:;()$&@"\The Anime Pub/:;()$&@"

Taking sudden seasonal break with the arrival of the complete Patlabor bluray set.

Pleasantly surprised how high quality the Slice of Life tv series is. Early kyoani colouring work, plenty of sunrise flex, and a cast of extras that would in a few years all go on to become very well known seiyuu (Otsuka, Tachiki, Hayashibara, koyasu, and Yamadera all stand out).

Currently playing on:
Ps5 - - Predecessor, Warhammer 40k Inquisitor, Dungeon Encounters, Assassins Creed Origins, Deep Rock Galactic/Remnant 2 (MP w mates);
Tablet - - Buriedbornes 2, Dawncaster, Loop Hero, Fate GO;
and,
PC - - Word and winamp ~_^
I watched the entirety of star wars: visions today. A fairly mixed bag, but a LOT of interesting stuff, much of which I would've loved to see in the actual movies.

Spoiler for episode 8 related to this
In particular the light saber fighting in this episode. While the fights in the main movies certainly do look awesome, as someone who does practice fencing, the severe lack of thrusts in light saber duels has always annoyed me. I mean come on, you get a weapon with almost unparalleled piercing capabilities and you try to swing it at enemies instead of thrusting? You don't even have a proper handguard to protect yourself in case you lock blades, that's an outright stupid idea!

Also, the switching off and back on of the light saber to circumvent a contest of raw power and bypass the guard of the enemy. Awesome, logical, making good use of the unique properties of the weapon and actually making sense in-universe.
Probably my favourite episode of the bunch. Maybe. Don't know. There's quite a few good ones. All of them really, each in their own way.

Of course there was also some stuff that... did not make quite as much sense (looking at you, episode 3), but hey. As soon as I saw the name trigger on that one and then the artstyle, I was prepared to switch off my brain at a moment's notice to enjoy some over-the-top-and-oh-god-it-just-keeps-going-it-does-not-stop-HELP action.

Also, Kevin Penkin and the studio behind Made in Abyss on episode 4. Need I say more? Oh yeah, also the singer for the Nier:Automata soundtrack. Apparently that happened and I love every second of it.

So yeah, if any of you enjoy star wars, or anime, or, even better, both? Do watch these. They're great. Some are "Star Wars, but anime", some are "Anime, but Star Wars", but all of them are very well made.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
T9thJ was the only one worthy of the notion of a high quality anthology. The rest were either pointless and derivative (the duel, akakiri) or phoned in (the twins, bride, elder). I liked episode 3 just because Colorido do lively so well.

But the casting for TOB1 was asbolutely historical. Nozawa for the astroboy homage and the official dub voice for Harrison Ford since A New Hope for his master. Let that sink in.

But then afterwards I went and watched the latest What If, which obviously isnt anime but they're amusingly using 2D anime techniques for the special effects...and its clear which of the two IPs Disney actually cares about. Visions looks like a sloppy fan work in comparison. Pretty much none of the true top tier studios involved....

So I say this as a huge fan of Clone Wars and Rebels: Visions was a huge meh for me.

Did start playing Tsukihime Gear Adjective Noun last night. Some of the battle animation by A1 is pretty good.

Hm did I mention we marathoned HFeel 1 to 3? 2 had the best fights, 1 had the best compositing, and 3 had the best 'i did not see that coming' moment. 2 also had easily the best psychologically fucked sequence im the entire franchise. Nom nom.

Still largely on anime break. Caught up on maidragon and jahy for light hearted fun.

Currently playing on:
Ps5 - - Predecessor, Warhammer 40k Inquisitor, Dungeon Encounters, Assassins Creed Origins, Deep Rock Galactic/Remnant 2 (MP w mates);
and,
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Oct 1, 2021, 9:06:39 AM
"
Hm did I mention we marathoned HFeel 1 to 3? 2 had the best fights, 1 had the best compositing, and 3 had the best 'i did not see that coming' moment. 2 also had easily rhe best psychologically fucked sequence im the entire franchise. Nom nom.

That scene when the blackout happens I assume? That one was absolutely terrifying. That and the confrontation with Gilgamesh made me realise just how messed up this timeline actually is.

What was the "I did not see that coming" moment if I may ask?
Bellerophon.

And Gil's line about kneeling was just top tier Gil.
Currently playing on:
and,
Right, that was quite something. The entire fight really. Another scene I absolutely loved was Assassin's failed Zabaniya. It was almost hilarious.
Same seiyuu as my dude Shakespeare so yeah, I got an unintentional giggle.

Now we wait for Camelot 2 and Solomon.

Unrelated: getting my fair share of Tsuda from Melty Blood and Stranger of Paradise. Second sexiest male voice in Japan indeed.

(First was Suwabe, because his voice is basically warm caramel for your ears. Sumanai.)
Currently playing on:
and,
If you're willing to sail the high seas so to speak, Komi-san should be available now. The first two episodes at least, but they're already damn good. So far it is INCREDIBLY faithful to the manga, with fantastic visuals and an absolutely beautiful soundtrack. The first episode has a key scene that's got some movie level cinematography to it.

I had high expectations for this one (as just about everyone had who read the manga afaik) and I was not only not disappointed, but completely blown away by how much above and beyond they went with it. If there's one show to watch this season (or afterwards because netflix), it's this one. The sheer quality at all levels on this one is insane - source material, animation, soundtrack - everything is as close to perfect as it gets.
Still heavily backlogged. We finished s1 of tsukimichi (way better than it had any right to be), almost caught up on dai no dai (so underrated), finished uramichi, watched first two eps of blue period. Tonight will probably be idaten. Then there's Bookworm, white sand, nighthead, fire force s2, boku no whatever last season was, sk8, villainess, seirei, remain...

So yeah, i dont think we will be looking at anything new for at least a few weeks. I know its a fairly hefty season but these days they all are.
Currently playing on:
and,
Well, that's fair I guess. Still have quite the backlog myself. Just wanted to point out a particularly brilliant gem this season (though I guess it's probably being praised absolutely everywhere already, given how long people have been waiting for an adaptation).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info