Why does reave not work properly with Dual wield?

I was considering trying a Shadow life based build, with some ES buffer, making use of the leech on life instead of ES. Was debating grabbing VP aswell for a unique type of build, giving early access to power charges but a good reason to be using the life leech.

Overall the problem really feels like life leech onto ES from claws is overkill, especially with that cluster just by GR you get some ridiculous leech to the point that with no damage you are still leeching significant health back, but overall the crit + dps of a dagger with smaller leech gives you more than you need.

Going from 25% EHP to full in one hit is good, but if you are requiring 75% of your life each attack you are in trouble
If I had nice claws, I would've done a build with those too. I just happened to have one really nice dagger, and a good one. So, I started building him up with cleave until patch day, than switched.

If claw leech was instant, without VP, than yeah I would probably give one a go. Otherwise, I just fail to see the point.
"
Real_Wolf wrote:

So from your brief experiments conc effect is the primary DPS source, providing better than melee phys? I guess thats because all ele dmg is boosted

ya, ya I forgot to add I was running wrath too and I changed some jewellery for more lightning damage in place of +fire and phys damage on rings. I guess double strike is nerfing overall damage while boosting back phys, same with melee splash, where as conc was boosting everything without any flat reductions in the linkup so the extra ele was helping to bring it up towards the double strike + phys.

I actually found this sword (unsurprisingly) was ripping through mobs way better than the claws

despite the lackluster crit on a sword I feel like the speed might make them a strong candidate for a good reave build, esp if you can get a 2+ aps one.

I feel like the whole leeching with claws thing is a bit over the top. They have implicit leeching then get even more leeching from the tree, where daggers get implicit crit then tons of crit from tree. As said, the more you crit the more you damage the more you leech, so daggers are getting it all while claws are just getting the leech without damage. The daggers can move towards ghost reaver through the accuracy nodes too, where as the little claw cluster above takes an extra point to get to and doesnt link through to mind drinker, you have to go through power charges or up another point and through the 15% crit... its just more points for less stuff, esp if you dont use poc. I feel like falcon claws and from the shadows should both link to depth perception and the same int node below bloodthirst.

The setup sounds good slayer, Id like to see the gear and tree youre using there maybe if u dont mind posting em.
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
If I had nice claws, I would've done a build with those too. I just happened to have one really nice dagger, and a good one. So, I started building him up with cleave until patch day, than switched.

If claw leech was instant, without VP, than yeah I would probably give one a go. Otherwise, I just fail to see the point.

Is it worth dual wielding just for 10% more AS and 40-80% crit? It's like 10% more DPS and at most 8% crit chance difference, I'd rather get a good shield.
Old april 2012 account got stolen
Last edited by Freeslana on Aug 23, 2013, 4:35:22 AM
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
My current setup is Reave->melee phys->PCoC->crit dmg->Multistrike

Thanks for sharing your findings, I will be testing Reave on my crit dagger CI shadow yet, have to experiment a little, it seems.
Anticipation slowly dissipates...
"
Freeslana wrote:
"
SL4Y3R wrote:

Is it worth dual wielding just for 10% more AS and 40-80% crit? It's like 10% more DPS and at most 8% crit chance difference, I'd rather get a good shield.

It's building up the reave stacks that's important. If I were to do a build with a shield, I would probably swap out crit dmg for fast attacks. BUT there's a problem. Now you're at GGRRB, on, for my build, an ES chest.

Best of luck :)
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
BUT there's a problem. Now you're at GGRRB, on, for my build, an ES chest.

Like this? :)

Although this is still not the best EVA/ES chests, my Reavers will be using shields anyway.
Anticipation slowly dissipates...
Last edited by tmaciak on Aug 23, 2013, 9:00:21 AM
Nice chest. But pure es is more beneficial, for me.

If you use a shield, I do still suggest both ias and ms.
"
fIX THE PROBLEM ggg... SIPMPLE
"
TiltedAxis wrote:
Honestly, its ridiculous how little this game supports dual wielding, how difficult would it be to implement some extra benefit from dual wielding with reave, as cleave does?

Get on that, immediately GGG. Seriously. its necessary
I made a post in the reave skill feedback page, but then I came here and was quite a bit shocked to see one of the devs make a post saying that it was intended for this ability to work better with a shield than with dual wielding. I mean I really don't see how that is logical from any perspective.

You've got a shadow class, an int/dex class with lots of dual wielding nodes nearby, right in its starter tree. And you've got claws and daggers as int/dex weapons. I mean right at the get go it's logical to assume this was a class with two daggers and two claws in mind. You have the option of going anywhere you want, so whatever, but this is the intention from looking at the tree.
Then we get our int/dex abilities that work with daggers and claws: whirling blades, a perfect example of a skill you'd expect from this class. Puncture, again a great example. Of course these abilities suck for various reasons, but the idea works. And finally we were given reave, an ability that clearly works best with a shield.
Now I don't have anything against shields, but you clearly designed the class to work as a dual wielding claws and daggers class. Those are the nearby nodes, the buffs in the surrounding tree, and it's what the stats of the class go with: int/dex.

To say that an ability that CLEARLY works better with shields than it does with dual wielding is designed to work with the dual wielding class and is working as intended, well I just don't even know how to respond to that. It's like saying a spoon is designed to cut steaks and is working as intended.
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Aug 25, 2013, 2:42:57 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info