[OSX] Unofficial Path of Exile port - 30/12/2018 status update

How do you install Path of Exile on PlayOnMac?
Dear fellow Mac users,

I would like to share my experience with you about making POE work on my iMac.
The first time I downloaded this game I downloaded Julus wrapper and I had to deal with loading times and stuttering when encountering rare packs etc. I've become a huge fan of the game in the meantime but I couldn't play at a level where I would not stutter all over the place after reaching endgame.

Next thing I came across was Play On Mac, did the trick for me in early game, it LOOKED amazing but the stuttering started again @ merciless difficulty. I switched back and forth between those 2 clients but became frustrated and lost the will to play with such problems.

I had enough! my late 2009 27" iMac model with 256mb dedicated graphic memory just didn't do the trick on OSX either way :(

I used parallels desktop in the past but it basically cuts your resources in half wich doesn't work great for gaming.
I didn't have the option to install BootCamp since my superdrive is broken (common iMac problem!) and I practically don't use disc's > I DOWNLOAD ^_^
Anyway, I mailed with GGG asking a really stupid Q about minimum specs to play @ max comfort by adding that I would totally understand if they had better things to do ;)

"
Grinding Gear Games
Jan 2 (2 days ago)

to me
Hi Bart,

All you should need is 4gb ram, a recent CPU, and dedicated graphics
card. The requirements aren't that high, it just needs to be
reasonably modern so it can use the new tech :)

Cheers,
Samantha
//
Bart Nijhuis <*****@gmail.com>
Jan 3 (1 day ago)

to Grinding
Thanks for the reply!
Good luck working towards open beta
2013 is the year for GGG

B. Nijhuis
//
Grinding Gear Games
Jan 3 (1 day ago)

to me
Thanks very much! Happy new year :)

Cheers,
Samantha

I mean, THAT's support! ^_^

So there I was walking around the local electronics store looking for a sweet budget gaming PC when I saw an externel dvd burning for 40 euros. I bought that instead, got home and started up bootcamp! Installed Windows 7 Ultimate (after a few hours of windows updates that is)

First thing I did was install POE, palm sweating and...it was amazing!
Game runs like you see on streams from the more dedicated players with their sweet setup!

Settings on Mac Client (either) was windowed 1920 x 1080 / no v sync, post process or screen shake / no shadows / no anti-al. / trilinear filt. / med text /

Settings on Windows7 is [desktop is 2560 x 1440] windowed 1920 x 1080 / v sync / post process / max shadows / no anti-al. / 2x antho filt / high text / AND IT RUNS LIKE CRAZY!!

MY SPECS::

iMac 27-inch, late 2009
Memory 4GB 1067MHz DDR3
Graphics ATI Radeon HD4670 256MB
OSX 10.7.5 (11G63)

I have a wallpaper of POE in the background of Windows7 and it will be: Boot in Windows > double click POE icon > Play till you drop > Shutdown [repeat] ^_^

I was so satisfied with the results i upgraded to Bronze!
Exiled for Eternity
Last edited by smartybarty on Jan 3, 2013, 8:52:47 PM
thanks
Eu tenho uma dúvida, quais melhores glyphs pra priest disc?
Se a vida te der um Limão, faça uma limonada,
Se a vida te der uma lámina, se depile,
Se a vida te der uma Jeba, use-a!
"
Dwonkey wrote:
How do you install Path of Exile on PlayOnMac?

1) Open PlayOnMac

2)

Spoiler

3)

Spoiler

4) The Installation Wizard will get you through this. But

Spoiler

5) You might encounter this too

Spoiler

6) Let the installer do its job. Then

Spoiler

7)

Spoiler

EDIT Put Spoilers...
EDIT2 Fixed image link.
Last edited by krifFinn on Jan 13, 2013, 1:27:53 PM
My apologies for the excessive use of pictures. I hope that that post makes things clearer...
"
smartybarty wrote:
Dear fellow Mac users,

I would like to share my experience with you about making POE work on my iMac.
The first time I downloaded this game I downloaded Julus wrapper and I had to deal with loading times and stuttering when encountering rare packs etc. I've become a huge fan of the game in the meantime but I couldn't play at a level where I would not stutter all over the place after reaching endgame.

Next thing I came across was Play On Mac, did the trick for me in early game, it LOOKED amazing but the stuttering started again @ merciless difficulty. I switched back and forth between those 2 clients but became frustrated and lost the will to play with such problems.

I had enough! my late 2009 27" iMac model with 256mb dedicated graphic memory just didn't do the trick on OSX either way :(

I used parallels desktop in the past but it basically cuts your resources in half wich doesn't work great for gaming.
I didn't have the option to install BootCamp since my superdrive is broken (common iMac problem!) and I practically don't use disc's > I DOWNLOAD ^_^
Anyway, I mailed with GGG asking a really stupid Q about minimum specs to play @ max comfort by adding that I would totally understand if they had better things to do ;)
Spoiler

"
Grinding Gear Games
Jan 2 (2 days ago)

to me
Hi Bart,

All you should need is 4gb ram, a recent CPU, and dedicated graphics
card. The requirements aren't that high, it just needs to be
reasonably modern so it can use the new tech :)

Cheers,
Samantha
//
Bart Nijhuis <*****@gmail.com>
Jan 3 (1 day ago)

to Grinding
Thanks for the reply!
Good luck working towards open beta
2013 is the year for GGG

B. Nijhuis
//
Grinding Gear Games
Jan 3 (1 day ago)

to me
Thanks very much! Happy new year :)

Cheers,
Samantha

I mean, THAT's support! ^_^

So there I was walking around the local electronics store looking for a sweet budget gaming PC when I saw an externel dvd burning for 40 euros. I bought that instead, got home and started up bootcamp! Installed Windows 7 Ultimate (after a few hours of windows updates that is)

First thing I did was install POE, palm sweating and...it was amazing!
Game runs like you see on streams from the more dedicated players with their sweet setup!

Settings on Mac Client (either) was windowed 1920 x 1080 / no v sync, post process or screen shake / no shadows / no anti-al. / trilinear filt. / med text /

Settings on Windows7 is [desktop is 2560 x 1440] windowed 1920 x 1080 / v sync / post process / max shadows / no anti-al. / 2x antho filt / high text / AND IT RUNS LIKE CRAZY!!

MY SPECS::

iMac 27-inch, late 2009
Memory 4GB 1067MHz DDR3
Graphics ATI Radeon HD4670 256MB
OSX 10.7.5 (11G63)

I have a wallpaper of POE in the background of Windows7 and it will be: Boot in Windows > double click POE icon > Play till you drop > Shutdown [repeat] ^_^

I was so satisfied with the results i upgraded to Bronze!

Practically every game will run much better on Windows (bootcamp) than on Mac OS or Linux, native or ported, does not matter. There are multiple reasons for it.
- AMD drivers sucks on every system, except windows where they sucks less (but still sucks)
- Mac OS kernel does pretty useless things which costs time in certain situations AKA long loading and stuttering (for tech guys, it is caused by MAP_PRIVATE doing COW immediately instead on modification)
- Developers ignores there are more platforms than windows (common problem)
- Developers hacky programming causes Wine emulation to be almost impossible (for ex. SWTOR)

Well, I have Parallels, and I use it for gaming without major problems (Aion, SWTOR, Old windows games, steam windows) but I have much more resources to spare.
Last edited by julus on Jan 4, 2013, 8:58:26 AM
So I used this port for a few hours and it worked like a charm. I logged in today for the second time and now the audio seems to be broken. I have all my in-game audio settings set to max and I know my mac is playing audio normally because I can hear my music play. Anyone have any ideas as to what may be the problem?
QUESTION!

I downloaded the whole 4gb file using cross over in a good 2 -3 hours oh so, only to find myself being really excited to see a screen telling me there's a fragment block something.... I was very disapointed and i'm wondering now if anyone knows what the problem is and how to fix it? Or should i download another software to run the game? Advice please :D?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info