Prizes for new Default/Hardcore leagues

"
Manator wrote:
Now please play a week and tell me how many you find.
If you want to know REAL value of these orbs, just remove rewards from races and watch them skyrocket.

If you want to play races, be my guest, but this is not supposed to be main income of high valuable orbs.

My roommate wanted to do the week race but didn't have the time for it. I explained to him that I was able to get to 60 in about 15-20 hours of play. Getting to 30 is basically a 5-7 hour commitment going slow. So even if he can only do an hour a day or can put in 2-3 a day, he will get a decent reward for it. 8 to 32 orbs isn't going to make anyone rich but it does give you enough to trade for an item or two, also allows you to reroll some stuff you already have.

News for those who don't play much, I've been on mumble with these guys who win all the time and they don't usually play regular leagues anymore. They run races or practice for races letting their stacks of exalteds/gcps or whatever just collect dust in their stash.

I mean really, Panda wins or places top ten in every race basically. Do you see him in the trade forums every day or in global bragging about his insane gear? Dude probably has a page of exalteds he'll never use.
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
Hmmm, reading between the lines of the proposals Chris and the GGG team has attempted, I suppose a rally style timed waypoint system was one of the easily bypassed options...
That way you could play at your own pace, and your progress is timed, so an exp/time ratio can be calculated from that and extrapolated, so someone who plays a total of 50000 hours can be compared with someone who is able to only play for 50 hours by the end of the race. Can be easily abused by the boosting Chris mentioned though. Perhaps logs can be checked for cheating?

Pretty much every game, expecially online mmos, and particularly FTP ones rewards players with higher rewards the more time they er, invest *cough* into their game, opportunity cost-wise though, they are more of an expense (server load etc).

Hope a middle way can be found for us. If I can be a no-life loafer hard core pro gamer, I would. But I gotta eat. I'd rather play POE :(
POE is a constantly evolving game, so expect balance changes, buffs and nerfs STILL!
Sweet, demigod's for me, i plan on taking 8th or so in hc ladder <3
Last edited by Xendran on Oct 8, 2012, 4:54:10 AM
"
Manator wrote:
"
Burgingham wrote:
"Easy rewards"

People who stay alive in races up till very high levels earned their rewards. They are by no means easy. Case in point? People complaining about others getting these rewards.

Those easy rewards as you call them are one of the major incentives this game has a long term appeal to me and many others. I want there to be many, many more races once this game goes live. Not less or none.

Staying alive till 60 lvl isn't hard. I haven't played a lot but i still managed to get with one of my chars up to lvl 60 without dying, so it is not a problem for a more experienced player. I don't complain about others getting rewards, i just want them to be adequate.
I can't participate in races, because i have a job, real life issues and so on.
But i play this game and tell you, i haven't had GCP or above (in terms of trade value) orb drop in a whole playtime, tell me THAT is rewarding.

"All characters over level 60 will receive 32 random currency items.
All characters over level 50 will receive 24 random currency items.
All characters over level 40 will receive 16 random currency items.
All characters over level 30 will receive 8 random currency items."

Do not tell me those rewards quoted above are hard earned. I bet you can get several exalts or divines or GCP, because "These are weighted equally".

If you want to know REAL value of these orbs, just remove rewards from races and watch them skyrocket.

If you want to play races, be my guest, but this is not supposed to be main income of high valuable orbs.

I really agree with this. We'll probably experiment with different prize structures in the three-hour leagues that feed into the new default/hardcore. They're meant to be about racing for the sake of racing, rather than about getting more wealth than you do through normal play. Having said that, there will still be some prizes. More information in a few days, I guess.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
The only thing that needs to be done to make time-limited leagues "fair" (in the sense that you can't boost a character with secondary accounts) is to disable parties. You'd still have people participating on multiple accounts just for the sake of getting more characters to the top, but that'll always happen when multiple accounts are allowed per person.

I would definitely be interested in such a race.
Last edited by Thunderflux on Oct 8, 2012, 5:42:47 AM
"
Thunderflux wrote:
The only thing that needs to be done to make time-limited leagues "fair" (in the sense that you can't boost a character with secondary accounts) is to disable parties. You'd still have people participating on multiple accounts just for the sake of getting more characters to the top, but that'll always happen when multiple accounts are allowed per person.

I would definitely be interested in such a race.
LOL disabling parties in the main HC / default leagues. I can see Chris doing that if I piss him off.
a). Change the weighting of the Reward Orbs so they are closer to those of Dropped Orbs.

b). Increase number of Reward Orbs at lowest levels & decrease number of Reward Orbs at highest levels.

Should result in: Less incentive for people to race specifically for Orbs. More incentive for player who won't get very far, whether due to lack of experience or availability/timing issue, to actually try.

There are plenty of more complicated ideas too but it is probably best to keep it simple!
99% of suggested changes would make the game easier. Thats why only 1% of suggested ideas are even worth considering.
"
arual wrote:
a). Change the weighting of the Reward Orbs so they are closer to those of Dropped Orbs.

b). Increase number of Reward Orbs at lowest levels & decrease number of Reward Orbs at highest levels.

Should result in: Less incentive for people to race specifically for Orbs. More incentive for player who won't get very far, whether due to lack of experience or availability/timing issue, to actually try.

There are plenty of more complicated ideas too but it is probably best to keep it simple!

I like the first idea, second sounds like a participation award in peewee football. "We don't have losers, everyone is a winner."
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
"
Chris wrote:
"
Manator wrote:
"
Burgingham wrote:
"Easy rewards"

People who stay alive in races up till very high levels earned their rewards. They are by no means easy. Case in point? People complaining about others getting these rewards.

Those easy rewards as you call them are one of the major incentives this game has a long term appeal to me and many others. I want there to be many, many more races once this game goes live. Not less or none.

Staying alive till 60 lvl isn't hard. I haven't played a lot but i still managed to get with one of my chars up to lvl 60 without dying, so it is not a problem for a more experienced player. I don't complain about others getting rewards, i just want them to be adequate.
I can't participate in races, because i have a job, real life issues and so on.
But i play this game and tell you, i haven't had GCP or above (in terms of trade value) orb drop in a whole playtime, tell me THAT is rewarding.

"All characters over level 60 will receive 32 random currency items.
All characters over level 50 will receive 24 random currency items.
All characters over level 40 will receive 16 random currency items.
All characters over level 30 will receive 8 random currency items."

Do not tell me those rewards quoted above are hard earned. I bet you can get several exalts or divines or GCP, because "These are weighted equally".

I really agree with this. We'll probably experiment with different prize structures in the three-hour leagues that feed into the new default/hardcore. They're meant to be about racing for the sake of racing, rather than about getting more wealth than you do through normal play. Having said that, there will still be some prizes. More information in a few days, I guess.

Then you should look into your drop rates though. They are way too low and crafting is way too random/the mechanic of randomizing the outcomes too much so that you might be left off with less than what you started with after investing hundreds of orbs is bad gameplay.

Also, nobody competes for the sake of competition (well unless you are 12). People compete to win the sweet loot.
"
Burgingham wrote:

Also, nobody competes for the sake of competition (well unless you are 12). People compete to win the sweet loot.

This is just not true. I am 37 years old, and I love the events. I try to do better than I did the time before and think of ways in which I could get further or improve my game play. I *like* competition for the sake of competition. If there weren't rewards for events, people would still participate for the sake of competition.

For me, events have become more what I want to do, rather than progress a main character. I try something new or a tweak of something old each time it's different. The fresh economy puts everyone on even footing, and folks like making deals. The zones even smell cleaner. My loot is always just that much shinier.

I wonder two things really:

Are the people worried over prizes during events people who participate in events?

If so, are these people upset they do not finish top 10?

I will admit to liking the prizes for doing events. It's like christmas for me whenever prizes are awarded. I just love everything about it.

I have never finished close to top 10. I do not have the time or expertise to do so, but I love the challenge of it every time and expect the best every time.

I think all of the people worrying over orbs from events need to drink the kool-aid already and just jump in with the rest of us that are having so much fun. =)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info