Is this game really going to launch with desync?

I agree that they shouldn't officially release the game as long as desync hasn't improved significantly. Yeah, I know, it wont go away completely but it is possible to handle it in a way that allows you to play the game without experiencing annoying desyncs frequently. It is okay as long as the game is flagged as a beta but a "finished" game shouldn't have such technical problems.

Edit:
"
Jined wrote:
Where is the official response about desync by the devs?

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/318115
Last edited by kruemel2222 on Sep 22, 2013, 7:18:03 PM
Well, I just read that whole thing, but didn't have to. The author clearly stated 3 designs at the beginning, but after that the article just assumed their chosen design was written in stone and all further explanation was written around that.

They should of put a lot of that work into filtering cheating, to let combat and movement mechanics run fully on the client. Shouldn't every instance have qualifiers that set run limitations, limitations that can be less heavy to check for validation?

I would like to add that I appreciate their point of view, but I'm just not too sure if that view should be taken with games that are not FPS or more realtime based. This game isn't so much about realtime anything as much as it is about inventory control (loot). I understand the cracks they are trying to avoid, but it just seems those could be caught more on an individual basis.
Last edited by Jined on Sep 22, 2013, 8:07:47 PM
*Logs into game*
*hits enter*
*types /oos*
*highlights /oos*
*ctrl + c*
*then enter - ctrl + v as needed*
*repeat*
"
danzha wrote:
"
Wraeclastian wrote:

GGG may have made desync work the way it does to combat hackers and botters but the only people they are really hurting are the legit players.

...By ensuring legit players don't have to deal with the scourge that is hacking/botting.

Instead those hackers/botters just use map hacks and multi-box a full group of characters and exploit the loot bonus of having a full group ending up with the same results.
Remember when I won a screenshot contest and made everyone butt-hurt? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
In one case, the loot is still random. With hacks, its not. Btw, theres a fix for map hacks already in the works.
What maphacks, map reveal? They're going to fix a client side hack, or just break existing ones and wait for them to be reworked...then rebroken? Of course they could just sync map revealed to the server as well, adding yet another element to desync problems.

But what about zoom? This is a very high degree of dictation on comfortable game play. However, I'm feeling the real reason they don't allow it is because it would break many graphical elements, not too mention the game would feel even smaller/shorter than it already is.
"
Jined wrote:
What maphacks, map reveal? They're going to fix a client side hack, or just break existing ones and wait for them to be reworked...then rebroken? Of course they could just sync map revealed to the server as well, adding yet another element to desync problems.

But what about zoom? This is a very high degree of dictation on comfortable game play. However, I'm feeling the real reason they don't allow it is because it would break many graphical elements, not too mention the game would feel even smaller/shorter than it already is.

Chris laid it out in detail what the fix will be. Maps are static btw, having the client call for the whole map wont matter with sync issues.

Desync really only occurs with several things. One being doorways. The second being minute deviations in monster positioning. Such as knock back. And last, from certain hard to predict skills, such as flicker multi, cyclone, and wb.
Desync will always exist. What people mean to complain about is that the game doesn't cover it up as well as some other games, or even well at all really.

I don't mind desync and rubberbanding. What I do want is for the detection to be faster. I can usually tell that I'm desynced a good 4-5 seconds before the game rubberbands me. That is quite a bit too long.

Monster collision is another huge reason for it. Dynamic obstacles are bad for out-of-sync parallel pathing prediction.

I really would rather deal with this level of desync(with quicker rubberbanding) than deal with the issues brought on by trusting the client. There isn't a method to combat hacking client-side if the client had trust. Once you let your code's decisions be made on other's machines, you already lost the fight.
I like how the OP acts like the long dev response in the manifesto doesn't exist.

If you don't like the answer the devs have given and you think they are lieing or whatever then I have no idea why your still playing the game.
Standard Forever
"
iamstryker wrote:
If you don't like the answer the devs have given and you think they are lieing or whatever then I have no idea why your still playing the game.

+1
Devs should put a public announcement on the main page about how bad desync is and that it's never gonna get fixed, so people just read it, uninstall the game, and never come back.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info