Blue Screen of Death with some sound cards

In the future it would be nice to support discrete sound cards like the one I have.

Thanks.
Had 3 BSOD's myself since I started playing yesterday (interestingly never had any in closed beta), so I'll try this --softwareaudio trick and let you know how it goes.

I believe the BSOD reads something like Page_Fault_In_Unpaged_Area or something like that. If there's a next time, I'll write it down.

2/3 times it's happened it's been when I went to use a town portal I tossed out in the world.

System:
Win 7 64-bit
i7 930 @ 3.9GHz (stable for years)
Asus Rampage III Extreme
Gigabyte 670 WF3 OC (oc'd but stable for months)
6GB Corsair XMS
Creative X-Fi Platinum (PCI-Ex)

I'm running the game downsampled from 2880x1800 to 1920x1200. Sure looks a LOT better, for those of you with nice GPU's, this game is super-easy to run even maxed out, might as well give your card a little challenge via downsampling the image.
Senior Moderator at Overclock.net (Graphics Cards & PSU Forums)
Rig 1: i7 930@4.0GHz*Gigabyte GTX670 WF3 (1300c/7000m)*Asus R3X*Titanium X-Fi*Raven RV-03*Enermax Revolution 850W*Asus 1920x1200 Monitor
Rig 2: Acer TimelineX 3830 13.4" Laptop (i5 SB Dualie + HT (2.6GHz), GT540m (750c/950m))
Last edited by brettjv on Jan 27, 2013, 3:25:03 AM
I have a X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro too on a Vista 32 bit system. I play without the comment "software" an i haven´t BSOD´s.

I have already two BSOD, but not in normal playing. I would go briefly afk. So i have placed my character somewhere in the world. After about 30 seconds, and only then, the BSOD say hallo.
"
brettjv wrote:
Had 3 BSOD's myself since I started playing yesterday (interestingly never had any in closed beta), so I'll try this --softwareaudio trick and let you know how it goes.

I believe the BSOD reads something like Page_Fault_In_Unpaged_Area or something like that. If there's a next time, I'll write it down.

2/3 times it's happened it's been when I went to use a town portal I tossed out in the world.

System:
Win 7 64-bit
i7 930 @ 3.9GHz (stable for years)
Asus Rampage III Extreme
Gigabyte 670 WF3 OC (oc'd but stable for months)
6GB Corsair XMS
Creative X-Fi Platinum (PCI-Ex)

I'm running the game downsampled from 2880x1800 to 1920x1200. Sure looks a LOT better, for those of you with nice GPU's, this game is super-easy to run even maxed out, might as well give your card a little challenge via downsampling the image.

How would you go about down sampling from the highest setting to 1920x1080 and can you do that full screen or is it only windowed mode?

I am curious because I have a 6970 and I want to see what it is made of. That and if it looks better and I can run it smoothly why not.

The last time I played I tried turning off skype as mentioned in an earlier post. I am also using softwareaudio except that wasn't fixing the issue. I did manage to play for a while without any issues with skype not running. I am going to keep playing without skype running and see if I can make it an hour or 2 without problems. If I end up not having any issues I will report back with all the info on everything I have seen so far regarding skype the sound card I use and the dump files etc.

I really want to get into this game long term. So I hope we can narrow down the cause and get a fix.
So, based on these complaints, this 'BSODing' only happens to people using non-integrated sound devices right?
"
soulblade64 wrote:
I've blue-screened twice now entering the Chamber of Sin, I do have a Creative X-Fi sound card and Windows 7 as well... Do you need any dump files to work out this problem?

Does the --softwareaudio fix this problem?

I constantly get BSOD's upon entering CoS. Will try now with --softwareaudio and see if it works. Using an Audigy 2 ZS PCI card.
Yup, can also confirm this fix resolved the COS BSOD. Also using Creative X-fi card.
"
So, based on these complaints, this 'BSODing' only happens to people using non-integrated sound devices right?

Yes but that doesn't mean you won't blue screen because of other drivers in the system or that it can't happen with onboard audio.

The problem seems to be mostly with creative sound cards though other people have had it happen because of network adapter drivers. Realtek network adapter drivers to be exact and they also make onboard audio so it wouldn't be a surprise if it could happen.
I've been experiencing BSODs aswell and I have a Creative soundcard. Before I applied the --softwareaudio fix I only crashed when using waypoints or portals and it worked fine for the rest of the evening after I applied the fix, but now the day after the BSODs have returned and this time they happen more randomly. Whether I'm fighting or simply running through a field with my friends it just randomly blue screens. Heck, it even BSODed when I logged out to character select screen.

For those who want to know I have Creative SB X-Fi.
Got BSOD 2 or 3 times yesterday.

Sound card Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD
Driver version 6.0.300.1004
Last edited by DDWannabe on Jan 27, 2013, 12:19:11 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info