Battle Text...Damage Numbers...WHENNN!?

I think everyone is barking up the wrong tree in this thread. Scrotie came close with this statement:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Using these kinds of methods to pin down the exact strengths and weaknesses of monsters

But then veered off again into talking about 'mystique' and such.

GGG don't want floating damage numbers or damage logs because it would allow players (and bots) to work out the exact health and stats of monsters.

This would make it easier for people who want to set up PoE private servers.
GGG don't want competition from private servers.

It's as simple as that IMO.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Oct 20, 2013, 4:28:07 PM
To have a private server you would need to steal GGG's server build somehow. Nothing related to floating numbers.

We CAN extract mob health and resistances already. Resolute Technique makes attacks deal always the same damage (no crit, no evasion, no random variance in damage). AFAIK, bosses have no life regen nor leech (or it's absurdly small).
So, making a RT character, calculating its damage-per-hit and counting how many hits it requires to die it's enough to throw a close approximation of health.
Then changing elements and recounting would allow calculating how much resistances it has.

It's just that it's a incredible chore and nobody has been determined enough to do it. Floating numbers would just be a big help.
Private servers for F2P non-P2W game? Really now?

I know this quote is kind of old:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/29436/page/5#p431993

"
Floating combat text(FCT) is something that a lot of people 1. enjoy and 2. expect from a game in this genre. There are also definitely people who don't like it, and would never choose to have it enabled.

However, we're trying to appeal to as wide a community as possible, so it's quite likely that POE will eventually have three different options for FCT. The first would be the default, which is "Off". The second would be a version that merely shows your critical hits as FCT, possibly with the additional note of "Critical". The third option would be complete FCT, that shows all damage dealt, as well as misses and blocks.

There are valid arguments for all three types of FCT, so we'll try to arrive at something that pleases the most people. Hope that makes you guys happy!

So I don't understand where people get this idea that GGG is vehemently against FCT... Please provide a link or something, not just bullshit you're making up.

And this is coming from a person that is personally against FCT.

"
Sickness wrote:
It would be an extremely useless tool to solve the game with. Floating damage numbers would cointain ALOT less information than is already availible. Infact, it would probably add a layer of confusion since alot of people always tend to think that high damage numbers = high DPS wwith no regard for attackspeed.

Well said.
Last edited by Alhoon on Oct 20, 2013, 4:57:40 PM
"
Sickness wrote:
It would be an extremely useless tool to solve the game with. Floating damage numbers would cointain ALOT less information than is already availible. Infact, it would probably add a layer of confusion since alot of people always tend to think that high damage numbers = high DPS wwith no regard for attackspeed.
This is akin to the argument that "if we introduce Eternal Orbs into the economy, the primary effect will be players using them to ease the burden of RNG when doing things like Fusings." No, because the min/max use always trumps the casual, everyday use. You cannot consider the most normal, typical-player behavior when implementing a change like this; you need to consider the most min/max, obnoxious behavior.
"
dudiobugtron wrote:
GGG don't want floating damage numbers or damage logs because it would allow players (and bots) to work out the exact health and stats of monsters.

Tinfoil hat much?

I think even with such data, it would be very difficult to replicate the server code, so the task of creating a private server would still be impossible. And I have absolutely zero idea why anyone would want to do this. But... I don't know, there could be something down that rabbit hole. Just to be super, super safe, let's just avoid dudio's doomsday scenario by simply not enabling FCT.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Oct 20, 2013, 7:09:21 PM
"
dudiobugtron wrote:

That's pretty much bullshit.
If somebody wanted to make a private server and somehow managed to actually replicate the complete server software they could just use whatever health values they wanted so it just feels as much as the original as possible.
TBH I disagree with the idea of general battle text numbers.

But I wouldn't mind a 'test' area where you can see the battle damage information, against like a dummy, or a group of dummies.

Something where you could throw a fire trap, and see how much burning damage you got from the crit+ground burn + ele prolif, and make judgements based on that.

Like you could spawn something with 2000hp and measure how quickly it dies with ACD or with FC on a spell
Emulating the desync-ridden, resource-hungry PoE server is a terrible idea. A big point of a private server would be to do local calculations instead of handling it all on a server.

If GGG offered 'private server' functionality, then this would be used by lots of players for:
- Testing builds.
- Custom drop and exp rates.
- Custom rules/ passive trees/ etc (eg: a 'closed beta' version).
- Using client-side calculations, to eliminate desync.

I stand by my claim that GGG want to avoid competition from private servers, because those private servers would be more appealing for a lot of players.

However, Alhoon has shown that everyone in this thread (including me) is wrong in their assumption that GGG don't want FCT. It sounds like they do want to implement it eventually.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Oct 20, 2013, 8:28:17 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I think even with such data, it would be very difficult to replicate the server code, so the task of creating a private server would still be impossible. And I have absolutely zero idea why anyone would want to do this.

it's a fact that tech companies spend an awful lot of money to discover weaknesses in competitors products. everything what helps destroying the competitors credibility or market share is welcomed if it can't be backtracked to the source.
no need to wear a tinfoil hat for this one.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
As long as its an OPTION.

I am not going to say no to a feature someone else wants. again, as long as it's an option.

man I would so love to have this as an option :( just because it looks cool no other reason lol

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info