Blue Screen of Death with some sound cards

Using the Steam version, I'm still getting BSOD after using -swa. Is there a Steam equivalent for --nosound? I would like to be able to take the sound card out of the equation entirely to determine whether the problem is sound, graphics, or my CPU.
"
Warbeak wrote:
Using the Steam version, I'm still getting BSOD after using -swa. Is there a Steam equivalent for --nosound? I would like to be able to take the sound card out of the equation entirely to determine whether the problem is sound, graphics, or my CPU.

--nosound should work in Steam as well. Just add it to the launch parameters.
"
Drakier wrote:

--nosound should work in Steam as well. Just add it to the launch parameters.

Good call, --nosound worked (to get rid of the sound, anyway). Hopefully that's the end of my issues.
I've never had any problems before today and I was playing for all of about 20 minutes. Tried to zone into Chamber of Sins level 1 from Crossroads and I immediately get a BSOD. I reload the game to see if it occurs again and sure enough, trying to zone into Chamber of Sins results in the same BSOD. I alt+tab out to see if there are any error messages and I'm presented with multiple windows referring to OGG files.

Ironically enough, I can zone into multiple other areas EXCEPT for the Chamber of Sins. However, I then try to go elsewhere and out of nowhere I get another BSOD.

Any of the hyphen "temporary fixes" have done nothing. I haven't ever had any problems with this game since this last patch. I spent $270 buying the supporter pack because I loved this game but now I am extremely let down and that I've dumped my hard earned money into something that I can no longer access.

Please do something about this quickly. I love the game but now I'm left without the ability to play.

Don't make my money go to waste, that is all I'm asking.
I have the creative X-Fi sound card. I can't follow the directions given however, because my regedit doesn't display a drivers folder in the directory given. Any ideas what I can do? Once it get to the desired folder, there is one file called "Default" and a folder called Database (-> a couple more folders which all have "default" or "Default" & "installresource"
------------------------

#BondOfPain: "No place is a sh***y place when you get to kill apes with a stick"
"
nytehaven wrote:
I've never had any problems before today and I was playing for all of about 20 minutes. Tried to zone into Chamber of Sins level 1 from Crossroads and I immediately get a BSOD. I reload the game to see if it occurs again and sure enough, trying to zone into Chamber of Sins results in the same BSOD. I alt+tab out to see if there are any error messages and I'm presented with multiple windows referring to OGG files.

Ironically enough, I can zone into multiple other areas EXCEPT for the Chamber of Sins. However, I then try to go elsewhere and out of nowhere I get another BSOD.

Any of the hyphen "temporary fixes" have done nothing. I haven't ever had any problems with this game since this last patch. I spent $270 buying the supporter pack because I loved this game but now I am extremely let down and that I've dumped my hard earned money into something that I can no longer access.

Please do something about this quickly. I love the game but now I'm left without the ability to play.

Don't make my money go to waste, that is all I'm asking.

Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear you're having this trouble. If you could please email us a copy of your DxDiag, we can look at other possible causes for this issue. Our email address is support@grindinggear.com, and here is a guide to generate a DxDiag report: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Poq-BorOSHU

"
oxidious wrote:
I have the creative X-Fi sound card. I can't follow the directions given however, because my regedit doesn't display a drivers folder in the directory given. Any ideas what I can do? Once it get to the desired folder, there is one file called "Default" and a folder called Database (-> a couple more folders which all have "default" or "Default" & "installresource"

Did you first try the -swa and -ns strings?
"
Fillmore wrote:
I don't use Steam.
"E:\Program Files\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\Client.exe" --softwareaudio
using XP Pro does not work, 2 BSOD so far, second one was using WP from Solaris L2 to Docks which managed to put me into Default League :_(

I started back playing from being off for awhile and The Docks was a place where I had this issue before where it would crash when I tried to enter, I could hear some audio repeating as it crashed. But before it was not BSOD; since 1.00 release it has been BSOD and crash report being sent to MS.

SB X-Fi audio.

It seems my issue is with my video card drivers (ATI Radeon 6850 - latest drivers) at least according to the error report feedback from Microsoft. They say install latest drivers which I have, they say if that doesn't work turn off hardware acceleration, but I can't play the game w/o that (it won't even start).

What actually happens with great frequency is a hard crash when I quit the game.
"
Fillmore wrote:
"
Fillmore wrote:
I don't use Steam.
"E:\Program Files\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\Client.exe" --softwareaudio
using XP Pro does not work, 2 BSOD so far, second one was using WP from Solaris L2 to Docks which managed to put me into Default League :_(

I started back playing from being off for awhile and The Docks was a place where I had this issue before where it would crash when I tried to enter, I could hear some audio repeating as it crashed. But before it was not BSOD; since 1.00 release it has been BSOD and crash report being sent to MS.

SB X-Fi audio.

It seems my issue is with my video card drivers (ATI Radeon 6850 - latest drivers) at least according to the error report feedback from Microsoft. They say install latest drivers which I have, they say if that doesn't work turn off hardware acceleration, but I can't play the game w/o that (it won't even start).

What actually happens with great frequency is a hard crash when I quit the game.

Have you tried using -ns / --nosound?

As for drivers, you may want to try using the older ones, specifically 12.4 & 12.10(if --nosound doesn't change anything).
I will try nosound but I am pretty sure it actually is a video issue; the last time it happened I noticed that things had stopped highlighting the way they used to (like vendors' bodies) and when I quit I went to desktop and as soon as I clicked on something the mouse cursor froze I got a beep and a hard lockup. If I get the problem again with --nosound then I will try drivers only with no CCC and if that doesn't do it I will try a driver rollback to one of the ones you suggested.
Yes I tried the -softwareaudio and -nosound options...it lasted a while longer than usual but i still got one...within 30 minutes instead of before it was more like 10-15min
------------------------

#BondOfPain: "No place is a sh***y place when you get to kill apes with a stick"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info