ELE LIGHTNING STRIKE - ALL T16s, Shaper, Uber Atziri, HOGM, Chayula, Elder

Hi there

Thanks for posting your build. I had a level 65 Ranger and don't like bow builds. Tried your build and am loving it!

I do play solo and self-found so I don't have all the gear pieces (missing Rainbow Strides and Soul Taker).

Here's my current gear and tree :

Started farming Dom at level 68 and haven't looked back! I fixed the mana issue by changing Melee Splash with Blood Magic. Single target dps is better and aoe isn't so much worse that it bothers you. If I ever manage to chance Soul Taker I will ofcourse change back.

I'm waiting for Abyssus to drop because I want to try this build without BoR.

I plan to use Abyssus with

What are your thoughts on that, is this build possible without BoR?

Thanks!
3.3 RF Trickster SSF HC guide :

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2147256
Last edited by Rusherboy on Mar 22, 2014, 5:48:50 AM
"
Ceryneian wrote:
"
JinglyGoo wrote:
Hi Ceryneian

Thanks for the guide, i have been somewhat following it on Ambush. Can you let me know if you think i ve made any mistakes with it. I originally ran mind drinker but specced out of it as i find bloodmagic to be a nice quality of life improvement.

Also im using Reave, as it removes the need for Melee Splash in the BoR set up. Do you think its better than double strike at all? I have 0.12 attack speed with it and seems to be working pretty well.

Still gearing up atm as i just hit 67 ( BoR land) but so far:
Gear

New weapon and boots(?) are the next to get.

Skill Tree
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAtAEfgSxBukILgkhFfAa2xutG8ghAyaVJ2EwfDiWOlg94j7PQzFHfkjuSn1MYE4qUUdT31VLVvpY21uvXhNh4mVNZfFnoG17bml0rniueUh9dX8rhNmHGYd2h9uMNo2_lWaZK5uDm42mf6p_qrirxayvr-uxs7VItkG3F7fTu3y9gb3mvqfDhs3q037WitfL2j3bVd0N3vbndOeR6NbrFO1B7g75Y_zF_ro=

I would like to run grace,hatred and Tempest shield but i am not sure its possible without the reserve mana nodes. Where do you think my next 15 skill points should go to. I guess 5-6 can go into life but im not sure as for the rest. Is Leather and Steel worth spending 2 skill points on?

What do you think? I would appreciate any help.

Regards

Hey man, thanks for trying the build. I recommend you get the following:
- Revenge of the Hunted, and then decide between the following:
- Duelist and Ranger life nodes / DPS axe nodes / Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics.

This depends more on your preferences and playing style. This build is designed around solo gameplay, so see how your character feels now and whether you would prefer more damage or more life. If you are regularly doing high level maps with dangerous spell damage (i.e. Shrine, Dominus, Crematorium, Academy, etc.) then getting some spell dodge would be ideal.

I don't think Leather and Steel is that worth it when you can get Revenge of the Hunted. Also I would not try and get mana reserve nodes - running 2x 60% auras like Hatred and Grace is a stretch even with a few mana reserve nodes by the Ranger - UNLESS you somehow have a large mana pool. Otherwise you would need Soul Taker. You should be able to run a 60% aura and Tempest Shield and you should be fine without needing mana reserve nodes.

Thanks for the tips mate, i have now picked up Revenge of the Hunted. Can you please touch on whether Reave can be a decent alternative in your eyes. Its basically dobule strike with melee splash combined, which allows me to use bloodmagic gem which resolves any mana issues.

Which brings me nicely to my second point, now that i dont use mana i would like to run Hatred+Grace+Tempest shield! Another alternative would be running purity auras instead of grace for spell nasty bosses, altho changing colour sockets every map might not be an option.

Im lvl 74 atm and can handle anything up to and including 76 maps with more or less trash gear so your build is definately working! Thanks! I would however like to increase my dps as it stands at 8-9k with Hatred and is rather low.

Gear
Spoiler

Hi, tryin the LS build for Invasion.

Was lucky to get a 16% LS at lvl 10 very very cheap and have some good lvl gear so i started with LS since lvl 10 cuz i just like to get used to it for laters.

Much fun so far ^^ TY for this

I went with ur more defense Tree atm.

Now my questions:

1. Would u still recommend the same bandit rewards like for the original build (8% allres, 8% atkspeed and Skillpoint) or would u make other choices for LS if u started off new and in Invasion?

2. Do u think its viable without any CWDT in Inv. or should i go for a Immortal Call one?

3. What should i link LS with till i get the BoR?

Lookin forward for ur answers and thank u already for makin this guide.

"
Rusherboy wrote:
Hi there

Thanks for posting your build. I had a level 65 Ranger and don't like bow builds. Tried your build and am loving it!

I do play solo and self-found so I don't have all the gear pieces (missing Rainbow Strides and Soul Taker).

Here's my current gear and tree :

Started farming Dom at level 68 and haven't looked back! I fixed the mana issue by changing Melee Splash with Blood Magic. Single target dps is better and aoe isn't so much worse that it bothers you. If I ever manage to chance Soul Taker I will ofcourse change back.

I'm waiting for Abyssus to drop because I want to try this build without BoR.

I plan to use Abyssus with

What are your thoughts on that, is this build possible without BoR?

Thanks!

Hi, thanks for liking the build. Yes it is possible with Bringer of Rain - however you would lose Blind and a lot of Block. What you could do is use Smoke Mine / Enfeeble / Flame Totem with GMP linked to Blind to help, but the block is hard to make up for. The Anvil is a good amy but it is not ideal for this build because it only gives armor and slows down your movement speed. Ideally you would want as high spell block as possible and Stone of Lahzwar (costs ~1chaos) can help you get there. I have not tried Lightning Coil but it would help a lot with physical damage mitigation if you could max out your Lightning resistance. Physical damage is hard to mitigate on this build because the few options we can go are Endurance Charges -> CWDT -> Molten Shell / Immortal Call set up.

I do not recommend Abyssus because the downside is too high for some extra damage, and it is more suited to Facebreaker builds, or high-DPS focused builds. Just look for a nice evasion helm with life and resistances.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Mar 22, 2014, 12:55:57 PM
"
JinglyGoo wrote:

Thanks for the tips mate, i have now picked up Revenge of the Hunted. Can you please touch on whether Reave can be a decent alternative in your eyes. Its basically dobule strike with melee splash combined, which allows me to use bloodmagic gem which resolves any mana issues.

Which brings me nicely to my second point, now that i dont use mana i would like to run Hatred+Grace+Tempest shield! Another alternative would be running purity auras instead of grace for spell nasty bosses, altho changing colour sockets every map might not be an option.

Im lvl 74 atm and can handle anything up to and including 76 maps with more or less trash gear so your build is definately working! Thanks! I would however like to increase my dps as it stands at 8-9k with Hatred and is rather low.

Gear
Spoiler

Hi man - good idea on using Blood Magic. If I remember correctly back when I had Soul Taker, I could not run 2x60% and Tempest Shield on Reduced Mana gem - the Tempest Shield will not fit in. So I think you would need to grab some reduced aura reserve nodes above the Ranger if you want to run all 3. Tempest Shield only gives 4% block, so it is not worth going out of your way to grab aura nodes IMO, unless you really want the extra 4%.

Reave is a great skill because you can drop melee splash, I did not use it in the original build because you can not use it with axes. If you are using dagger / claw - Reave is a very good option.

My own preference - I find the skill a bit clunky to use because you need to build up hits and get stacks for the AOE to kick in. But many people use it and it is very strong, I imagine some good links would be:
- Concentrated Effect + Increased AOE
- Multistrike
- LGOH

Also - if you want to increase your DPS - get some +phys damage on your gear, a better sword, and sword-specific damage nodes that can give you a good boost for DPS.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Mar 22, 2014, 1:03:26 PM
"
FauliPrime wrote:

Was lucky to get a 16% LS at lvl 10 very very cheap and have some good lvl gear so i started with LS since lvl 10 cuz i just like to get used to it for laters.

Now my questions:

1. Would u still recommend the same bandit rewards like for the original build (8% allres, 8% atkspeed and Skillpoint) or would u make other choices for LS if u started off new and in Invasion?

2. Do u think its viable without any CWDT in Inv. or should i go for a Immortal Call one?

Hi, thanks for trying the build! I have some new strategies for Lightning Strike that I will post to make the build even safer.

For your questions for Invasion:
1. Bandits I recommend: 40HP from Oak, Phys. damage from Oak, and Endurance Charge from Oak.

2. This is what I had a lot of trouble with - problem with IC on CWDT is that we need to link it to Increased Duration and also have Endurance Charges up - otherwise IC will only last like 1second - which is not helpful. Also - the thing with CWDT on a damage avoidance build is that it does not help you prepare for damage, because it only activates AFTER you take damage - so it is pretty much useless. I recommend using Enduring Cry constantly to keep up your Endurance Charges. You can also try linking CWDT to Molten Shell which helps a bit. I have more tips for Lightning Strike playstyle which I will post.

3. I recommend you level with Spectral Throw because it is the exact same tree as my Lightning Strike and you can take advantage of projectile nodes. But if you want you can also level with LS. Here are my recommended links for both of them in order of priority:
ST->LMP->Faster Attacks->Life Leech/Added Fire Damage/WED->PCOC/Inc. Crit Chance->Crit Damage. You may need to throw in Life Leech / Mana Leech depending on whether you can get enough leech from gear.
LS->Blind->Multistrike->Additional Accuracy->Melee Physical Damage->LGOH/Life Leech/WED.

For LS I highly recommend you get a quality LS gem and also use Projectile Weakness curse so that you can get strong AOE with 100% chance to pierce, knockback, more hits (less target evasion from projectiles), and increased projectile damage. For bosses curses should be Temp Chains / Enfeeble, you do not need Projectile Weakness for bosses.

For Invasion - please remember that you are not an invicible TANK with this build, although it can make you feel like one xD. Just play smart and safe you will be 100% fine.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Mar 22, 2014, 1:17:15 PM
New video showing new LS strategy:

A'alai + Q'ura + Y'ara'az

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw-Ty6ynQgE&feature=youtu.be

Quick update on new things I am using with the Lightning Strike build:

Spell Totem - Summon Skeletons & Temporal Chains

- Using Spell Totem + Summon Skeletons for distraction / meat shield when I do not want to fight up close. The idea is for the spell totem to continuously spam skeletons. Costs ~107 mana per totem cast. Just cast the totem in a corner away from you so that the enemy AI has to decide between going for you or the totem - they seem to prioritize the totem (similar to prioritizing Dom. Blow minions).
- Using Spell Totem + Temp Chains to spam slows on the healing mobs in Atziri's chamber. Spell Totem + Temp Chains + Faster Casting links cost a LOT of mana (207 mana) - so I need Eldritch Battery to leave enough mana after reserves to use Spell Totem + Temp Chains
- I prefer Primal Spirit instead of EB because the +Strength from Primal gives some life, so I may unspec from EB and remove the TC+Spell Totem set up. Spell Totem+Skeletons is still sustainable with Primal at 107 mana per cast and the skeletons can be surprisingly tanky.

Updated Flasks
- Now using the below flasks with quick recharge after I deal critical strikes. I no longer use a full mana flask, but am using a hybrid flask since I only need a small amount of mana to top up after casting a heavy skill like TC+Spell Totem, so I might as well get some life.
- Still looking to see if I can get a life flask that recharges on crit strike

Projectile Weakness

- This is superb for turning LS into a great AOE skill without using any gems like splash, lmp etc. With a high level Projectile Weakness and a quality LS gem - you can easily reach 100% pierce chance, which vastly increases your AOE damage.
- You also get great benefits from Projectile Weakness: more likelihood for hits and crits to land, chance for knockback, increased projectile damage
- Only reserved for AOE for packs of mobs - you don't need to use Projectile Weakness for bosses

Additional Curse
If you can get your hands on a corrupted amulet with extra curse mod:

Then you can create very useful curse combinations to increase offense or increase defense:
- High Offense: Offense + Offense = Projectile Weakness + Critical Weakness / Vulnerability
- Offense + Defense Mix: Projectile Weakness + Enfeeble / Temp Chains
- High Defense: Enfeeble + Temp Chains (+ Enhance)

Weapon Swap
- Sadly, with all these cool things to add to the build, and because I cannot use a chest piece with Bringer of Rain - I have run out of links available!
- So I am now entering the realm of using weapon swap xD
- One good thing is you can weapon swap (hotkey X) and use a curse, then weapon swap back and the curse will remain active on targets

Last edited by Ceryneian on Mar 22, 2014, 2:05:32 PM
"
Ceryneian wrote:
"
FauliPrime wrote:

Now my questions:

Hi, thanks for trying the build! I have some new strategies for Lightning Strike that I will post to make the build even safer.

For your questions for Invasion:
1. Bandits I recommend: 40HP from Oak, Phys. damage from Oak, and Endurance Charge from Oak.

2. This is what I had a lot of trouble with - problem with IC on CWDT is that we need to link it to Increased Duration and also have Endurance Charges up - otherwise IC will only last like 1second - which is not helpful. Also - the thing with CWDT on a damage avoidance build is that it does not help you prepare for damage, because it only activates AFTER you take damage - so it is pretty much useless. I recommend using Enduring Cry constantly to keep up your Endurance Charges. You can also try linking CWDT to Molten Shell which helps a bit. I have more tips for Lightning Strike playstyle which I will post.

3. I recommend you level with Spectral Throw because it is the exact same tree as my Lightning Strike and you can take advantage of projectile nodes. But if you want you can also level with LS. Here are my recommended links for both of them in order of priority:
ST->LMP->Faster Attacks->Life Leech/Added Fire Damage/WED->PCOC/Inc. Crit Chance->Crit Damage. You may need to throw in Life Leech / Mana Leech depending on whether you can get enough leech from gear.
LS->Blind->Multistrike->Additional Accuracy->Melee Physical Damage->LGOH/Life Leech/WED.

For LS I highly recommend you get a quality LS gem and also use Projectile Weakness curse so that you can get strong AOE with 100% chance to pierce, knockback, more hits (less target evasion from projectiles), and increased projectile damage. For bosses curses should be Temp Chains / Enfeeble, you do not need Projectile Weakness for bosses.

For Invasion - please remember that you are not an invicible TANK with this build, although it can make you feel like one xD. Just play smart and safe you will be 100% fine.

Ty very much,

i got a 16% quality LS atm, bought it for 3,5 c think that was okay ^^

ok so with bandit rewards i should prefer life over the rsist goo to know.
Nice idea with the skeletons btw.

Would ther eb a chance to run evasion+grace if we take the reduced mana reserved nodes between ranger and shadow and the one in the north and then run clarity on maybe lvl 6 for like 300hp on our life pool?

Or is there just no option to get the required points and sockets free to do this?
"
FauliPrime wrote:

Ty very much,

i got a 16% quality LS atm, bought it for 3,5 c think that was okay ^^

ok so with bandit rewards i should prefer life over the rsist goo to know.
Nice idea with the skeletons btw.

Would ther eb a chance to run evasion+grace if we take the reduced mana reserved nodes between ranger and shadow and the one in the north and then run clarity on maybe lvl 6 for like 300hp on our life pool?

Or is there just no option to get the required points and sockets free to do this?

That will be tough I think. You can maybe try using Blood Magic for your main skill which someone above is using and it is working well, and then you have your mana free to use up for all auras. But I think it will be a big stretch to get 2X60% auras. Even myself I cannot run both Hatred and Grace. I need to run Purity of Ice so I am using Hatred and compensate for Grace by using Jade flask and also using Enfeeble.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Mar 22, 2014, 8:06:13 PM
Excellent build! I'm following your lightning strike build.I do have one question though. I'm currently lvl 34 right now and still trying to acquire certain gems. What do you recommend I upgrade?
Spoiler

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info