Who has the best Name Contest!!!

I think the more likely case is that *you* think it's funny because it's not quite a taboo word, but it almost is.

Either way, it's childish at best, and just not funny at worst.
Last edited by Graiseperiod on May 12, 2017, 12:08:00 AM
"
Graiseperiod wrote:
I think the more likely case is that *you* think it's funny because it's not quite a taboo word, but it almost is.

Either way, it's childish at best, and just blatantly not funny at worst.

Yes that as well. Puns are always humourous, and theres nothing childish about them:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pun

"
The pun, also called paronomasia, is a form of word play that exploits multiple meanings of a term, or of similar-sounding words, for an intended humorous or rhetorical effect.[1][2] These ambiguities can arise from the intentional use of homophonic, homographic, metonymic, or figurative language. A pun differs from a malapropism in that a malapropism is an incorrect variation on a correct expression, while a pun involves expressions with multiple correct interpretations. Puns may be regarded as in-jokes or idiomatic constructions, as their usage and meaning are specific to a particular language and its culture.

Puns have a long history in human writing. Sumerian cuneiform and Egyptian hieroglyphs were originally based on punning systems, and the Roman playwright Plautus was famous for his puns and word games.[3][4] Punning has been credited as the fundamental concept behind alphabets, writing, and even human civilization

(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
Last edited by bhavv on May 12, 2017, 12:08:53 AM
"
Graiseperiod wrote:

Either way, it's childish at best, and just not funny at worst.
A mature person simply is mature and doesnt give a fuck about other people being mature or not

The real problem are people declaring themselve as Mature and accusing everybody else of not being mature

Grosso Modo: Playing pretend is much more childish than being yourself
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
Last edited by Sexcalibure on May 12, 2017, 12:10:41 AM
I understand what a pun is. Your's just isn't funny, it's debased.

I will give you an example of a good pun:

"CunningLinguists"

It has 2 meanings, and is actually a play on words.

Your's is just a word that sounds kinda like a word your mommy told you not to say. Not clever at all. I don't even think it fits the definition of a pun, since it doesn't meet any of the criteria in your wiki link.
Last edited by Graiseperiod on May 12, 2017, 12:13:01 AM
"
Graiseperiod wrote:
I understand what a pun is. Your's just isn't funny, it's debased.

I will give you an example of a good pun:

"CunningLinguists"

It has 2 meanings, and is actually a play on words.

Yours is just a word that sounds kinda like a word your mommy told you not to say. Not clever at all.

Its not funny to you personally. You do not get to decide as a whole what is or is not funny to everyone else.

Lots of people have commented ingame that my character names are the best / funniest they've ever seen. Lots of people have also commented that they are the most offensive names they have ever seen.

Personal opinions differ, you cannot hold universal judgement based off what just one group of people thinks over another.

And tbh words themselves are merely a string of letters. Its the definitions we apply to them, as well as he contexts that they are used in that determines their definitions. There is nothing inherently offensive by just a string of letters.

Ive personally challenged and gotten two words allowed in character names in this game now that originally were not allowed, cock and niggardly. I suppose you try getting over it if you can. Both times I did this, I already put up with facing mass hatred and attacks from the PoE community which didnt even bother me in the slightest, so theres little you can do or say to phase me.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
Last edited by bhavv on May 12, 2017, 12:22:28 AM
You sure stand up for things that truly matter

This reminds me of the time that idubbbz was accused of being racist for his overuse of the n word. Sure you can say it's for comedic effect, but when you use it so much one has to wonder if it's just obsession at that point.
Last edited by Graiseperiod on May 12, 2017, 12:51:09 AM
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
"
Graiseperiod wrote:
You sure stand up for things that truly matter

This reminds me of the time that idubbbz was accused of being racist for his overuse of the n word. Sure you can say it's for comedic effect, but when you use it so much one has to wonder if it's just obsession at that point.

If the N word is used in a song but they bleep it out (E.G. Janet Jackson), does that make it less or not racist?

American music is so full of that word I have no clue how anyone can still be bothered by it.

And yes, unfettered free speech really matters, as also does the context in which words are written or spoken. Language is suffering too much and we need to do everything we can to help it.

- PoE TOS.
Most of my character names are used seriously and thematically, but I have a few "for fun" names I use for stupid meme builds I come up with. Here are a few of my favorites from each:

THE INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS NAMES:
Acrobat
Annulment
Dilettante
Restraint
Juxtaposition
Jurisdiction
Conversion
Nihilism
Treachery

OMGLMAOWTFBBQ NAMES:
Penetration
BillNyeVaalScienceGuy
MisterTorgue_Flexington

Technically I use Penetration thematically for pierce builds/actual penetration builds (like something using xoph's blood or agnerod staves), but the reactions I get from it alone throw it into the bottom category.
Bring back race seasons.
Last edited by AbdulAlhazred on May 12, 2017, 2:43:53 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info