supporsts would be far better imo.

a curse for crit would only give 10% chance for crit at max level. with a base just above 6 casts/sec that would mean that you would need at least 40% cast rate just to get 1crit/sec, and the rest hits will be low.

with 2 supports on incinerate you can do so much like knockback/blind for survivability, faster cast for extreme boost of damage, added lighting+shock passives for multipling the damage, etc.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info