[1.1] Davos Seaworth's Elemental Split Arrow Build - Solo every map with ease!

"
xqflint wrote:
Davos, I'm still at level 20 and looking at what others just posted, I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea for me to follow the same build using the ranger route.
I'd still like to hear your opinion on pros and cons of choosing a ranger for this build. The only con appears to be attack speed, but you may have a better holistic view..

Well you'll most likely want to pick up all of the duelist projectile damage/attack speed nodes that my build takes even if you start as ranger. So the only benefit to playing a ranger is being forced to take those evasion/life nodes which aren't particularly great. The nodes themselves could be argued to be as good as 6% life nodes, but if you want them, you can get them just as easily starting with duelist. All you need to do is drop some life nodes elsewhere in my build.

I really see no other reason to start ranger. The new good damage nodes are physical damage, and the projectile damage nodes are too far away from the route I take to get to Unwavering Stance, Blood Magic, then to the left side of the tree where all the good stuff is.

Ballistic Mastery is good, as are the 8% projectile nodes before it. But unless you spend 3 useless points on mana regen or block and stun recovery, you'll need to waste one point on an accuracy node to get it. I just find that you'd need to skip out on the duelist nodes if you want to start as a ranger and take those 5 nodes up top then start at the bottom half of the ranger tree to work your way down into Iron Reflexes then left.
IGN: EmpathicAmoeba
Last edited by DavosTheOnionKnight on Jul 25, 2013, 11:31:14 PM
THX for sharing great build. Hitted 54lvl first time on onslaught. Already in Merciless :)
Still have couple qustions.
Why quality on LGoH? improvment looks so minor and after split arrow launched i'm full hp anyway if it hits few targets.

Have you tried knockback passive nodes a bit under resolute technique (Fending)? Might be usefull for interupting casters + some survivability against melee

Instead of second Frenzy I'm planning to use poison arrow+culling strike+IIQ+IIR. Looks like lot better choice to me. Also helps against life leeching/regen mobs or Bosses with energy shield.Prevents from regenning shield.
"
Bildukas wrote:
THX for sharing great build. Hitted 54lvl first time on onslaught. Already in Merciless :)
Still have couple qustions.
Why quality on LGoH? improvment looks so minor and after split arrow launched i'm full hp anyway if it hits few targets.

It helps a lot more than the fencing passive will for tanking. And helps your life refill that much quicker. 20% quality gives another 10 life gained on hit, which is another 180 life per shot if all projectiles hit and chain, and with 4 attacks per second that equals an extra 720 life per second. It's pretty significant.

"
Have you tried knockback passive nodes a bit under resolute technique (Fending)? Might be usefull for interupting casters + some survivability against melee

Yeah I've tried it. I didn't find it necessary and discovered that I could make better use of those 3 points. Feel free to use it if you prefer it over something else though!

"
Instead of second Frenzy I'm planning to use poison arrow+culling strike+IIQ+IIR. Looks like lot better choice to me. Also helps against life leeching/regen mobs or Bosses with energy shield.Prevents from regenning shield.

Yeah that should work fine. I've never had trouble with regenerating shields though, I kill everything so quick it doesn't have time to regen. I chose Frenzy to help keep the charges up but you're welcome to use whatever you prefer.
A dude actually posted the Ranger build on page 7, but you didn't respond. I did a summary check on both and yeah, there are some pros and cons for each.
As a ranger I'd get +50% or so Crit Chance, + accuracy and etc... but I'd lose some resists and attack speed.
I guess I'll stick with yours. Thanks again.
Last edited by xqflint on Jul 26, 2013, 1:48:32 PM
"
xqflint wrote:
A dude actually posted the Ranger build on page 7, but you didn't respond. I did a summary check on both and yeah, there are some pros and cons for each.
As a ranger I'd get +50% or so Crit Chance, + accuracy and etc... but I'd lose some resists and attack speed.

With this build, you don't really need Accuracy or Crit chance. Resolute Technique pretty much kills any advantage of both since you can't crit and enemies can't dodge. I started in the ranger area just because I had a lvl 60 ranger that had a full respec and worked out a build that I lost a little AS and DMG, but gained a bit of life and some more armour. It's viable and doesn't hurt too much, but I feel the duelist side is slightly more optimized.
"
Pallas wrote:
"
xqflint wrote:

With this build, you don't really need Accuracy or Crit chance. Resolute Technique pretty much kills any advantage of both since you can't crit and enemies can't dodge. I started in the ranger area just because I had a lvl 60 ranger that had a full respec and worked out a build that I lost a little AS and DMG, but gained a bit of life and some more armour. It's viable and doesn't hurt too much, but I feel the duelist side is slightly more optimized.

Here is my build for the Ranger:

Here is the Duelist Build from this post:

Summary Advantages between the two builds Are:

Ranger:
+30 Dex
+16% Life
+12 Max Life
+8% Attack Speed
(Useless) +20% Accuracy
+42% Evasion

Duelist
+10 Int
+50% Armor
+18% Effect of Buffs

The major advantage of the Duelist over the Ranger is the spare points to get the 18% buffs, which with the elemental dmg, those buffs are large (as is the evasion aura) and could be very useful.

I could take from other areas, I just need 4 points, but I wanted to keep as close as possible on the stats. While the 50% armor increase is good, the 42% Evasion is close and then converted to armor, with the extra life, I felt they evened out. The attack speed is always a nice bonus as well. I tried very hard to only pull points from areas that I could balance out, and my only significant sacrifice is the Inner Force trio of points.

I think the OP would be pleased with the ranger substitute build and that it did a good job of maintaining the spirit of his original build.
"
Pallas wrote:
"
Pallas wrote:
"
xqflint wrote:

Ranger:
+30 Dex
+16% Life
+12 Max Life
+8% Attack Speed
(Useless) +20% Accuracy
+42% Evasion

Duelist
+10 Int
+50% Armor
+18% Effect of Buffs

The major advantage of the Duelist over the Ranger is the spare points to get the 18% buffs, which with the elemental dmg, those buffs are large (as is the evasion aura) and could be very useful.

I could take from other areas, I just need 4 points, but I wanted to keep as close as possible on the stats. While the 50% armor increase is good, the 42% Evasion is close and then converted to armor, with the extra life, I felt they evened out. The attack speed is always a nice bonus as well. I tried very hard to only pull points from areas that I could balance out, and my only significant sacrifice is the Inner Force trio of points.

I think the OP would be pleased with the ranger substitute build and that it did a good job of maintaining the spirit of his original build.

Thanks for your input. Your version of the build looks good and is certainly viable. Your version is probably slightly ahead in terms of survivability with evasion/armor bonuses being comparable and of course the gain of 16% life and 12 base life. Unfortunately I wouldn't be willing to drop Inner Force. When I take off Anger and Wrath, my Split Arrow dps drops by about 40%. Since almost half of my dps comes from those two auras alone, an 18% increase in their damage is quite huge. Reason being your weapon elemental damage from passives and gear modifies those auras by a large amount, which is then modified even further from the Weapon Elemental Damage gem (80% at max gem level).

The 4 points you spend on Inner Force end up providing more dps than any other way you could possibly spend those points. And as you mentioned, the buff it provides to Grace also results in a somewhat substantial bonus to armor rating. Is it as much as a +50% armor rating cluster? Probably not, but the main reason for getting Inner Force is how well the elemental damage from Anger and Wrath scale with your WED gems and all the other WED you get with this build (also assuming you have a quiver and belt with 20%+ WED each).
Last edited by DavosTheOnionKnight on Jul 27, 2013, 6:59:16 PM
"
"
Pallas wrote:

Ranger:
+30 Dex
+16% Life
+12 Max Life
+8% Attack Speed
(Useless) +20% Accuracy
+42% Evasion

Duelist
+10 Int
+50% Armor
+18% Effect of Buffs

Thanks for your input. Your version of the build looks good and is certainly viable. Your version is probably slightly ahead in terms of survivability with evasion/armor bonuses being comparable and of course the gain of 16% life and 12 base life. Unfortunately I wouldn't be willing to drop Inner Force. When I take off Anger and Wrath, my Split Arrow dps drops by about 40%. Since almost half of my dps comes from those two auras alone, an 18% increase in their damage is quite huge. Reason being your weapon elemental damage from passives and gear modifies those auras by a large amount, which is then modified even further from the Weapon Elemental Damage gem (80% at max gem level).

The 4 points you spend on Inner Force end up providing more dps than any other way you could possibly spend those points. And as you mentioned, the buff it provides to Grace also results in a somewhat substantial bonus to armor rating. Is it as much as a +50% armor rating cluster? Probably not, but the main reason for getting Inner Force is how well the elemental damage from Anger and Wrath scale with your WED gems and all the other WED you get with this build (also assuming you have a quiver and belt with 20%+ WED each).

I completely agree, and I'm sure I could sit down and really math some stuff out to make it work, but since I absolutely HATE dying, I just can't bring myself to sacrifice anything else to get the DPS increase. I know it's large, (not 40%, as you could still run the auras, just not get the 18% buff) but it's a hard piece to decide on. I do intend to keep looking, my character is only 60 as of now running this, I haven't had a lot of time to experiment, but I felt it was the closest you could get while still using this build as a general whole.

For example, I could sacrifice 3 +6% life nodes to get 2% less life than you, and get 2 of the aura additions, or make this overall minor change, I lose 18% life, but gain 20 str which adds flat life. I also lose the 2% max resists, but in the grand scheme of things, at that point, 2% is not a lot.

I still haven't decided which I like better, it's a hard choice, dmg or survivability.
Just a copy of any LA-Ranger.

Decent build, nothing special.
Twitch: twitch.tv/gg_nore | Twitter: @Ler_GG
#3 Hardcore Duelist |
IGN: LerLoLGEE
"
Ler wrote:
Just a copy of any LA-Ranger.

Decent build, nothing special.

Thank you so very much for your valuable and constructive feedback.

I made the build myself. I copied nothing. Also, this is duelist. Not ranger. And it would be far from optimal to use for Lightning Arrow.

People enjoy playing my build, find my guide useful, and thank me for sharing it with the community. And it just so happens that I do find this build to be "special". For a very low investment in gear and gems, a new player can solo high level maps with a level of risk almost on par with that of a dual totem spark build. Though let's be honest, that playstyle is boring. And with this build, players don't need to worry about difficult map mods that most other builds need to reroll. There is literally no combination of mods that I can't handle, even for level 77 maps. To me, that is special.

Don't go around shitting on people's guides for no reason. It accomplishes nothing and makes you look like a dick.
Last edited by DavosTheOnionKnight on Jul 28, 2013, 11:37:56 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info