I Cast Magic Missile! - Cantrip's Guide to Ethereal Knives

Hi there!

First off, thanks a lot for the breakdown of this build. As soon as I saw the new tree and discovered Mind over Matter I wanted to see it in action but I didn't know with what build and you gave us this splendid idea :)

Anyways, I was wondering to what extent you level Clarity and Arctic, I'm working towards lvl 50 atm and I've pretty much left AA with just a few levels because I can't support it yet.
Has anyone of you tried out the Lightning Coil chest? Can you give me any hints if it is good or not?
"
Merris wrote:
Hi there!

First off, thanks a lot for the breakdown of this build. As soon as I saw the new tree and discovered Mind over Matter I wanted to see it in action but I didn't know with what build and you gave us this splendid idea :)

Anyways, I was wondering to what extent you level Clarity and Arctic, I'm working towards lvl 50 atm and I've pretty much left AA with just a few levels because I can't support it yet.

Clarity I level all the way, personally. Even before EB, you can afford to, and you REALLY need the mana.
Arctic Armor I only level when it's at a level of mana cost I can sustain FOREVER while standing, and at least like 10 seconds moving. The idea is to be able to turn it on and forget about it, but if you wanna micromanage it, level it further, but I gotta say that with 120% Mana Regen from nodes, you can get quite high even before EB.

helps a lot. Sure, it has no DPS or IIR, but it adds quite a few levels to AA.

"
beysl wrote:
Has anyone of you tried out the Lightning Coil chest? Can you give me any hints if it is good or not?

I've gotten it 4L (no Projectile Speed), and tested it out. It's super-effective vs. Physical, as I expected, and it makes funny noises when I get hit, as if I got hit by Lightning. :)

Not gonna use it until I get it 5L at least, though. The range adds a lot of survivability and clear speed.

The math with my 8000 Armor, AA reduces 102, you have MoM:
Assuming 1000 / 4000 damage before reduction, anything less is more or less negated fully anyway.
Damage Reduction Factor = Armour / ( Armour + (12 * Damage) )

1000 Damage, No Lightning Coil, AA reduces 102, 8000 Armor, you have MoM:
40% Reduced from Armor = 600 Left
AA takes off 102 = 498 Left
MoM takes 150 to Mana = 348 Damage Taken to Life

1000 Damage, Lightning Coil, AA reduces 102, 8000 Armor, you have MoM:
40% Taken as Lightning => 600 Physical, 400 Lightning
400 Lightning vs. 75% Resist = 100 Damage taken
53% Reduced from Armor = 316 Left
AA takes off 102 = 214 Damage left
MoM takes 30 (Lightning) + 64 (Physical) = 220 Damage Taken to Life

4000 Damage, No Lightning Coil, AA reduces 102, 8000 Armor, you have MoM:
14% Reduced from Armor = 3429 Left
AA takes off 102 = 3327 Left
MoM takes 998 Damage (you probably run dry) = 2329 Damage Taken to Life

4000 Damage, Lightning Coil, AA reduces 102, 8000 Armor, you have MoM:
40% Taken as Lightning => 2400 Physical, 1600 Lightning
1600 Lightning vs. 75% Resist = 400 Damage Taken
22% Reduced from Armor = 1878 Left
AA takes off 102 = 1776 Left
MoM takes 120 (Lightning) + 533 (Physical) and you probably have mana left = 1523 Damage Taken to Life

The larger the hit, the more it matters. You'll want enough Life to avoid Shock stacks from large crits, though.
[3.22] 💀The Grim Reaper💀 - Hexblast Poison Mines Assassin
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3347191

[3.22] ❄️⚡CantripN's Hadoken! - Lightning Conduit / Crackling Lance / Arc Permafreeze⚡❄️
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3229590
Last edited by CantripN on Nov 1, 2013, 7:36:34 AM
Bump for great justice!

[3.22] ❄️⚡CantripN's Hadoken! - Lightning Conduit / Crackling Lance / Arc Permafreeze⚡❄️
Got bored of my Freezing pulse witch and started a Scion with this build. Lvl46 now and it's been fun this far. I really like the build.

Not 100% sure of the end game build yet. I was thinking of maybe not getting MoM and going for sovereignty so I could use 4 auras (clarity with Blood Magic+reduced mana). But I'm guessing it will get more clear for me as I progress and see what kind of gear I get :)
"
Lolpy wrote:
Got bored of my Freezing pulse witch and started a Scion with this build. Lvl46 now and it's been fun this far. I really like the build.

Not 100% sure of the end game build yet. I was thinking of maybe not getting MoM and going for sovereignty so I could use 4 auras (clarity with Blood Magic+reduced mana). But I'm guessing it will get more clear for me as I progress and see what kind of gear I get :)

Sounds like you want to jump in the other EK EB Scion thread. IT was trying to specialize in having 4-5 auras. I'm 50, and I still cant' decide which direction I want to "focus" more on, the MoM-type build here, or the 4-5 Aura build.
"
hokieneer wrote:
"
Lolpy wrote:

Sounds like you want to jump in the other EK EB Scion thread. IT was trying to specialize in having 4-5 auras. I'm 50, and I still cant' decide which direction I want to "focus" more on, the MoM-type build here, or the 4-5 Aura build.

To be honest, both builds can do the same thing. Difference is 3 points, and it's effectiveness depends on gear.

I suggest trying playing with MoM, and if you don't like it, retrain in. Judge for yourself.

Last edited by CantripN on Nov 2, 2013, 8:20:25 AM
Hi Your Ek build looks pretty awesome and i wanna try it later on. however i have a question. What do you think would be better late game. EK or ST and when getting wands and gear what stats should i be looking out for mainly. Like Spell damage or Energy shield or like resists?
I'm lvl 66 now nad I can't really support MoM, they oom me sometimes and it sucks. Maybe it is cuz I don't have enough of a mana pool (1500) or that my phys reduction isn't up to par yet, but I've been forced to specc out of it for now =/
"
asbo96 wrote:
Hi Your Ek build looks pretty awesome and i wanna try it later on. however i have a question. What do you think would be better late game. EK or ST and when getting wands and gear what stats should i be looking out for mainly. Like Spell damage or Energy shield or like resists?

Very different builds. Personally, I like EK better, but it purely depends on you and your gear available. Ultimately, it's not just about what's BETTER, but what you prefer. I had a friend level a ST build a lot like mine, and both his damage and survivability were so bad he quit it, but I suspect it's a matter of gear more than anything.

As for Wands, you want Spell Damage, Cast Speed, Projectile Speed. If it has Crit Chance it's not bad, but doesn't matter as much. Resist should be kept at a max, preferably up to 30-40 over for curses if possible (takes a lot of gear), and ES/Mana is important, too. Obviously, you need some Evasion gear as well for Iron Reflexes, or an equally good Armor gear.

"
Merris wrote:
I'm lvl 66 now nad I can't really support MoM, they oom me sometimes and it sucks. Maybe it is cuz I don't have enough of a mana pool (1500) or that my phys reduction isn't up to par yet, but I've been forced to specc out of it for now =/

MoM works best when you already have a good Armor score, as well as a medium-large mana pool. If you don't, it runs dry too fast and serves little purpose. Can't say it's a must, but with good gear, it helps a lot.

Last edited by CantripN on Nov 2, 2013, 11:17:03 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info