Time Capsule Thread: Closed Beta

For the rest of Closed Beta each person should leave their posts about this game.

Q:what should I post?
A:anything really! Leave a message for yourself or other players in the future. Make predictions(then you can say I callled it and have proof), leave comments about how things are now.

Q:How do go about this thread?
A:Make your initial post here. This is your personal little time capsule, Do not edit out anything(except for grammar or something) only add onto it. When you add onto it leave a date on it. you can keep posting after that talking to others and replying to other people's posts. Of course we need to keep this bumped so that it isn't ever deleted too!

Rules:
1.keep it clean! no vulgarity for the sake of being such.
2.Do not argue. This is huge, the last thing I want is for this fun thread to turn into a debate zone. Speculation is fine, but don't try to shut people down.
3.once the closed beta ends, posts after that should be only bumps or posts talking about the time capsule posts people made. You will be branded an eternal n00blord for trying to post a time capsule post after the game goes out of closed beta.
4.Have fun! That is the point of this thread. Post your closed beta builds, post glitch pictures, silly adventures, youtube video links, anything and everything.
5.If posting about other games that are competition with this one, please keep it classy, but I don't want to stop you from speaking your mind.

Dear Future people, I hope you enjoy this thread. It only gets better with Age. Good luck GGG for your future. We are all rooting for you and we hope that you make this game great, and go on to make more awesome games!
Alma 48:17
17 Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men.
I don't know if this thread will be as epic as I hope it will be. I hope it preserves memories as a sort of archive. I honestly also fear for GGG, I want a place locked in time where if they deviate from how they are, we can point somewhere, somewhere huge, showing what we liked about them. I've seen too many developer studios burn because of bad greedy and apathetic choices.

I've never played an ARPG before and my gaming life started a bit too far after diablo 2. However I must say I love this game. It scares the heck out of me sometimes, still does. I have gone through all sorts of changes in the closed beta. I had my tanky marauder go from being a great tank who could slowly but surely kill things, to a glass cannon wimp who couldn't out-damage enemies' healing. That made me a sad panda.

I have spoken with rory the dev before and often have in game chats with the devs. It feels really cool. These guys are great and I love New Zealnders a lot. I want to go there some day in fact. I hope these guys end up going places, this game has huge potential and so far it is a great game.

One thing I hope they do in the future is have some really cool new areas to fight in. I want grand big areas and a really enticing story line. I LOVE story line in games. One thing I really hope they do is add in better trading, sometimes the junk I get for my rare items is silly. I also hope they make teaming up less of a drop party and more of an organized scenario. I think its hard to do, but it should give the player who took/dished out the most damage total the item from the drop and give it a 10 second grace period before other people can take it.

I look forward to the cash shop and all the cool looking upgrades we can get. I'd love to see a pet companion like kiwis that was like a giant fire breathing evil marshmallow with pretzel stick arms. Oh what if you could change how your zombie summons looked? I'd love to have that.

Also we need to be able to have a summon "nightmare" gem, you know the zombie demon horses. On that general topic, jelly cube monsters that do DOT and slow you while trying to suck you in would be pretty cool.

I predict this game will stand on par with Diablo 3, or surpass it. I have no hate toward the game, but I think it isn't as cool and dynamic as this game is.

Also eldrich battery and mana sheild for 99999999 mana and 1 hp is a good idea. Don't mix in blood magic, then you will spend your 1 hp on a spell and die.
17 Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men.
Last edited by Moroni on Jul 21, 2012, 1:39:38 AM
I'm just here to say that I totally called that thing that just happened that was totally unpredictable. In the future.

In present time however, this game has an atmosphere that has blown me away, and I'm glad to be a part of any thread that has a chance of documenting the early stages, and people's experiences, of the game. Because when a game turns out to be something great that you play for ages, these are the times you look back on with fond memories (and usually rose tinted glasses :p).
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻ <(o.o)> ┻━┻ ︵ \(Ò_Ó \)

I gave away the first Beta key I was offered, and declined an offer of another key the next day (October 25 and 26, 2011).

But the Timer isn't so easily refused.

Selected by Beta timer: October 31, 2011

Received first friend key: November 3, 2011

Bought a Silver Supporter pack April 4, 2012 (bought another one for teh missus' account a little later on, and another Bronze pack for my account, and gave away all the keys that came with them).

Received an invitation to participate in the Alpha realm July 1, 2012.

ETA: Received and accepted an invitation to become a forum Moderator August 1, 2012.

Funny thing is, I originally had no intention of participating in the Closed Beta. I was planning to wait until Open Beta (of course, this was also back when we all expected OB to be sometime around January or February of this year).

I found out about Path of Exile while watching ForceSC2Strategy's YouTube coverage of the pre-release development of Diablo 3, about which I was very excited. As time wore on, Force's coverage revealed that Blizzivision's original plans for the game were, in fact, not very stable. What had a year or more previously appeared to be the game for which I (among others) had waited for a decade or so was being pared down and changed into something which, without the Diablo name, wouldn't interest me. Even with that name, I eventually made the informed decision not to play the game, at all.

Meanwhile, however, Force (and Lumin, of TalesofLumin) also did some early Beta coverage of PoE, and I was hooked as soon as I saw it. I watched all the gameplay footage I could find, and still would be, if I weren't so busy playing PoE, now.

I look forward to the day that the Closed Beta is far behind us, all the keybegging threads vanished into the nether reaches of a closed board, and my PM inbox no longer filled with messages from people who assume that I've been hanging on to a Beta key, just for them.

The devs are doing a bang-up job with this game. It's a true privilege to work with them in the Alpha realm, hammering out the big bumps so all the folks in Beta have to worry about are the little bumps. Of course, I am pretty sure there are the bumps so big even the Alpha testers don't get to see them... But give the devs a chance. When we all come back to this thread in a year or five, we will all have seen so much more of PoE that the modest scope of the game as it stands today will seem charmingly quaint.

Seeya all on the shores of Wraeclast! =^[.]^=

ETA: Some folks may wonder what the blazes the collection of symbols I put at the ends of my posts mean. They're Cheetahmoticons:

=^[.]^= is the basic (happy) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nosey/tear-streak/eye/whiskers

I have others for different moods:

=@[.]@= boggled

=>[.]<= annoyed or angry

='[.]'= concerned

=0[.]o= confuzzled

=^[.]~= wink

=~[.]^= naughty wink

Others may emerge, from time to time. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Last edited by Raycheetah on Aug 3, 2012, 4:15:19 AM
To the me in the future. Marauders will be even more awesome than ever before, so be patient, and let the future dark times pass. And work on your Anger problems, or you will always lose focus when it is most crucial to be on the top of your game. Also, kill all the witches. All of them. >:D

Your Truly,

Marxis of 7/21/12

(:/ thats it really <3)
"The path of a true warrior is not how strong you become to defeat others; but how strong you become to protect those who matter most."

Yhuma - melee Dagger Shadow

Nice story raycheetah. That is the kind of thing I was hoping for!
I'll take the opportunity to post my favourite screenshot so far:
Kiwis seem to be pretty much unfazed by all the monsters and the bloodshed but they need cuddles, too. So here's some Kiwi Love :-D

Seriously, the Kiwis are awesome.
Speaking of Kiwis - I like your cuddly Kiwis - but have you ever seen a two headed one ? :D

For my time capsule I will just summarise why I got into this game, compulsively bought a silver pack and can't get enough of it.

During one of the many times when D3 servers are down for maintenance for 4-5 hours (what were they maintaining anyway :S) I started getting fed up and read up on some of the other ARPGs due out soon. Grim Dawn was looking absolutely ace, but a long way off being playable. TL also nice but just a bit too cartoonish - if you're crawling a dungeon with monsters you should be concerned about darkness, what lurks around the corner and such stuff - not playing Aladdin for the Sega Genesis (not that was anything wrong with that game).

So I heard much good things about PoE and watched a lot of videos and accidentaly murmured 'holy f$%k' in the office when I saw the skill tree for the first time (that was awkward for everyone else :) ).

So I signed up for the beta invite and went back to farming D3 gold with my bombardier demon hunter.

Fast forward a week and D3 was really getting on my nerves - either bloody servers were down or even when they were up the damn auction house was down and all my auctions were expiring and not selling, or selling at minimum bid!

During one of those downtimes I decided enough is enough and I paid the 10 bucks to have a go at this amazing looking game.

I was extremely impressed by the graphics and atmosphere of the game, but the witch was a little bit ...stiff. The combat was quite stuttery and slow and felt awkward compared to D3 mega smooth combat system (the one good feature).
I didn't give up though and started picking out some passives like cast speed and burning damage and soon found myself frantically (and perhaps somewhat skillfully) using 7 skills and commanding 5 potion slots to stay alive against the unrelenting waves of demons springing at me from the darkness and the combat became indeed very smooth and dynamic - I was SOLD.

I spent a good while just progressing and thinking my way through the skill tree, discovering different ways of crafting the gear I needed/liked and actually getting drops worthwhile keeping - this was so refreshing.

I was discovering more and more that the whole thinking behind this game is on the spot for its style - you will not get spoonfed, walked through, helped, cuddled or revered through the game's mechanics - it's a tough cruel world and you're out to make a name for yourself and discover hot to survive and improve on your own. I'd had enough of the 'weak demi-god goes out to save the world, has a ball and wins the day' storyline we've had so often.

So the only logical step for me was to buy a shiny Kiwi :D:D:D

I know I will be playing this game for a good while (much more than the 150 hours I played D3 for) and can't wait to see it in its fully glory, but I would also like to say that I was there when the game was still in development and saw it change and improve so much.

The pre-9.11 skilltree was quite mad (in a good way) - it pretty much allowed any class to pick up any skills they wanted without too much hassle, so you could come up with absolutely crazy builds without taking too much punishment, provided you could theorycraft them properly.

Having said that I think the new skill tree is also nice - my fire witch was pretty much just as powerful as before and now has a few extra choices (such as easy access to minion hubs) that I didn't have before. The classes are also more defined, so I'm happy with that - you can still do crazy builds - just not as wild as before.

I hope that we get a few more interesting skills/passives to use as a fire witch, but I'm happy going the fire-summoner way at the moment.

I haven't even started any of the other classes yet !

I also hope we get a really nice third act with lots of urban maps, more of that beautiful New-Zillund inspired landscape and more human-made dungeons (how good are the Vaal ruins and church dungeon eh).

I hope the map endgame system is also viable and fun (haven't gotten there yet) and that we have a nice large healthy community for a long time after release to keep the economy alive.

That reminds me I didn't write about just how good the economy is looking - I mean what chances are there we get hyperinflation or massive price hikes with this economy ? Besides what good is gold on an island of exiled criminals and fugitives - they don't need jewellery, but weapons and armour and ways to improve it!!

See you in Wraeclast !
D1 - PvM D2 - PvM/PvP D3 - MvM (Money vs Monster)
Hey I'm Sillex ( named after my coffee pot 12 years ago long before the fax machine noise and have no relation to there name ) I joined PoE after a brief visit to ToG, I wasn't expecting what I was about to get someself into thinking it would be just another 10$ money sink ( after all I was really desperate and was debating on this or TQ )
But I found a diamond in the rough... You see I didn't do any research or snooping around about this game, I kinda just dove in and man was I glad I did.
PoE has been a game to me like no other actually it combined all my fav games together into one giant stew and then threw freedom into my face and this was my eden where ill be spending a lot of my time for many years to come.
I'm truly happy with the staff and direction this game is going. Long live PoE and GGG
Please don't pm me asking for beta keys :)
I am here only to leave my mark. :P

Even my Kiwi pal wants to partake in it as well.

Edit: That kiwi evolved to a gold kiwi a while back. Also, his name is Fido now.

Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Oct 5, 2012, 4:51:25 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info