Do you think Act Bosses are a little bit underwhelming by design?

They look like it, to me at least. I know it's not a good idea to blindly compare PoE to D2 when the latter has had years of experience behind, act bosses in this game really are nothing compared to D2 act bosses.

Let's look at act bosses:

Act 1 = Angry Squid Woman

Act 2 = Vacuum Cleaner

Act 3 = Angry Magician Woman

Man, it's like we're fighting housewives and their equipment.

Jokes aside, they are not memorable at all. Remember your first encounter with Duriel? I sure do, the sudden appearance, that unholy frost nova, and the fast movements of the boss gave me chills to the bone.

The only thing I can vaguely remember when I think of Vaal Oversoul is the laser gun it had, and that's mostly because it feels kind of technological as opposed to be emanating from an evil power.
Last edited by Millennium on Sep 22, 2013, 7:00:46 PM
"
Millennium wrote:
that unholy frost nova...gave me chills to the bone.

That's why you need cold resist ;)
I still have increased heart beats when I have to fight Vaal. Lost a HC fire witch to it and left the game for a week or 2 afterwards. Piety's ice shots make me almost have a heart attack also, Merveil was hard when I first started and did not know much about resists or even her attacks.

New weaver is scary as well. I think each person it has it's own terror or easy sauce depending on the memories gain in the adventure itself. Someone with a strong build from the start might not recall much fear, someone with a self made build...might face terror if that self made build isn't so viable. It's a case by case basis.
"
Millennium wrote:

Man, it's like we're fighting housewives and their equipment.

ROFL
"Man, it's like we're fighting housewives and their equipment." - Millennium
Merveil is literally the same shit as Andriel.

Vaal Oversoul is a much more interesting fight than Duriel, despite its hoover-like appearance.

Act 3 isn't done, Piety isn't its main boss. If it was, I'd agree that Diablo is definitely more interesting than her, but we'll see what they do with Dominus.
Last edited by boof on Sep 22, 2013, 7:55:13 PM
Merveil hasn't been bad on both difficult settings I have taken her on. Vaal and Piety are pain in the rears on Cruel though so I cam only imagine they are even worst on Merciless. The maps that lead to Piety on Cruel ramp up in terms of difficulty quite a bit.
"
boof wrote:

Act 3 isn't done, Piety isn't its main boss. If it was, I'd agree that Diablo is definitely more interesting than her

Even if she was the main boss of act 3, it wouldn't be fair to compare her to Diablo. More like Mephisto. And then I'd have to say Piety is much better than Mephisto.

Spoiler
At least Piety didn't get stuck on the Ledge...
The D2 bosses were really weak, mainly due to AI problems. Our bosses at least mix it up a little. Still, it would be much better if they were weaker but at the same time more intelligent. They've been given powerful attacks to make up for their lack of ability to use them properly. I'd much rather see attacks on the same scale as the players but handled with greater intelligence.
I'm mostly disappointed in the lack of reward for finishing a boss
it's like "cool, go to the next area we're done giving you shit"
"
Warhaul wrote:
I'm mostly disappointed in the lack of reward for finishing a boss
it's like "cool, go to the next area we're done giving you shit"

This...

Very few games have bosses that require strategy or special skills to be able to kill... Even mmo games have mostly the old tank and spank style raids.

I wish the bosses in poe had a little better drops, maybe not drop tables but at least better chances for real loot. Maybe a good chance for mid level orbs to drop so those of is that enjoy crafting and not trading had a little support lol.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info