Flame Totem

"
Vipermagi wrote:
Of note; Auras do not affect Totems. However, they use Skills with your stats, and since you cast faster with Haste, so do they. This is a pretty great thing, because it means you don't have to be anywhere close to your Totem to have it benefit from the Aura :)


I see this stated everywhere, yet the wiki contradicts this. I'm assuming the wiki is out of date then? Can anyone confirm/deny?

"
Since the totem is an ally, it will be affected by any auras projected by the player or by allies of the player, including auras from dominated or converted enemies. Similarly, any auras projected by the totem will affect all of the player's allies, including minions and party members.

http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Totem
they just use your stats for skills used. if you're benefiting from something that you normally would have without the totem, then it does to regardless of where it is.
"
Amaraethus wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Of note; Auras do not affect Totems. However, they use Skills with your stats, and since you cast faster with Haste, so do they. This is a pretty great thing, because it means you don't have to be anywhere close to your Totem to have it benefit from the Aura :)


I see this stated everywhere, yet the wiki contradicts this. I'm assuming the wiki is out of date then? Can anyone confirm/deny?

"
Since the totem is an ally, it will be affected by any auras projected by the player or by allies of the player, including auras from dominated or converted enemies. Similarly, any auras projected by the totem will affect all of the player's allies, including minions and party members.

http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Totem
That's not out of date, it's just wrong. Totems are not, and never have been, affected by auras. This is because many auras would make no sense on totems, as they don't use their own stats to back skills.
"Not a bug, just math." - Vipermagi
Great. Thanks for clearing that up, Mark.
so i was trying flame totem skill cuz i was thinking about running a flame totem templar in the 1 week race i was going through lunaris temple and come across mobs that use arctic armor and my totem could hit a shit on them the totem did no dmg at all unless it crits. this is something that needs to be reworked, cant have this shit if you really want this spell to be used
"
whiteboba wrote:
so i was trying flame totem skill cuz i was thinking about running a flame totem templar in the 1 week race i was going through lunaris temple and come across mobs that use arctic armor and my totem could hit a shit on them the totem did no dmg at all unless it crits. this is something that needs to be reworked, cant have this shit if you really want this spell to be used


Edit - Just got a clarification from Mark that mobs' Arctic Armour skill is working as intended. Use Fire Trap to get around it, as it has a big burst effect and degen that isn't effected by AA. The skill is intended to hard counter lots of small hits like Flame Totem's, so there won't be a change to it.
Last edited by Amaraethus on March 26, 2013 12:43 AM
The mana cost doesnt make sense.
YAWCK

"
Amaraethus wrote:
"
whiteboba wrote:
so i was trying flame totem skill cuz i was thinking about running a flame totem templar in the 1 week race i was going through lunaris temple and come across mobs that use arctic armor and my totem could hit a shit on them the totem did no dmg at all unless it crits. this is something that needs to be reworked, cant have this shit if you really want this spell to be used


Edit - Just got a clarification from Mark that mobs' Arctic Armour skill is working as intended. Use Fire Trap to get around it, as it has a big burst effect and degen that isn't effected by AA. The skill is intended to hard counter lots of small hits like Flame Totem's, so there won't be a change to it.


Stuff like this is not working as intended as far as I am concerned. Many other plain spell totems are already more attractive. It is similar to the melee issue if you need to carry more spells around to compensate your main ability you will be less powerful and less effective than other spells. Freezing pulse doesn't have this issue, lightning arrow doesn't have this issue... heck we can run kaoms because they are "beat it all in one" spells. If you look at melee you carry and AoE and a single target skill, plus a few active skill such as enduring cry (note others classes generate charges with an attack ability, can use that ability as a main attack!) etc...

There is a fundamental flaw with skills if some deal great single target damage, great (the best) AoE damage and adding a very nice status ailment (shock, chill, freeze)... all that in one package, while other less powerful skills and spells do not even compare. It is not like flametotem is OP, in fact in terms of damage it can be rather underwhelming and here we add mobs that are immune to it. So more sockets and more slots on other abilities to compensate are needed. Add to this fact that trap and mines are somewhat on the opposite of the tree from the totem nodes, this is just silly. Also relying on firetraps to compensate, while traps themselves are rather flawed endgame (need of multiple trap gems on gear), your suggestion seems rather silly.

There needs to be more attention to the entire picture of spells. If it deals less damage, if it has almost no chance to put on a status ailment due to damage effectiveness, if the base crit chance is lower, if you require better or more socket support and if it requires a lot mroe mana than things start to seem off.

Are these issues compensated with a new mechanic (very high attack/ cast rate) the fact it is a totem? The way popular builds and every party tends to tailor to the same skills if you play in endgame parties I would say that the compensation/ system seems off.

All that being said I still love my knockback totem, the only thing that beats desync in this game. Flametotem will need a power up the day desync gets fixed and it loses its use.





is flame totem still viable with incinerate + spell totem?
"
Lootfool wrote:
is flame totem still viable with incinerate + spell totem?


Because of the reduced cast time through spell totem and lesser damage I don't think it is superior to flame totem.
Last edited by AceNightfire on March 30, 2013 3:52 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info