[OSX] Unofficial Path of Exile port - 30/12/2018 status update

"
Druig wrote:
Any news on the mouse bug? I have to use v3.6 because with 3.7 my cursor disappears most of the time :(

Intel i7 3,4GHz
8Gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 570 1280mb

Same problem for me, I'm going to go back to 3.6 I guess. Load times are better with 3.7 but the mouse is strange now. It's a different color and when mouse over menu items is gets stuck or doesn't move. Same with some other areas that change color.

System Specs if this helps:
Late 2012 27in iMac 3.4Ghz i7
32 Gigs Ram
OS X 10.8.2
nVidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
3TB Fusion

Thanks,
MrGravis
"
julus wrote:
"
proz9c wrote:
Will installing the game in Bootcamp instead of the Mac X port help my stuttering/spike lags when encountering rare mobs and such ?

Bootcamp = native windows = maybe. The spikes are encountered by some windows users as well. Currently for the best experience the game should be played via Parallels Desktop/VmWare Fusion or Bootcamp. However in the coming weeks the spikes should be fixed by devs, and performance should be similiar to the performance on windows.

You think VMWare Fusion is better than this wine port? I've had much better luck with your port.
Thanks,
MrGravis
"
MrGravis wrote:
"
julus wrote:
"
proz9c wrote:
Will installing the game in Bootcamp instead of the Mac X port help my stuttering/spike lags when encountering rare mobs and such ?

Bootcamp = native windows = maybe. The spikes are encountered by some windows users as well. Currently for the best experience the game should be played via Parallels Desktop/VmWare Fusion or Bootcamp. However in the coming weeks the spikes should be fixed by devs, and performance should be similiar to the performance on windows.

You think VMWare Fusion is better than this wine port? I've had much better luck with your port.

Well, I thought so, because Parallels is currently better, and VMWare performance should be on par with Parallels...

"
MrGravis wrote:
"
Druig wrote:
Any news on the mouse bug? I have to use v3.6 because with 3.7 my cursor disappears most of the time :(

Intel i7 3,4GHz
8Gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 570 1280mb

Same problem for me, I'm going to go back to 3.6 I guess. Load times are better with 3.7 but the mouse is strange now. It's a different color and when mouse over menu items is gets stuck or doesn't move. Same with some other areas that change color.

System Specs if this helps:
Late 2012 27in iMac 3.4Ghz i7
32 Gigs Ram
OS X 10.8.2
nVidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
3TB Fusion

3.7 is only testing release, possibly I will try to make 3.7.1 when I find how to fix that cursor. (however, it does not occur on my mac, and nobody from my surroundings has mac, so it will be harder to address the problem :/ )
New 3.7 seems to run smoother than 3.6 but I also have the mouse problem.

It looks like with the old wrapper you had either the "game cursor" and sometimes after switching apps the "mac cursor", never both. With the new one you can have "none", one of them or even both cursors.

The "game cursor" has a different color and is "delayed" or even "stutters" with the remaining action. It is very much like having the "Hardware" vs "Software" Cursors on Windows.

So I guess that the difference is exactly this: 3.7 uses a "Software" Cursor which is rendered together with the other stuff (which may gets optimized at certain times, where the cursor vanishes). Hence the delay in movement (really disturbing to me actually).

Is there a way to switch between different cursor implementations in Wine?

Some other thing which is different is the background color of items in the inventory. To me it looks "wrong" with 3.7 (and Crossover). I am not sure how it is supposed to look and I am to lazy to run it on my windows system :)

What's definitely is better is the effects on the "bomb throwing" things in crematorium. In the past the effects masks where not correct... it looked like some "rectangular space game inspired" effect :)... now it looks like it was meant to look I bet!
BTW... you may tell people how to use a hardlink to use all of the wrappers with the same content package file.

Basically open Terminal and do something similar to:

ln /Applications/Path\ Of\ Exile\ 3.1.app/drive_c/Program\ Files/Grinding\ Gear\ Games/Path\ of\ Exile/Content.ggpk /Applications/Path\ Of\ Exile.app/drive_c/Program\ Files/Grinding\ Gear\ Games/Path\ of\ Exile\ 3.6/Content.ggpk

This makes use of the same file from my 3.1 for the 3.6 wrapper installation. I use this also for the 3.7, CrossOver and PlayOnMac installations on my System. Where The files are located at different places.
"
Kasom wrote:
New 3.7 seems to run smoother than 3.6 but I also have the mouse problem.

It looks like with the old wrapper you had either the "game cursor" and sometimes after switching apps the "mac cursor", never both. With the new one you can have "none", one of them or even both cursors.

The "game cursor" has a different color and is "delayed" or even "stutters" with the remaining action. It is very much like having the "Hardware" vs "Software" Cursors on Windows.

So I guess that the difference is exactly this: 3.7 uses a "Software" Cursor which is rendered together with the other stuff (which may gets optimized at certain times, where the cursor vanishes). Hence the delay in movement (really disturbing to me actually).

Is there a way to switch between different cursor implementations in Wine?

Some other thing which is different is the background color of items in the inventory. To me it looks "wrong" with 3.7 (and Crossover). I am not sure how it is supposed to look and I am to lazy to run it on my windows system :)

What's definitely is better is the effects on the "bomb throwing" things in crematorium. In the past the effects masks where not correct... it looked like some "rectangular space game inspired" effect :)... now it looks like it was meant to look I bet!

Thanks for the analysis, now I know what to look for.
"
Kasom wrote:
BTW... you may tell people how to use a hardlink to use all of the wrappers with the same content package file.

Basically open Terminal and do something similar to:

ln /Applications/Path\ Of\ Exile\ 3.1.app/drive_c/Program\ Files/Grinding\ Gear\ Games/Path\ of\ Exile/Content.ggpk /Applications/Path\ Of\ Exile.app/drive_c/Program\ Files/Grinding\ Gear\ Games/Path\ of\ Exile\ 3.6/Content.ggpk

This makes use of the same file from my 3.1 for the 3.6 wrapper installation. I use this also for the 3.7, CrossOver and PlayOnMac installations on my System. Where The files are located at different places.

I already thought about that, but 1st, not all users are blessed with knowledge to use terminal
2nd, it may bring more trouble than good. Also some users might have stored some applications on removable disk making it even more difficult to explain. So no, I will not suggest it. Anyway the advanced users figured that already :)
"
julus wrote:

Well, I thought so, because Parallels is currently better, and VMWare performance should be on par with Parallels...

So far with Fusion 5, the load times are very fast, but the graphics performance is horrid. Lots of stuttering. when approaching a pack it just freezes up for about 10-30 seconds, hardcore would be impossible. This is with 8 gigs of ram dedicated (max you can dedicate) and 4 cores. That's about as much resources you can give it. You also have to turn the shadows off to make is somewhat playable. This is with the new 27in imac specs posted a few threads above, so you can' t get much faster at this time. Since you can't bootcamp with the 3TB fusion drive I'm kinda stuck between this wine port and vmware fusion. (haven't tried parrells yet)

With 3.6 load times are pretty bad but all of the game functions seem to work, including all the crtl-clicking which doesn't work in fusion. There isn't any freezing when approaching packs.

3.7 looked promising, load times were greatly improved. If the mouse bug was nailed down I think we would be in good shape.
Thanks,
MrGravis
Mouse curoser seems managable while playing windowed mode. Regarding 3.7 It ran smoothly until a crash, after the crash and reinstallation I cannot Launch.

As far as playing with 3.6 It ran smooth enough however after a crash which is expected after a few hours trying to play and now while attempting to relaunch i get a small screen bug, the widowed mode is a 50X50 box. Is this a known bug or is there an easy fix?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info