The truth about RMT and Botting

So long as there is a market for an online virtual currency. RMT and botting will NEVER go away. GGG had a great concept with the bartering system but due to the rarity and need of desired orbs the demand grew much larger than the supply. The majority of all players in any online game are casual. These casual gamers are usually just as competitive as your hard ore gamers. They just play much less.

These casual players have two choices, play the game and be below average or find and RMT site to allow them to compete. This is a simple logic to digest, time is money. People spend money on their hobbies.

The only way to truly make a blow to RMT is to make orbs common. So much more that the only true bartering going on is between items. If there is no value in currency, supply becomes insignificant.

As for botting, a simple captcha window popping up here and there when zoning or randomly hourly wouldn't hinder gamers experience any more than the terrible in game chat setup. But it would make botting a pain in the ass and require monitoring vs leaving your bot on for days on end.

Just my two cents.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe
IGN: DarkenedSoui
Last edited by ShaeG on Jun 15, 2013, 5:42:19 AM
"
ShaeG wrote:
a simple captcha window popping up here and there when zoning or randomly hourly

A world of NO.
"
oblomir wrote:
"
ShaeG wrote:
a simple captcha window popping up here and there when zoning or randomly hourly

A world of NO.

Elaborate....unless you are 80 yr old man who can barely type I don't see how this would hinder you. Unless you enjoy a shit economy and botting. The fresh economies of the new leagues are already ruined by botting and RMT. Demand is too high, it will never end. It takes an hour to get to lvl 25.. You think that will do anything? If anything they will collect more orbs multi botting a bunch of toons to 25.
the sad truth is, Path Of Exile binds loot rewards to time played and pure dumb luck - when the right way to go is bind them to player skill.

some "casual players" (yes-lifers) are just as good in this game as the average top-ladder no-lifer, but end up being miserably poor and under-geared, simply because they can't afford to roll the dice as many times as the 24h-players do.

personally - as a long-time player and a fan of a good challenge, who got too old and too married to play constantly - I prefer stuff like crazy Uber-Bosses and arena-survival type challenges, that are guaranteed to drop something good if you can beat them (and that's a huge "if").
that, and/or make the game detect an under-leveled and under-geared character - and tweak the drops accordingly in that area.
also, make crafting more successful if done while in a dangerous area for example.
RNG doesn't have to be a static "slot machine" kind of thing. it should not be.
it should be dynamic and with logical biases and boundaries.

RMT sites are merely sharks that smell blood.
first you close the wound and stop the bleeding, then Harpoon the shark.
even better if you can do both at the same time.

and to the folks who automatically responded to my previous suggestions by saying "farming will be too easy" or "this will break the economy":
1) no it won't.
2) RMT will break the economy a lot faster. in fact, it already has.

EDIT: as for CAPTCHA - no. just no. the damn thing already is in too many places.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Jun 15, 2013, 6:07:26 AM
"
ShaeG wrote:
Elaborate...

Captcha sucks donkey balls.
Nice post John, I guess in a way one of the big contributors to the failure of POE's system is terrible terrible RNG. You pretty much have to have no life to play competitively or enjoy end game. This won't work. MOST players are casual.
"
ShaeG wrote:
a simple captcha window popping up here and there when zoning or randomly .

............ da fawk you smoking?
IGN:_TheHeffNerr_ IGN:_TheHeffNerr IGN:_The_Heff_Nerr_
shop! view-thread/362602 alteration shop! view-thread/379959
[SC][Build][Facebreaker] Righteous Cyclone! view-thread/355643 Killed in 0.11.0 Vote no on the patch!
Any actions vs RMT sites are doomed to fail.

Coz:

1. They know what they do and are good in it.

2. Its players that make them thrive.

3. Its again players that defend their orbs supply.

Its pointless to fight like 30% of community that buys orbs on RMT sites.

(i know this 30% is made up number but there is quite a lot of them...)
IGN: PojzonAbyss
[3.2] Immortal Indigon Poet's Pen Hirophant - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2129766
[3.1] Yamata No Orochi - Oni-Goroshi Jugg http://poeurl.com/bHB9
[2.4] The True Queen Of The Forest - Poison LA/BR Pathfinder http://poeurl.com/M6u [Retired]
"
eragon1111 wrote:
Any actions vs RMT sites are doomed to fail.

Coz:

1. They know what they do and are good in it.

2. Its players that make them thrive.

3. Its again players that defend their orbs supply.

Its pointless to fight like 30% of community that buys orbs on RMT sites.

(i know this 30% is made up number but there is quite a lot of them...)

I would say more than 30%... RMT for online game currencies is a multi MILLION dollar industry.

As for my comment about a captcha... It was just an idea. What's yours? The captcha would actually work against botting regardless of some players crying about it. Don't knock an idea when you havnt come up with one.
"
ShaeG wrote:
The captcha would actually work against botting regardless of some players crying about it.

Except it wouldn't really.
Just program the bot to log out when captcha shows up and relog....

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info