So I chanced an Occulist's Vestment

"
"
boof wrote:
This item's existence is an insult to the game. Not only is its only purpose to frustrate players but it's a straight rip from some girly anime.
But hey... you can't shut down a 1000$ donation.

Actually I believe it's from a bullet-hell shooter that is anything but girly.

Also, why would you kick up a stink about this when we have a My Little Pony-referencing wand, a sword ripped straight from a fantasy novel series, a staff that honours the Monkey King from Chinese mythology and, my personal favourite in terms of classless, tasteless bullshit references, an Anonymous-quoting mask?
You missed the diamond one based on an IRL celebrity :P
The Anonymous reference is on GGG, not diamond/eternal supporters (I don't personally like that item much either, but more for the mechanical reference than the flavour text).

"
It is true that there are two Occultist's Vestments uniques so that the stronger, Shavronne's Wrappings, would be chance-blocked by the 'weaker', Infernal Mantle. I do not doubt that when GGG moves Infernal Mantle to another base item that GGG will throw another unique in to chance-block Shav's still, and I've no doubt that item will still garner plenty of hate.
I'm pretty confidant that there are two items on that base type because he chose that base type, and we went with it, and an independently-developed GGG unique was also put at that slot (I believe balance was taken into account on Shavs) but I'm not a part of that process, so I can't guarantee that was what happened.

Chance orbs do not work like that (any more - they did for a little bit after the tiers of unique rarity were introduced, I believe). They do not have a flat chance to obtain a unique, regardless of how "rare" that unique is supposed to be. If the only unique of a base type is a rarely occurring one, then chances have a low chance to get uniques on that base type. Adding a more common unique to the same type means that chances on that item will have an significantly increased chance to roll uniques (but if they do, the unique is likely to be the more common one). If you've chanced a lot of occult vestments and gotten Infernal Mantles, then if Infernal Mantle didn't exist, those would probably have been rare vestments, not Shavronnes.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jul 31, 2013, 11:17:01 PM
"
"
Swords36 wrote:
"
AmenAnthem wrote:
I don't get the hating on this item.
People seem to not get that it doesn't block Shav out, it still has the same chance to be rolled.

I like this item, it's well designed and has a drawback you have to build around, only the art is ugly tbh.

Thanks for making this awesome item Charan!

The item sucks. It doesn't interfere with normal drops, but it halves(or as evidence suggests, more than that) the chance to get a shavs from chancing. If it takes 500 chances on average to make a unique, it would raise that all the way to 1000+ depending on if it is weighted or not.

Precisely the sort of ugly attitude that makes me very happy Raven is getting to move his Diamond item.

The item doesn't 'suck'. The item is actually very good. Your criticisms of it are noted, but then falter when the majority of your complaints has to do with the chance-blocking.

The fact that it's chance-blocking Shavronne's Wrappings sucks, and that actually has NOTHING to do with the item.
The "fact that it's chance-blocking Shavronne's Wrappings" is not a fact.

As I said earlier:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Chance orbs do not work like that (any more - they did for a little bit after the tiers of unique rarity were introduced, I believe). They do not have a flat chance to obtain a unique, regardless of how "rare" that unique is supposed to be. If the only unique of a base type is a rarely occurring one, then chances have a low chance to get uniques on that base type. Adding a more common unique to the same type means that chances on that item will have an significantly increased chance to roll uniques (but if they do, the unique is likely to be the more common one). If you've chanced a lot of occult vestments and gotten Infernal Mantles, then if Infernal Mantle didn't exist, those would probably have been rare vestments, not Shavronnes.

Infernal Mantle being an Occultist's Vestment does not have a significant effect on the number of chances need to get Shavronnes. Just some of the ones that would otherwise have been rares, are Infernal Mantles instead.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info