Do you think Act Bosses are a little bit underwhelming by design?

"
I'm mostly disappointed in the lack of reward for finishing a boss
it's like "cool, go to the next area we're done giving you shit"

This...

Very few games have bosses that require strategy or special skills to be able to kill... Even mmo games have mostly the old tank and spank style raids.

I wish the bosses in poe had a little better drops, maybe not drop tables but at least better chances for real loot. Maybe a good chance for mid level orbs to drop so those of is that enjoy crafting and not trading had a little support lol.
"
Hodari wrote:
"
Completed 1 Challengeboof wrote:

Act 3 isn't done, Piety isn't its main boss. If it was, I'd agree that Diablo is definitely more interesting than her

Even if she was the main boss of act 3, it wouldn't be fair to compare her to Diablo. More like Mephisto. And then I'd have to say Piety is much better than Mephisto.

Spoiler
At least Piety didn't get stuck on the Ledge...

You're right, I shit the bed there and forgot all about ole Meph. I'd give a slight edge to the Piety fight.
Dominus' design as a boss is pretty insane. You'll see.
I'd ask you to walk a mile in my shoes before judging me, but I like my shoes more than I care about your opinion of me.
Patiently waiting for the day when GGG releases a 'King Shit' title.

"What the fuck did I do?"
But eventually you learn how to fight preset bosses very easily, assuming you do it more than once. Piety seems pretty hard to a beginner, but once you see what moves she pulls, it's pretty easy. All bosses are like this.

The only way I can think of to keep bosses difficult is to have some sort of RNG factored into it. So basically everytime you fight the boss he has different attacks. Maybe one time he'll have Vall LAzers, transform like Piety, and crush like Kole. Maybe the next time he does chaos and physical damage in high numbers, and uses cyclone. Perhaps one will be immunes to DOT, and resistant to Totem attacks, and reflects like 10% of all damage

I'd like every battle to be unique, and to have to immediately adapt to my surroundings to survive. Otherwise bosses and even monsters in general become a snooze fest.
"You can't bash someone else's shitty taste in music when you listen to 'grindcore'" -TheWretch̢
Last edited by Fire_Kid on September 23, 2013 2:19 AM
Taking out all the knowns becomes boring though. You feel like you might as well not fight them instead of some other boss. Sacred 2 failed at this. Everything felt the same eventually, even though things were "different"... they were just always different.

Smart isn't random. Until we have the computing power to give these bosses some smarts, we're stuck playing on rails.
In my opinion....

Merveil is pretty much equally impressive as Andariel

Vaal Oversoul fight is better than Duriel fight, although the appearance of the boss leaves a lot to be desired (it looks like a crappy robot, at best)

Diablo >>>>> Piety (Anyone remember the shuddering ground, and the ominous voice "Not even Death can save you from me"?)

I'm looking forward to Dominus..

IGN: Grim_Marauder
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Taking out all the knowns becomes boring though. You feel like you might as well not fight them instead of some other boss. Sacred 2 failed at this. Everything felt the same eventually, even though things were "different"... they were just always different.

Smart isn't random. Until we have the computing power to give these bosses some smarts, we're stuck playing on rails.

I suppose you're right.

Well either way we'll have shitty bosses until 2042, where we get something better.
"You can't bash someone else's shitty taste in music when you listen to 'grindcore'" -TheWretch̢
Unlike D2 you don't grind act bosses end game here.

You go to maps.

Calling map vaal, piety, mageara, etc. underwhelming is just - lol.

Those forms of bosses with their potential danger mods from maps as part of the leveling/act progress would be ridiculous.

So again not sure how you can compare the end game content of 1 game to the leveling content of another.
IGN: VistaChris
"
Dominus' design as a boss is pretty insane. You'll see.

If Dominus dies in act 3, I'll be majorly disappointed. The head honcho of everyone in the ebony legion, and the man solely responsible for sending you to Wraeclast who wishes to uncover the power behind Sarn's fall to become godlike, then gets killed without even surviving an act.
I am the lord of the dead, flesh and spirit bend to my will!
Act 3x is likely to conclude this arc, so it wouldn't surprise me. I get the feeling that Dominus has been watching our progress. He exiles so many people, but not many of them even make it to shore. Of those, I would presume many become the cannibals we have to fight off. Some get stuck at Lioneye's Watch, some become bandits.

I am fairly sure we've got his attention by the time we reach Sarn. A showdown is inevitable.

I don't see Dominus as the big bad of Wraeclast though. The Ebony Legion haven't really got that much of a foothold in Sarn, and Sarn is still relatively close to the coast. There's a whole continent inland from where acts 1-3 are played out, and I'm willing to bet there'll be scarier things in there than some power-crazy god-wannabe used to ruling over the sheep of Oriath.
I'd ask you to walk a mile in my shoes before judging me, but I like my shoes more than I care about your opinion of me.
Patiently waiting for the day when GGG releases a 'King Shit' title.

"What the fuck did I do?"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info