0.11.4 Patch Notes

"
mazul wrote:
"
Lauicus wrote:
"
Munion wrote:
Seriously?! People are bitching about fixing the equipment swapping bug with gems... This was obviously a bug from day 1... I was shocked the first time I saw this was doable, and shocked every patch it wasn't fixed because it seems so easy to fix. Now I don't have access to their code, it is entirely possibly it wasn't an easy fix and even more possible there were other things they just considered more important. But if you ever thought that was gonna stay the way it was forever...

A bug? Isn't it a logical consequence of the game mechanics? I don't know about equipment swapping (don't have enough overview to judge the overpoweredness of the possibilities that are a result of that logical consequence) but gem swapping should be possible. Can you imagine: No more spectre diversity, no more lovely discussions about the best support-gem-setup for each particular spectre on the forum.

If they would break the rule that when a skill is casted it keeps its characteristics until de-casted/overwritten I'm afraid this game would quickly follow all other existing games: These few builds/setups are the best, everybody plays until they achieved that particular setup and then there's nothing more to do... except hopping to another game. And for those that stay... no more rewarding out-of-the-box thinking, way less possible combinations, way less diversity, way less inventive use of equipment, no more thinking "why didn't I come up with that?", way less fun I'm afraid.

And about being overpowered... unless you find/buy/obtain otherwise the most expensive pieces of gear (unachievable for a non pro-player) I know you won't get overpowered in this game. If you think Lunaris 3 + Piety are too easy... well... that mofo bosses in the lvl 76/77 maps... you quickly loose your feeling of being overpowered, they shred you to pieces in notime, even when wearing 15+ auras :P

They need to fix the bugs, before they can rebalance things like spectres.

But is it a bug, I'm wondering. When I just started playing PoE and read about the Covenant-trick I remember thinking "Wow, this game goes way deeper than I thought, wow, I need to learn more!". Isn't that the intention, that combos are made which even the devs didn't think of?
You know, there is a keystone that only life-based builds can use that was MEANT for allowing the players to stack a lot of auras purely on their mana.

Its called Eldritch Battery.

The whole blood magic uniques thing made getting EB completely pointless before Arctic Armor came out, and not many people would bother with EB JUST to run AA. Why bother getting ES/int/mana nodes to run auras when you just stack a bunch of % auras to max out your tiny mana pool, and cheese the flat cost auras with BM uniques? This fix makes EB relevant again.

Want to stack a lot of auras? Build around EB.

Examples:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/484146
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/496957

I would like to see a CI/shavronnes build get 7 auras and run lvl 20 arctic armor permanently. ;)
Last edited by Zealflare on Aug 16, 2013, 2:44:51 PM
Looks good to me ...

So much QQ about this fix. Reminds me of when they took koams out of OS and everyone had a heart attack cause no1 would survive. Then they nerfed life. everyone had a conniption fit cause "OMG You cant do end game with that life nerf". Looks to me like there are plenty of life based chars surviving end game. People found a way to do it.

Deal with the change ... adapt and find a new way to do things. It has happened multiple times before and it will happen again. If you want to find a way, you will. If your lazy then wait for someone else to find a way and copy them. People never stop innovating.

TL;DR: This wont kill life based builds. It will just change how they work.
"
Chris wrote:
Version 0.11.4

[li]Fixed an error where butterflies would inappropriately spawn on your enemies. (No, really, this was a thing.)[/li]
[/list]

I R_E_A_L_L_Y hope this is not about the Verdant weapon effect on melee hits.

(each melee hit sprouts butterflies n leaves from the enemy impact, which is, if you ask me, pretty fucking awesome :D)
★ IGN: Pinockio_the_Transexual or PM me on forums ★
My god, I stopped reading this nonsense after page 15. I'm not sure how I made it hat far.

A. Please stop complaining about a patch before you've played it.

B. This is a Beta. The point of Beta is to 1) Play. 2a) Find bugs. 2b) Provide feedback based on the experience. 2c) Allow the Devs to gather info via logging aspects of what is going on. 2d) Allow the Devs to get an overview of what is going on in the aggregate due to tons of people playing. 3) Devs make changes based on 2, and patch the game. 4). Rinse and repeat until the Devs feel the game is where they want it and release it.

C. While in Beta, stuff changes. Your build is subject to nerf, buff, and general screwing with at any time if it helps the Devs get the game to where they want it.

D. Because this is a Beta, changes are incremental. Please bear in mind that just because a certain thing is true now (say CI > Life, no idea if it is, but that seems to be a popular opinion in here atm), that does not mean this will be true when the game is released. And just because it is true now, that does not mean the Devs want it that way.

E. You are not a Dev (obviously, if your name ends in _GGG I'm not talking to you!). Because you are not a Dev, you do not know what they are thinking or doing. Please stop acting like you do.

F. Your gameplay experience is not the sum total of what this game is about or can do, please stop acting like it is.
Support a free Hong Kong.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo Galilei
The complaint here isn't that they fixed an "exploit." It's that in so doing they have once again nerfed hp builds in a manner that does not correspondingly nerf ES builds. They are telling us through their patching that they want us to have to move towards ES to succeed in ladder. For the vast majority of you this is completely irrelevant, but for those of with 10s extremely expensive gear and high levels who rely on this "exploit" to be on the same playing field as other specs, we will take a hit for no good reason.
"
Gorrim wrote:
Although this aura fix will only end up being an inconvenience, (having to redo the malachai's "bug" every time I zone) when they do complete eliminate using BM items it will literally break my build.

I play a LL Crit discharger build (no RF) for MFing in Lunaris. Because I use Voll's protector, I have a pretty low mana pool. I only run 3 aura's Discipline, Purity, and Clarity. I can't even run 2 of these on mana and still have enough to cast. To achieve the LL I use all 3 auras, after a nerf to BM gems I'll be able to run 1 on life, and 1 on mana which will also force me to respec/regear heavily.

I get that its my own fault for building a character that relied on something that was obiously a little borderline as far as design intent, but it is still quite frustrating that this very entertaining and not OP build will be unplayable in the near future. Eh it was fun while it lasted. Time to respec CI!

"
Lauicus wrote:
For example, I watched a video describing a 5+ aura-stacking LA ranger. That player achieved about the same amount of dps and survivability as my 3-aura LA ranger. Difference is that he needs a 6-link to use the bloodmagic-gem on his LA where I can suffice utilizing a 5-link for my LA. Also, the extra 4-link his extra auras occupy is used by me to put zombies in, which gives a huge boost to survivability due to aggro-distraction. So in the end, we achieve about the same results using different techniques, one involving 5+ auras, one using "only" 3 auras.

What builds are so OP that this change is needed?
"
Slider13 wrote:
The complaint here isn't that they fixed an "exploit." It's that in so doing they have once again nerfed hp builds in a manner that does not correspondingly nerf ES builds. They are telling us through their patching that they want us to have to move towards ES to succeed in ladder. For the vast majority of you this is completely irrelevant, but for those of with 10s extremely expensive gear and high levels who rely on this "exploit" to be on the same playing field as other specs, we will take a hit for no good reason.

balance cannot be had, or even attempted to be had, around bugs.
I love this patch, love the aura fix, was tired of Low-Life everything dominating.

I am looking forward to better balance between life and CI but I'm confident that GGG will get us there, and this gear-swapping abuse that ridiculously boosted Low-Life characters was not the way to achieve it.
I think also one of the issues people have with the bug fixing is that the game has been 'rebalancing' for a while now with these bugs as a component in the rebalance formula. They existed, affected builds which affected opinion on what was/is changed.

To remove the bug without a further rebalance is the larger reason for people to take issue with it.

Yes, it's a bug and needs to be removed. Yes, it's beta so that gives some wiggle room for incomplete adjustment but don't forget the other side of that 'it's beta' argument. The purpose of Open Beta and these forums (at times) is to provide feedback. Even if that feedback is whining about a bug or feedback about how hardcore someone claims to be.

The feedback here is that removing the malachai bug (which needs to be fixed as it is a bug) also means more rebalance will be needed. Between this bug removal and the eventual patch (cause they will address it) there is an unbalance.

Hopefully, one of the balances will be a little reduction in the BM penalty gem. That way you can still stack auras though likely not as many as with the bug. That will go a long way in smoothing this out.
Pacific (GMT -8) Time
Last edited by Madcow1120 on Aug 16, 2013, 3:23:26 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info