:;()$&@"\The Anime Pub/:;()$&@"

While my first anime movie happened to be DBZ movie with Garlic JR, some of the ones that I have truly enjoyed were from Studio Ghibli's film. Just recently, I watched Kiki's Delivery Service (may have watched this when I was younger, but kinda forgot through the passage of time), and I truly enjoyed it. My favorite will always be Howling's Moving Castle though with Spirited Away coming in second.

Hayao Miyazaki is a genius when it comes to making anime movies. Nothing beats, but watching a Studio Ghibli's film, and unleashing your inner child from the depth of your heart.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Aug 19, 2013, 4:36:13 PM
"
Nami: friends of mine in Japan have said that The Wind Rises is really, really good, but less 'Totoro' and more 'Fireflies', but hopefully without the rivers of tears at the end.

I was underwhelmed by Ponyo, Arietty and Cherry Hill. Ponyo is a great visual orgy but so was Spirited Away and it was infinitely more entertaining for me.

Howl's was good but for me it benefited from the fact that Earthsea/Gedosenki followed it and was so damn bad.

Ooh, haven't heard of this until now!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaguya-hime_no_Monogatari_(film)

Takahata has always been my preferred diretor of the Ghibli crew -- Only Yesterday and Grave of the Fireflies trumps Kiki's and even Nausicaa for me.

But Mononoke Hime remains the crowning achievement in Ghibli history.

I need to rewatch Mononoke Hime since I have not seen it when I was still in the beginning of primary school. Maybe this time around, having experienced a good portion of Studio Ghiblis's film, I might end up liking it more.

I also felt that Arietty was underwhelming to an extent.

Charan, have you ever watched The Cat Returns? It many not be one of the best of Studio Ghibli's films, but it is still a good one in my book.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Aug 19, 2013, 5:46:12 PM
Don't you love Netflix!!! All the anime... I am such a child :D
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Well steins gate is on my list to watch but i remain skeptical it can top madoka, from what ive seen its not the same genre.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness.
May those who defy their fate be granted glory."

Edel
"
Alexdaemon wrote:
Well steins gate is on my list to watch but i remain skeptical it can top madoka, from what ive seen its not the same genre.

It does not have to be the same genre. Personally, I found Steins;Gate much better than Madoka. Madoka was pretty much a giant troll series, but it was great a series nonetheless since I personally enjoyed all the gruesome events, and dat ending.

In fact, Steins;Gate is ranked 3rd all time from MAL, and is in the top 10 ranking from aniDB.

Edit: I double checked, and both series fit under the thriller genre.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Aug 20, 2013, 2:26:36 AM
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
"
Alexdaemon wrote:

It does not have to be the same genre. Personally, I found Steins;Gate much better than Madoka. Madoka was pretty much a giant troll series, but it was great a series nonetheless since I personally enjoyed all the gruesome events, and dat ending.

In fact, Steins;Gate is ranked 3rd all time from MAL, and is in the top 10 ranking from aniDB.

How was madoka a troll series? o.O
Just for that im gonna watch Princess tutu instead of steins gate :D

edit: also madoka is magical girl steins gate is more sci-fi and time travel if im not wrong

Edel
Last edited by Alexdaemon on Aug 20, 2013, 7:05:18 AM
"
Alexdaemon wrote:
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
"
Alexdaemon wrote:

How was madoka a troll series? o.O
Just for that im gonna watch Princess tutu instead of steins gate :D

edit: also madoka is magical girl steins gate is more sci-fi and time travel if im not wrong

After what happened to
Spoiler
Mami
, the existence of Kyubey, and the ending.

Madoka is not only a magical girl series, it is a thriller just like Steins;Gate. Both have another thing in common after watching them in the past and it was..........
Spoiler
mindblowing. Mindblowing in a sense that there was a lot of insanity, and fcked up shit.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Aug 20, 2013, 7:28:35 AM
"
Here's how I relate Steins;Gate and Madoka: both are genre-defying and undercutting, bigtime. Specifically, you can see the moe in each but then something happens and BOOM, holy fuck what is this?

Genre-wise, Madoka is much closer to the likes of Elfen Lied than anything else I've seen.

Steins;Gate really doesn't have an antecedent in my experience -- no anime set purely in contemporary Akihabara, the pulsating heart of moe culture, has any right to be as brilliant as Steins;Gate. It's just not right.

Nami: The Cat Returns is really only good if you've been sure to watch its forerunner Mimi o Sumaseba aka Whisper of the Heart first, I think.

The only reason why I keep saying that both series is thriller is because MAL has them under that category, and they really were suspenseful with a lot of tension and excitement. Of course, after that, they pretty much stem apart. Steins;Gate did an excellent job with the moe culture, and as well being a great sci-fi packed with a crazy amount of thrillers.

"Thriller is a broad genre of literature, film, and television programming that uses suspense, tension and excitement as the main elements. Thrillers heavily stimulate the viewer's moods giving them a high level of anticipation, ultra-heightened expectation, uncertainty, surprise, anxiety and/or terror."

cited from wiki

Like you said, Madoka does relate to Elfen Lied more than S;G somewhat with horror with all the brutality, though Elfen Lied runs away with it in that category, but I feel that they are both psychological series as well.

"

I'll see your Miyazaki and raise it a Kon, with maybe a Hosoda up my sleeve.

Not sure about Kon, but I have seen a couple of films that Hosoda play a role or two (director and animator wise)

Summer Wars was one of them, and an instant classic for me. Digimon: The Movie (I remember when the US at one point would actually release Anime movies in movie theaters, gawd I miss the good ole days), and two of the DBZ movies where Brolly appears.

I am still disappointed in myself that I have not watched Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo as of yet. I have heard it is an excellent movie.
- raics, 06.08.2016

"
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:

Hayao Miyazaki is a genius when it comes to making anime movies. Nothing beats, but watching a Studio Ghibli's film, and unleashing your inner child from the depth of your heart.

I'll see your Miyazaki and raise it a Kon, with maybe a Hosoda up my sleeve.

Well you just named all the people that made anime gold.
You might want to check out Makoto Shinkai i recommend you start with voices of a distant star and work your way to his most recent stuff.

Edel
"
Alexdaemon wrote:

Well you just named all the people that made anime gold.
You might want to check out Makoto Shinkai i recommend you start with voices of a distant star and work your way to his most recent stuff.

I have watched some of his works like 5cm per second and Hoshi o Ou Kodomo. Both were great movies to watch. I am still debating whether to watch The Garden of Words. Supposedly, it is one of the most detailed anime known to date packed with a lot of dialogues as well.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Aug 20, 2013, 4:20:31 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info