Creative X-Fi bug: PoE uses old "hardcoded" OpenAL32.dll (suggestion for fix)

I'm one of the X-Fi users and the only way to run the game so far has been to do it without sound. I'm using the latest (2.25) PAX drivers.

I had this issue with some games since I got my X-Fi, but as most of them were offline games the solution was very easy: Delete OpenAL32.dll and wrap_oal.dll from the game directory and everything is just fine.

The PoE Launcher will redownload both of the DLL files everytime it is started and will refuse to start of the two files as write protected.

The easiest solution for X-Fi users would be to add a switch to Client.exe so that it won't check/patch the two files and the users can safely remove them from the game directory so that the newer ones from the system directory will be used.

OpenAL32.dll PoE: 6.14.0357.22
OpenAL32.dll System: 6.14.0357.25

wrap_oal.dll PoE: 2.1.8.1
wrap_oal.dll System: 2.2.0.7

I've read the topics
OpenAL32.dll/soft_oal.dll in the same directory as Client.exe
Sound Problems X-Fi Xtreme Music
Creative SB X-Fi sound issue
Creative X-FI xtreme gamer - SPDIF/Surround sound - No sounds at all
In windows, I understand you can select the version of OpenAl to use with the "router" from creative's website. http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/OpenAL%20Wiki/Enumeration%20with%20OpenAL%20on%20Windows.aspx

Use Creative's OpenAl Installer even if you would choose to use OpenAl Soft in Windows.
As far as I understood this router selection is from within the game or a configureation screen (/config file) before the actual game. But the game won't even launch when sound is enabled.

In windows dll files residing in the application directory always have higher priority than the system wide ones. The unix way of having system-wide libraries in a common place as dependency are not very usual.

As said: Some other OpenAL games had this issue, too. Just deleting the outdated libraries so that the game uses the newer ones supported by the drivers worked.
BattleMage:

To disable patching, add "--nopatch" to the command line of the client.

Our current issue is that the Creative OpenAL site prevents us from downloading the most recent SDK, and the DLLs they have there are older than the versions you mentioned. We'll update the game in the next few days to more recent DLLs, but Creative needs to fix their site before we can update it all the way. We've contacted their support twice and the most recent mail from today says that it's going to be a while before it's fixed.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
"
BattleMage wrote:
I'm one of the X-Fi users and the only way to run the game so far has been to do it without sound. I'm using the latest (2.25) PAX drivers.

I had this issue with some games since I got my X-Fi, but as most of them were offline games the solution was very easy: Delete OpenAL32.dll and wrap_oal.dll from the game directory and everything is just fine.

The PoE Launcher will redownload both of the DLL files everytime it is started and will refuse to start of the two files as write protected.

The easiest solution for X-Fi users would be to add a switch to Client.exe so that it won't check/patch the two files and the users can safely remove them from the game directory so that the newer ones from the system directory will be used.

OpenAL32.dll PoE: 6.14.0357.22
OpenAL32.dll System: 6.14.0357.25

wrap_oal.dll PoE: 2.1.8.1
wrap_oal.dll System: 2.2.0.7

I've read the topics
OpenAL32.dll/soft_oal.dll in the same directory as Client.exe
Sound Problems X-Fi Xtreme Music
Creative SB X-Fi sound issue
Creative X-FI xtreme gamer - SPDIF/Surround sound - No sounds at all

http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/Forms/AllItems.aspx

On that page the most recent OpenAL verisons are:
OpenAL32.dll version 6.14.357.24
wrap_oal.dll version 2.2.0.5

Any idea where you got versions even later than that? One possible option is that you send me those files and I could include them in our distribution. (They should have a digital signatures so no security worries about that)
Path of Exile II - Game Director
After your recent patch the client is finally starting and playing sound (without modifying anything, out the box). As the beta weekend is now over, I can only say that music and sfx is working in the menu.

The two DLLs were signed by Creative in November 2009. They came with the mentioned PAX drivers.

I zipped the files (32bit and 64bit) and uploaded them for you here: OpenAL.zip.
Hey, I enabled game access on your account. Can you check if the game is now working fine in extended play?

Edit: By the way, you made the same mistake I did and put the 32 bit executables in the 64 bit folder and vice versa.
Path of Exile II - Game Director
Last edited by Jonathan on Sep 17, 2012, 6:22:34 PM
Thanks for enabling beta access. I'll start testing as soon as I get from work.

That's strange with the architecture files. I got the "32bit" files from system32 directory and the 64bit from sys64wow. But I already wondered why the 32bit files would be larger than the 64bit ones.
I have a Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio sound card. I have also tried 2 different drivers, and all

these other fixes. I have re-installed the game .etc.

Still No Sound Detected!

It is 2-10-13 fix this already. I have read in the forums this has been months and still a

major issue.

PS This is the only game or program I have ever had a sound issue with this computer.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info