Mythos beta impressions...

i think he has a lot of keys now :)
Having participated in the original (flagship) Mythos beta I can say that mythos was not originally intended to be a game. It started simply as a quick prototype to test the network code for hellgate london.

At some point they decided that they liked it enough to turn it into a full game, and got a small team to start working on it. The beta was more like an alpha, it was a long way from being a finished product. I can remember posting probably around one new bug every day, none of which were ever fixed.

As a result of all this I imagine the code was probably a undocumented tangle of hacks and afterthoughts.

Then when flagship went under, their investors got screwed over in a big way, and they took possession of the mythos IP with the intent of trying to salvage some of their investment.

You really have to feel for whoever got the task of developing mythos at that point. They would have got handed a bunch of buggy, half-finished, undocumented code written in a foreign language, with absolutely no chance of even being able to ask the original devs any questions about it. It's a programming nightmare.

Put it this way. Before mythos is eventually released, it is highly likely that runic (which was formed by the original mythos devs) will have released both torchlight and torchlight 2.

Frankly I'm amazed they managed to make anything at all out of mythos before just giving up.

So don't hate the devs, they're just trying to do their job as best they can with the lousy hand they've been dealt.
---
when i betad the original mythos is was playable with no issues . no freezing , no loss of inv , no falling through world , no infinite loading , no unkillable monsters .

it was just not an interesting game due to lack of content . i will probably try it out again if it ever gets into gold release .

path's systems are going to be much more meaty .
Thanks for the Mythos keys, guys. We have enough now, you don't need to send any more. The three people who sent us keys (innoruuk, rhesos, permaximum) will get alpha access when our next update is deployed. I'll be in touch within the next week.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
lucky
Yes good sir, I enjoy slaying mythical creatures.
well, balls.
Forum Sheriff
"
Chris wrote:
Thanks for the Mythos keys, guys. We have enough now, you don't need to send any more. The three people who sent us keys (innoruuk, rhesos, permaximum) will get alpha access when our next update is deployed. I'll be in touch within the next week.

Oo wow... damn this is a really nice birthday present (14 march) thanks alot chris!
Oh my god... That's awesome! Never thought that this would happen when i sent the key to you... As happy as i am that i'll get a key i'm also really sorry for all the guys without access! Hopefully we see us ingame soon!
Congrats guys!
Now I actually feel bad for not getting a Mythos key (who would've though you could change them in PoE keys) :)

Good luck guys, make sure you test the hell out of it!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info