So I chanced an Occulist's Vestment

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Just some of the ones that would otherwise have been rares, are Infernal Mantles instead.

I would say some players would rather get rares than IM since at least they would be able to scour it. Once you chance an Infernal Mantle, you are stuck with it and have to start from scratch again.

Despite having no effect on the rate of chancing a unique with Occultist's Vestment, it can be in an equivalent of
Spoiler
cockblocking.
While I hate Shavronne's Wrapping, I would rather have it be chanced everytime, if it happens to be on the Infernal Mantle spot instead.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Aug 1, 2013, 6:44:07 PM
I read your clarification on the workings of chance orbs after making my post, thanks for the insight though, there is still a lot of this game that remains nebulous, and we can only speculate on mechanics.

Addressing amenanthem, my criticisms of the item still stand (not based on chance blocking) it offers too little (+1 gems, and some fire damage, and more crit? In return for no res and low es.) and has negative synergy with burn in addition, the increased damage makes it extremely dangerous, causing massive spikes of damage after a large skill unless you use EB or BM, both of which have massive drawbacks of their own. Searing touch blows this item away for fire based builds and there is no contest for burn based builds.

The crit it offers is offset by the fact it makes burns much weaker and the chaos conversion against reflect is offset by the massive damage taken. The item offers too little and is too risky for any hardcore build, and inefficient for a softcore build.
Last edited by Swords36 on Aug 1, 2013, 6:48:53 PM
To be fair, the unique is really good in that it gives a decent bit of ES for a chest. I mean, if I could get rid of everything on the chest except for the ES it would actually be a pretty good unique imo as a 'starter' es item.
Last edited by DestroTheGod on Aug 1, 2013, 9:53:00 PM
So all that means you can safely use Orbs of Chance on Occultis's Vestments right now and not hold them back until Infernal Mantle has been moved to another base item? The presence of Infernal Mantle doesn't influence your chances on getting Shavronne's in any way, right?

I was collecting all Occultist's Vestments in my stash until now, because I assumed the Mantle would screw up the chance rate.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

Infernal Mantle being an Occultist's Vestment does not have a significant effect on the number of chances need to get Shavronnes. Just some of the ones that would otherwise have been rares, are Infernal Mantles instead.

No one likes chancing with the intention of getting a Shav's and getting an Infernal Mantle instead because it feels like you wasted your chance, even if you claim this isn't fact that it collides with the Shav's chance itself.
I chanced an Infernal Mantle around a week ago, my only words on skype in the call I was currently in? "Oh for fucks sake"

It's not a good feeling, there is no good reason I've seen defending it.
I had PMed Mark some questions about the chance/drop systems a while back (after patch 0.10.7). This response seems relevant to the thread:

"
My current understanding is that rarity is rolled first. If item rarity is normal/magic/rare, base type is rolled. If it is unique, instead it rolls a unique item from the list of those possible (factoring level into account, and weighted by how common each unique is). So rather than being a separate drop pool, as I thought, it's simply that rarity is determined first, and base type is never rolled for unqiues - unique type is rolled instead.

Unless the above has changed, I'm given to understand that having multiple bases for an item doesn't cause them to "block" each other in the drop algorithm. According to what Mark posted in this thread, the same holds true for chancing uniques as well.
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
Last edited by MonopolyLegend on Aug 3, 2013, 2:05:41 AM
"
Spooghetti wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

Infernal Mantle being an Occultist's Vestment does not have a significant effect on the number of chances need to get Shavronnes. Just some of the ones that would otherwise have been rares, are Infernal Mantles instead.

No one likes chancing with the intention of getting a Shav's and getting an Infernal Mantle instead because it feels like you wasted your chance, even if you claim this isn't fact that it collides with the Shav's chance itself.
I chanced an Infernal Mantle around a week ago, my only words on skype in the call I was currently in? "Oh for fucks sake"

It's not a good feeling, there is no good reason I've seen defending it.

dude, its from the developers. It's not a "claim" its rock solid fact.

with that in mind, getting infernal mantle instead of some junk rare that's going to be vendored 98% of the time really isn't a big deal.

Glad they cleared that up, so what was a very common misconception can be removed.
"
Spooghetti wrote:

I underlined the part where I strongly agreed. I think the part of my reaction originally (when I made the thread) came from lack of information from my side - I did not know that one unique would not block another. Still it felt that way, and I think I'm not the only one feeling this way.

----

It seems appropriate to talk about the future of the unique designs.

Lets take Kaom's Heart as an example. I remember Kripp saying 'the drop rate of uniques is skewed; you will find more Araku Tiki's (or a more common unique) than Kaom's Heart'. It seems reasonable, of course. Stronger uniques should be harder to find.

But, he added, If GGG were to introduce another Unique in the Glorious Plate base-item, the chances of you getting a Kaom's Heart from chances - according to him - would be harder.

But as confirmed by GGG in this thread, that would not be the case?

On a related note, there are only a finite number of base items. As the game progresses, I imagine that more Uniques would be in-game than base items. Does GGG have a policy of 'only having 1 Unique per base item'? Do they need to have it? If they see this as a possible problem (I'm not saying it is), do they have a solution for it?
I found one of these farming lunaris 2 earlier. Left it laying on the ground. Didn't even pick it up and ID it. Just scrolled over it. Infernal Mantle isn't worth the 6 tabs of storage space to keep it. Same goes for 90% of the unique items in this game honestly.

These are selling for 1-2 chaos on anarchy, almost zero demand for them. Items worth 1-2 chaos generally aren't worth the hassle to try and sell, and you're better off vendoring, or leaving them on the ground. I'm definitely not loading my 4 tabs of storage space with 6 block items only worth 1-2 chaos. Those go straight to the vendor without any hesitation whatsoever.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Aug 3, 2013, 6:04:35 AM
Shavronne's Wrappings should be unique of Vaal Regalia.
IGN: KioneoneeR

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info