got muted for a sarcastic remark for 24 hours?

I'm glad this is sorted out. I forgot that devs are currently muting characters with unsavory names until they get a system in place to flag them for renaming. In the future, such characters will likely be unable to log in until they are renamed by the player.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
"
Britannicus wrote:
Well, you have to realize that the game is still in beta, and some of the policies and some of the implementation of those policies haven't been worked out.

Anyways, there is no good reason to use any word which can potentially be use derogatorily toward a specific class of people (be it by gender, sexual orientation, race or religion). If I am missing the mark, so be it, but it is good advice regardless.

the most helpful response in this thread was by a guy named WhiteBoy

is that supposed to be considered offensive? I would be offended by it if someone called me that on the street...

no! its not offensive. there is no context or target. it's just a name.
Spoiler
queerchicken
was my name btw, hopefully its ok to have it here hidden. i hate being suspenseful but wanted to let people know that it was my name that got me muted.

without context or a target that is being called that, I really can't see how its more offensive than WhiteBoy (no offense, not to put you on the spot or anything, but I need something to compare to)
i wish the people i'd known growing up were nice enough to call me that.
"
twentygold wrote:
"
Britannicus wrote:
Well, you have to realize that the game is still in beta, and some of the policies and some of the implementation of those policies haven't been worked out.

Anyways, there is no good reason to use any word which can potentially be use derogatorily toward a specific class of people (be it by gender, sexual orientation, race or religion). If I am missing the mark, so be it, but it is good advice regardless.

the most helpful response in this thread was by a guy named WhiteBoy

is that supposed to be considered offensive? I would be offended by it if someone called me that on the street...

no! its not offensive. there is no context or target. it's just a name.

I've no idea what you called yourself in game, but whiteboy's username is right there and the reasons behind it in the meet the mods thread. There is a clear and understandable reason for it, mine for example was 'given' to me by someone with a poor grasp of Latin names :)

A lovely old lady I taught basic pc skills many many years ago. It made me laugh and I've had it ever since. I'm sorry you were not or missed being told why it happened, but anything you need to know about the game is right here in the forums and by tomorrow you can ask in chat again. I'm guessing at your probable level you'll only see mostly d3 this d3 that chat in global anyway :)
Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who have not.
"
twentygold wrote:

without context or a target that is being called that, I really can't see how its more offensive than WhiteBoy (no offense, not to put you on the spot or anything, but I need something to compare to)

Let me give you a brief quotation from the wikipedia article on the term:

"This term is controversial because it was reappropriated only two decades ago from its use as an anti-gay epithet. Furthermore, some LGBT people disapprove of using queer as a catch-all because they consider it offensive, derisive or self-deprecating given its continuous use as a form of hate speech. "

Context goes both ways. Don't expect them to assume either derogatory or nonderogatory context.
Last edited by Britannicus on Jul 28, 2012, 4:34:24 PM
That's highly subjective and dependent on context. As it's just a character name, there's no context to explain it. That leaves it up to the devs' discretion, and it was probably decided that it could easily be seen as offensive.

Also, my last name is White, so I have an excuse :)
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
That's highly subjective and dependent on context. As it's just a character name, there's no context to explain it. That leaves it up to the devs' discretion, and it was probably decided that it could easily be seen as offensive.

Also, my last name is White, so I have an excuse :)

well maybe your not a boy tho..... so maybe your name is referring to a, eh i give up nvm
"
twentygold wrote:
I would like to point out that if there are words that are considered offensive regardless of context, they should be blocked by a filter at the time of name selection.

If only that actually worked well.
IGN: NuzzyFipples
He's telling the truth. I had a pair of pants and the GM banned them now. No reason given at all.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info