:;()$&@"\The Anime Pub/:;()$&@"

There aren't many shounen out there outside of the big cashcows that run forever.
And why would they invest time? Its cheap and it fast just to make a halfway (stupid)decent series of some light novel with a power fantasy in an easy to understand world(isekai). Then rake in the profits and you're good to go.
There is also not much classical style shounen out there.
That is the reason why they are resurrecting bleach and soon kenshin. I'm quite sure that we will see remakes of YuYu Hakusho and Kekkaishi if this tactic reaps profit.
And while shounen is anime, anime isn't shounen, just something to think about.

Talking about remakes, Oranges Trigun is awesome. While the CGI is still strange, orange shows its mastery with it and storywise I actually like this Interpretation
of Vash and the World more. Away with the slapstick, and away with the shounenhero trope.

And shedding a tear for poor Hikari no Ou... This would be one of the greatest animes in a long time, ruined by the poverty of its producers :(
Current Build: Penance Brand
God build?! https://pobb.in/bO32dZtLjji5
"
S3ph1r0th wrote:
I just want something that will bring me the same feelings FMA brotherhood did.
One of the best series out there imo.

HxH was decent but nowhere near that level.
It feels like the more Anime I watch, the faster I lose my interest in them.

Well, FMA:B is widely regarded as one of the overall best anime there is. It'd be quite difficult to give you a recommendation without some more info about your tastes.
What things in particular did you enjoy about FMA:B? Anything that stands out? Is it the adventuring? The fights? The character drama?

In case you want some recommendations without any prior knowledge of your tastes...
I personally have three newer shows I personally consider to be on par with or even better than FMA:B:
Mushoku Tensei
Violet Evergarden
Made in Abyss

These are not recommendations I throw out easily. They all can be hard to watch at times, each for their own reasons, but they are so, SO worth watching. In general, animation, soundtrack and voice acting are beyond a doubt amazing for either of them.

Mushoku Tensei is probably the closest to FMA:B in terms of feel after the first couple of episodes, but the main character can be a dealbreaker for some people. I'd say it's one of, if not THE best fantasy anime we've gotten in years. The overall presentation, the world, everything is just made brilliantly. There's very little more I can say about it without giving important parts of the story away.

Violet Evergarden feels oddly similar in the overall setting to me. Imo the two could play in the same universe and you wouldn't know necessarily. The show delves deep into emotions and how different people process them differently. It's mostly fairly lighthearted, but when it hits, it hits HARD. I gotta say, from among these three, Violet Evergarden is probably the hardest to properly describe.

Made in Abyss is a bit more out there in terms of setting and overall feel, but I take any excuse I can get to recommend it. Just one thing, please stick with it for a while if you want to give it a shot at all. It just keeps getting better pretty much every episode. Also, before watching season 2, you should watch the "Dawn of the deep soul" movie. It directly connects the two.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
What made FMA:B good was IMO the nonexistent powercreep which is unfortunately a standard cliche of most battleshounen. This made fights were tactics are needed possible, not like almost all other shounen were henshin and power asspulls are stable. Or worse, something like index were the evil guy gets defeated by philosophy and the only action we see is the main character getting pummeled until hes done. But you won't find "modern" Shounen going that route. Currently the only hero that is needed, is an overpowered guy that can defeat anything instantly. Why would we need tactics when the Hero is all powerful? why would we need story when there is no adversary out side showing how awesome the hero is?

My recommendation, look up older shounen with runtimes less then 50 or 60 episodes. Simething like soul eater which is actually awesome, or Claymore which is in dire need of full makeover now that the manga is finished.

also, sorry to say, but Mushoku Tensei is disgusting. I wouldn't recommend that to any one without heavy warning flags.
Without reading all that, I want to say thst Dragon Quest Dai no Dai is the best shounen series I have seen since HxH -- consistent animation, excellent pacing, insanely high quality cast, virtually no filler and a satisfying conclusion.

Technically JJK counts but it flirts with seinen level themes from time to time.

Kimetsu no Yaiba is all surface and I love it for that but truly great shounen resonates deeper than that. First and foremost, you need strong allies who typically start as enemies, and KnY actually has none of that. Ufotable make it what it is.

...and just out of left field, we are about to finish a rewatch of the least shoujo shoujo show ever: X.

And then who knows. It's her pick next so I don't expect it'll be too sakuga heavy. I wouldn't say no to an Utena rewatch. Nice prep for Witch of Mercury, heh.

---

Gonna guess Bastard!! did a lot better than the western anime crowd seemed to think given it has a fucktonne of merch and a second season coming. I have 4 t-shirts, a few mugs and two super high quality figs already. DS is the shit. :)

PS Orange's Trigun is boring. I know it's closer to what the creator wanted but Madhouse's adaptation was just...better. Orange are amazing but after 5 eps of Stampede I was utterly unmotivated to watch more.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 10, 2023, 2:19:05 AM
...Hayate the Combat Butler it is.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Well I have to say the whole thing picks up speed after Wolfwood joined the gang but to each their own I guess. Madhouses adaption was actually quite true to the original, trhen agian, the manga is quite the shounen story until the middle of maximum.

And now lets go watching Kachou Ouji, that premise is so stupid it has to be awesome.
Yep.

And it's getting a second season.

Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Apr 3, 2023, 9:21:45 PM
while we're talking about actionpacked cgdct shows, the third princess principal movie airs this week :>
Also heavenly delusion is quite promising.
Kaguya sama first kiss was a good addition to the series with two caveats. First is it isn't a coherent movie which is why they had no trouble breaking it into 4 episodes (or maybe as with yamato and LoGHDNT that was always the plan) and second, Kaguya does not react well to the cliffhanger of season 3. At all. Poor Miyuki.

Still if you are into KSLiW you will watch it. Obviously.

Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Apr 4, 2023, 7:56:16 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info