Top 3 Mass Murderers Were Atheists

The top three mass murderers in all of world history were atheists.

Pol Pot.
Stalin.
Communist dictator and plebe slayer extraordinaire, Mao Zedong.
Last edited by barraclaw on Aug 28, 2013, 11:46:52 PM
"
barraclaw wrote:
The top three mass murderers in all of world history were atheists.

Pol Pot.
Stalin.
Communist dictator and plebe slayer extraordinaire, Mao Zedong.

Is this another Atheists must be evil and are responsible for everything bad thread? By the way, you forgot Hitler, there again, he may have been a Catholic...
He isn't in the top three. Nice try, though.
He's beating Pol Pot, the death toll of the Khmer Rouge look to be around 1.5 million, which is much less than the holocaust, also Hitler was an atheist. This is a pretty pointless topic though, because monsters all throughout history have had all sorts of religious affiliations, the only thing you're really proving here is that it's easier for atheists to rise to power now and that there are more people to kill now and it's easier.
Last edited by j33bus on Aug 29, 2013, 12:31:24 AM
Was Genghis Khan an Atheist? Damn, we better kill all the Atheists before they get us! Unless that would make us the worst mass murders in history. Wait! I'm getting confused. Could someone please explain to me what this has to do with me personally?
Well Hitler is debatable. He was Catholic but didn't follow it, thought Christianity was a religion for slaves, and expressed negative views of it in private. He was a member of good standing within the Catholic church, though, and wrote about it in Mein Kampf. He mainly made the public motions of being Christian, but didn't really subscribe to it. So maybe we call him half, just to avoid the unending debate on all that. So out of the top 4, we could say 3.5 were atheist.
Now you have peaked my curiosity. I assume you have discussed their believes with them? Or are you going by common beliefs?

Why I ask is public figures often lie about themselves to maintain a public personality for general consumption of their followers. Case in point, Hitler was brought up Catholic, but secretly was a mystic follower of a group I can't bothered to look up right now. He and his cronies put many priests to death without remorse (and just about everyone else). And while he hated Jewish people in particular, he believe all other races inferior. That was derived from Nordic beliefs, not Christianity.

Edit: Still doesn't make him an atheist.
And you think the total number of people killed by an atheist even comes close to the number of people killed in the name of a god?

Good luck with that.
Man_Mode
Yes. The 30 Years' War, arguably the most deadly of the religious wars involving Europe, is estimated to have had casualties from 3-11.5 million. The Crusades, the atheists' go to example, from 1100 to 1300, gave about 1-3 million. Mao alone did away with about 60 million Chinese.
http://www.examiner.com/article/refuting-the-myth-that-hitler-stalin-and-pol-pot-were-atheists

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info