[1.2.0] Ice Pierce Crit Ranger

Hey hello again my ranger is now lvl 77, with some pretty good gear doing some good dmg, I've taken Accro and phase accro and arrange the build to be more contact as it better suit what i need.

But I have one probleme I rly can't handle reflect either physical or elemental, I mean If I shot at one mob it's ok (tho with frenzy it's not but I don't have life leech on it) but If I shoot at any pack I will get destroy no matter what to 50-75% of my life if that doesn't outright kill me if I crit.

I try to be careful not to shoot like a mad man off screen but sometimes I just can't handle it (even if it is tempting :D).

My last death Plateau map 18% of physical reflect dmg, I'am saying myself k let's be careful, 1st pack of the map 5-7skeletons white, I double curse proj weakness+crit weakness> Insta Died like OS. I have no armor (400) but my dodge and evade should save me a bit from some reflect dmg no ? or I just got very unlucky :( .

Here is my gear I can make arrangement to color and socket if you can give me some advice on my setup it will be greatly appreciated. Maybe I can change something to be better equip against reflect.

Spoiler

@pxf31 That Citadel will do for lower maps, but I'd recommend upgrading it eventually.

@Sirnizz Try replacing LL with a similarly leveled LoH. It's instant, so it will at least give you enough warning to back off. Unfortunately it seems you have only one red slot, or I would recommend running both LL and LoH, or at least bringing one with you so you can switch it in for reflects. Maybe recolour your bow, switch Faster Attacks with WED, so that you can swap WED for LL. The result should be: against a reflect, LoH lets you survive the first hit or two, giving you time to notice reflect and back off. LL's time-delayed effect heals you to full. Then you can take another shot or two.

Yeah, I noticed you switch Pierce with FA. Sorry. It's this way or that way, I'm afraid. With a Glare, physical mana leech from gear + Mind Drinker may be sufficient to sustain iceshot, that'd free up the socket for Pierce switching. Added a note in the OP to reflect this option.

Additionally, if you don't curse PW on reflect mobs, your damage on them is substantially reduced. Takes longer to kill, but much safer. This assumes you pay attention to reflect mobs. And seriously, cursing crit weakness on reflect? Totally asking for it.

Oh yeah. WTF is up with that ring? Everything else is WHOA AWESOME and then there you are with a level 38 ring. o.o
How to make a build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/510084
Current guides: N/A
Last edited by Kirielis on Dec 2, 2013, 10:52:38 PM
"
Kirielis wrote:
@pxf31 That Citadel will do for lower maps, but I'd recommend upgrading it eventually.

Thanks for the reply! How about the node Reduced Mana Reservation? Is it worth taking it? I have a reduced mana gem linked to my auras but my mana still runs out from time to time.
Generally, if you're running out of mana, there are two solutions. One is to increase available mana - that'll increase the number of shots you can take before running out, while downtime will replenish your mana. The other is to increase your max mana, so that you simply never run out because your leech/regen is greater than your usage rate.

5% reduced mana reservation isn't a lot, but it will help. A little. Depending on the situation at hand. Suggest you carefully consider which solution is more appropriate for you.
I'm considering the idea to use the Chin Sol bow and Point Blank Keystone in few levels, do you suggest a minimum quantity of critical strike before switching to this playing style?

Is Piercing still useful with Point Blank?

"
Sirnizz wrote:

My last death Plateau map 18% of physical reflect dmg, I'am saying myself k let's be careful, 1st pack of the map 5-7skeletons white, I double curse proj weakness+crit weakness> Insta Died like OS. I have no armor (400) but my dodge and evade should save me a bit from some reflect dmg no ? or I just got very unlucky :( .

I think that your evade is negated by Glare's 100% hit ability, the 40% dodge should work anyway
Last edited by ripper82 on Dec 3, 2013, 7:48:26 AM
"
Sirnizz wrote:
Hey hello again my ranger is now lvl 77, with some pretty good gear doing some good dmg, I've taken Accro and phase accro and arrange the build to be more contact as it better suit what i need.

But I have one probleme I rly can't handle reflect either physical or elemental, I mean If I shot at one mob it's ok (tho with frenzy it's not but I don't have life leech on it) but If I shoot at any pack I will get destroy no matter what to 50-75% of my life if that doesn't outright kill me if I crit.

I try to be careful not to shoot like a mad man off screen but sometimes I just can't handle it (even if it is tempting :D).

Here is my gear I can make arrangement to color and socket if you can give me some advice on my setup it will be greatly appreciated. Maybe I can change something to be better equip against reflect.

Spoiler

Not sure how your build looks, but I assume you took ondar's guile considering you to acrobatics and are likely evasion based. Using a lioneye's glare that can't be evaded, i assume you can still dodge your reflect, but doesn't sound like that is enough to save you. If you were iron reflexes with high armor you could handle some phys reflect, but not elemental. If you just went ahead and got a different bow, you would probably be fine. I play on nemesis and can just launch into either kind of reflect all day long and never take any damage, thanks to ondar's guile. And you can find a bow with a high crit chance, if you have the currency should surpass your lioneye's damage at some point and be safer.
Thanks very much for the answers everyone !

@Kirielis I will try LoH, and both LL and LoH ! I'll let you know the result thanks for your time. And yea yea I know about that ring but I can't really replace it right now as it gives me about 70% fire resistance atm. I need to change amy too, both got no life on it but I'am kinda broke after equiping this char :D it'll wait a bit.

Edit : Ho I forgot I don't rly switch pierce over FA, I'am always cursing in party but never rly feel the need to switch to pierce even when I don't cuse or doing curse immune map maybe I should. And I tried WeD over FA didn't rly like the more slow paced attack rate but I'll give it another try !

@SEOINAGE Hey hello my build look like this
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAF4EfgW1BfkILg5ID6sRlhXwGY4c3CF2JDwk_SaVJ6kwcTB8MfoyATpCOlhJUUt4UEJRR1VLWm1f4WHiYqxjQ21sbXtwUnDVdvd31HfXfXV_K3_Ghs6HGYw2jX2Nv5UFlembJpuNnaOdqqGkoi6jiqc0p1yn1Kp_qrixMLIZtUi748BRxKLGosqpzerPetN-1CPVANaK1p3cFd2o3vbh2-OE51TndOjW7YPvevBC8Xbz6vaj-Vb8q_66_sg=

Yea I took Ondar's, thanks for the idea of maybe switching bow I'll think of it as I've said I don't have the currency to change bow atm but maybe I'll consider this idea in the future !
Last edited by Sirnizz on Dec 3, 2013, 11:53:10 AM
"
Chin Sol bow and Point Blank

You get greater damage at close range, but 100% piercing means your arrows will always offscreen anyway, and PB makes those deal no damage. In the end, it's a trade-off. And it's your decision.
Last edited by Kirielis on Dec 3, 2013, 7:39:37 PM
Hey . I always wanted to level an ice shot ranger , and this build seems interesting . Is it tested ? Is it viable and strong in high level maps ? Consider that my fund for this character is max 7 exalts
since we are relatively safe with iceshoot(piercing), slow,freeze, offscreen range.

how much +% life would you suggest at the end?
It is really tempting to put one point after another into crit/+dam nodes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info