GGG wants us to exploit this game

"
zeto wrote:
Anubite, if there is no other way to convert karma to gold or gold to karma, and this was the only way, and/or the ratio obtained from doing this particular sale was significantly higher than alternatives, to a reasonable adult, that is an exploit that should be reported.

I'm not saying that the company had a proper response, but that does not take away from the validity of it being clearly an unintended feature, ie. an exploit.

We don't really need to discuss this further, but you are correct. It became an exploit the moment the devs stated it was one.

For instance, the current interaction between quivers and unarmed might be considered an exploit -- a bannable one by /some/ company's standards.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Sep 5, 2012, 1:45:28 PM
'Exploits' in my opinion are always bad. But I don't use the term like others are using in this thread - I see the word 'exploit' as meaning in the mmorpg community as 'something that a gamer does to get ahead of other gamers'. In this sense exploits are always bad, due to the fact that it promotes unfair play and will deter casual players from the game.
In other words as long as the glitch or bug in the game can be used by all players I see nothing wrong with it.
During my years (and I mean YEARS) of playing D2, I choose to go non-traditional builds for several reasons.
1.) I am a casual gamer not interested in PVP.
2.) Enjoyment comes from playing the game, not letting someone else figure out the path I need to take.
3.) Experimentation is part of the game.
4.)Finding a super powerful build on your own is one of the greatest joys of a game like this.

Before I was told about POE I had bought D3 and played it for a while before going back to Fallout - New Vegas for another run through trying a different build. The reason I play the game is for my enjoyment. That's it. D3 was not enjoyable and New Vegas was. Now know that there are other people in the world who's enjoyment comes from taking a game such as this and finding as many exploits as they can. Generally you will find them in the PVP areas to flaunt their skills. Like trolls, I ignore them. They have no power over me or my playing style as I don't use PVP. Without PVP, they are just another random character in town.

So do yourself a favor and play the game the way it is suppose to be played. While the forums are a good place to learn how to play a certain build, I still make my own choices. Should you find an exceptional weapon that allows you to one shot most monsters, use it. Figure a way to use flasks to defeat large mobs, use it. Find a bug, report it!
As other posters have said, it's not always easy to know if something is an exploit.

My poison arrow ranger regularly, when in indoor areas, creates a poison cloud in a room without specifically targeting any mob. Within about 5 seconds, that cloud often kills several if not all within the room

Or if I see a mob near a doorway, I'll fire an arrow through at an angle, such that even if it's a ranged mob, it can't target me directly, but the cloud usually gets created close enough to kill it.

If those are exploits it needs to made clearer they are, and I would be quite irate if I were punished without warning for such behaviour.
In a very grind heavy game the death penalty equates to...more grinding.
There is no way that the diamond flask in question could be "exploited" more than once at a time anyways. If you have an instance where you have collected a mob, usually half of them will wander back or stop when you venture too far, therefore not allowing you to collect said 80 enemies to use the flask and keep it full. Also if you manage to actually do this, you will kill the immediate area's mob and will not be able to collect another 80 with the time needed, essentially making this argument worthless in the end. lol.
------------------------

#BondOfPain: "No place is a sh***y place when you get to kill apes with a stick"
"
Rory wrote:
You are fundamentally right. This post is accurate and insightful, and your grasp of our philosophy behind the word 'exploit' is heartwarming.

A great thread.

But we're going to have to nerf it. ;)

Thanks, this post made me laugh. I love it when people like you proves you are still one of us mere mortals, and not just a faceless, humorless developer. :)

"
Qarl wrote:
Just one thing I'd like to note, if someone does find a way to keep their Diamond Flask ever full, that number is going to be pushed higher than 80.

I have no problem nerfing short term fun for the greater good.

Greater good is, uh, good. :) Nerf away, my friend. Nerf away. :)
"And that's how you die properly, sailor boy."
(The Witch)
anubite casts raise dead
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
"
Covert wrote:
I'm having trouble filling in the blanks Charan. Please elaborate.

Dont do it, i feel a haiku coming on.
GGG - Why you no?
"
anubite wrote:
"
zriL wrote:
Kripp wasn't banned for using the exploit, but for advertising it.

Still, I don't know how he was supposed to know he couldn't show that trick on his stream, since it really doesn't look like an exploit.

The way I see it, he was demonstrating an effective way to make gold in GW2. The fact the developers decided to make the action unsanctioned after the fact is irrelevant. There was no big flashing rule in the game, "Don't you dare sell food for gold!" They banned him unjustly, at least according to my analysis of how games should be designed and run.

A game like GW2 probably shouldn't even have vendors buying items, at least from my estimation. Social trade and the AH will cover everything a player wants to sell. Vendors will always pose a threat of being "exploited" because they're dumb. Selling/buy items for a fixed price is dumb. Dumb in the sense that it cannot react to economic strategies that exploit their static nature. Anyone with an economic background would agree that anyone directly involved in an economy should be allowed to follow the rules of economy - supply/demand and other things.

Interesting juggling of moral concepts and in the end that is why i find that the ban is justified. You find a way to circumnavigate and use something that was done without intention said exploit or exploitable context, the proper response would be to alert the people responsible in order to be repaired an to work the way it was intended. There is such a thing as an gaming etiquette on witch developers publishers count on when this sort of thing happens and while being a lousy gamer should not be reason for a ban, behavior that leads to damaging in this case a games economy should. And as for the there is no rule against it specifically so i can do what i want... well there is no rule specifically that you cant or should be stabbed in the chest repeatedly with a fork, that dosent mean someone out there can come and do it. Just sayin. Or maybe im wrong and if i am can the OP or someone who shares his/hers opinion give me a real life example where this actualy work and its not in the least frowned upon?

P.S. the example given was not a direct attack at the OP or anyone else it was used for shock value in comparison :)
And sorry foe necro i guess
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness.
May those who defy their fate be granted glory."

Edel
Last edited by Alexdaemon on Jan 28, 2013, 2:37:36 PM
successful troll necro.
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
—Leo Buscaglia

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!

My beloved pets....

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info