so is this game better then diablo 3?

just curious, i keep hearing this game is everything that game was suppose to be.
short answer - yes

slightly longer answer - it's a different game, it's more close in spirit to Diablo and Diablo II with it's own very unique and very workable game mechanics.

I would highly recommend you check out some of the videos on YouTube, the ones that have devs playing in them are fabulous for getting a sense of community and understanding what this game is all about. After that I doubt you wouldn't be tempted to acquire a key.
SwiftScylla :: Ranger
OldBullLee :: Templar
Castelmore :: Duelist
Vronsky :: Marauder
depends what you're after.

i think this game is better than d3 in the following areas:
+ graphics, I love the styling of PoE (it's dirty and grimy, not polished and cartoony)

+ passive skill tree -- check it out on the web site, link to your left.

+ active abilities are gems and can be linked to other gems (so you can add lightning to your favorite ability, for instance)

+ item crafting is done by upgrading whites to blues/yellows with "orbs" which are a form of currency. you never have to be stuck with a useless rare, because you can re-roll it.

+ tons of cool and interesting affixes. D3 just has 6 max per item and they are fairly sterile. Here you'll find elemental dmg (which actually does something), life steal and mana steal on the same item, along with other great flavors.

+ NA server has almost no rubber-banding, whereas d3 you can cause it by just standing still for a moment, then trying to move again

D3 does better:
- group loot (PoE is FFA, which means I don't play with other people, at all)
- voice overs (PoE is slated to get more voice acting, I think?) of course the voice acting in d3 is horrible and can't be skipped, but I guess D3 gets a point for having voice on all the quests.
- doesn't use mana for resource on pure melee classes (has rage / hate instead). seems trivial, but it means you don't have to stack INT to do your abilities, whereas PoE will make you grab mana skills even as a pure STR or pure DEX toon.

anyway, that's my opinion, ymmv.
that's all your own opinion, from what i have heard this one is more reminiscent of Diablo 1, and this has a very heavyweight skill tree
Last edited by Special on Jul 31, 2012, 8:59:13 AM
"
Special wrote:
that's all your own opinion, from what i have heard this one is more reminiscent of Diablo 1, and this has a very heavyweight skill tree

It takes the gritty feeling and atmosphere from D1, Combines the Systems and loot from D2 and then shakes and adding Strawberry ontop of it

DEEEELISH !
If you wish for a key? pray to the allmighty Keysus. If you want a speedy Blessing? Donate to the church of Keysus and ye shall receive a Blessing.

*Disclaimer- This is now a vintage saying*
It kinda depends honestly on what your looking for. While Diablo 3 is a good game, it feels very incomplete to me. The lack of end game content, and the relative crap that is legendary items kinda detracts from my overall experience. That aside though, I feel the game has a lot of room for improvement, and is something I will be playing for a long time. And honestly, the free money I get from it goes a long way into adding anticipation for a good drop, though many wold likely consider that a bad thing.

As for Path, I cant say if it is a better choice or not. I have not been able to play it, still hoping for a beta key. I have however gone through several lets plays of it and from a visual standpoint it looks good. It feels like a proper sequel to D2, with it gritty look.

Mechanically, Poe seems to have the ability to be amazing. When I first found the passive tree, I just kinda stated at it and had to stop and think. I always liked FF10 sphere grid and the shear number of potential options is amazing. Same with spells and abilities. Provided the numbers work and it truly balances out, it should allow for some interesting builds.

All that said, I think that both games are worth a shot. As it stands if you don't already have Diablo then I would wait to get it. If it was not something you had to get day one, then its not like your missing out on a lot. Wait till there is more to it. As for Poe, well like I said all I know is based on observation, but damned if it does not look like a very goof start. Plus its free, so you know not like your out anything but time if you hate it.

Hopefully you find something useful in my rambling, Been up nearly 24 hours now and may be incoherent.
Thanks for the basic overview, I've been looking for something like this.
there is only one answer for your question:

jaywilson.jpg

Step 1: Slap the Community in the Face
Step 2: Ask them if they aren't thankful
Step 3: ???????
Step 4: PROFIT
-------------------------------------------
(EU Realm) Schynbalds(Ranger) | Zischagge(Marauder)
Last edited by Ijuvatar on Jul 31, 2012, 9:46:00 AM
From my limited experience during the open weekend, this game seems to have freedom and fun, and GGG seems to have plans to keep doubling them.

And I have a thought, the D3 dev, actually don't play their own game, but rather treat D3 as how to get paid.
You know, I never really got why everyone got so upset about the repair cost increase. I hardly even noticed a change, hell I was actually in favor of it. Seemed like a legit response to corpse rushing.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info