Dragon's Immortal Tank (Updated for 1.2)

Dragon, I'm just starting my way through the build and am using it in Anarchy. As you can imagine, there are no rich people yet, so I went ahead and spent 2 points to grab Amplify in the templar tree, adds 12% radius of area skills (Melee splash and infernal blow) This is the equivalent of having a 12%q on both gems. Have you thought about using amplify as a staple of your build and increasing the radius even farther?
"
Dragon585 wrote:
"
Cornostr wrote:
Hello Dragon,
As i see you active on this topic and doing amazing job i got a few questions. Using this build with succes, solo map ilvl72- clearing is snowballing.

I'm doin (tankin it till he kills everything) 70+ maps with my friend whos full of IQ/IR. He read somewhere that if a mob is dying by Infernal Blow and another mob is exploding killing another ones - they count as default IQ/IR map. So he was mad at me, because even when he killing a mob some of them explode affected by mine IB. Changed IB to LS with some support gems and its okey. Have u ever heard of this IB "bug"?

Can u link ur gear when u solo run in MF gear? and gems what are u running? no idea how to link my gear but atm sitting on 7k dps.

PS. Build with LS works great too, if u got friend with IR/IQ and decent dmg. With this passives IB and LS is same dmg (sometimes even higher - depends on supporting gems) - not considering the massive AoE from IB which makes IB a lot of more DPS.

Hi there.
I haven't heard of this bug you speak of. It does sort of make sense though. From my experience with grouping it seems that no matter who gets the killing blow, the corpse explode always reflects back to me vs ele reflect. So I think your friend could be right.

For my MF gear, I don't use to much. It is pretty dangerous to gimp yourself as melee with mf gear so I only had a little. I did, however switch to this
for killing blows. I had a lvl 1 LS and iir/iiq gems socket in it. When I got a boss to <10% I would drop decoy totem, run out a few paces, swap weapons and get the killing blow with the axe. I think all together it was around 70/180 mf? It has been a while since I did that as I have rolled a dual totem templar to do all my mfing.

"
Midas_ wrote:
It's possible to make a Templar w/ this build but skip, not much...but some health nodes and grab elemental damage nodes? I really loved your build, but i love templars and i don't like that much of IB, it's possible to use another skill? Like cleave+elemental damage? Maybe use scepters for ele damage too. Well, thanks and this is an hell of a build!
Going for Anarchy and definitily want to try this out!

btw, is there anyway to make it as an CI build? LOTS of block+Aurora Shield must raise the ES so much...and doing that i think it's cool to grab some elemental damage nodes in the way of CI/ES nodes.

It is possible sure. I wouldn't skip out on any hp nodes however. The basic principle of the build revolves around aegis aurora and stone of lazwhar. If you have those items, the rest of it is just maximizing your resists, hp, and block chance. The build actually does very respectable damage with so few dps nodes (once you get a 6L). And most people that have never played a block build underestimate the importance of high block chance for being in melee.

This build could work with just about any melee attack really. However, I don't really think it is a good idea to run it with LS or GS. Those 2 are more ranged attacks and really don't need all the defensive points that this build has. With the recent buff to splash radius the sky is the limit! Even glacial hammer with a 20% splash has respectable aoe range now.

As for CI, it is not really something that can be done with my build. Switching to CI would cause you to lose several auras as well as the ability to link blood magic to your attack. I am not saying it can't be done, but it would be a completely different build.

-Dragon

Thanks for the extremely fast feedback! :P
Yea, how about glacial hammer? Should be good like IB?
Something like that, what you think?

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABVuLjOFz7SBG1zEBNYCIuhpsGYUkqjbp42r60h0UTDUoxfO-j0bQ0M9lVcYWb4TERHJANiNNtPnwH6IAFE0EswJxMolX4nflGjinhJBVZp6plU99gFYaMlFgKU-Cm6yqcql82a9s6dUM9zwtZ5tfP_ZIjM9QUFhjxthXDfuqoLTSIZ7NpzAB5zboZKMaVWEhhO907XrvYEsFLZtqPT6X_sWKXca1BOQiRUf3MvjrQaoUcUCg704otWCIYVKfyzIJXUklJ_e-J-3z3ew4xPYOcg==

And thanks again! xD
"
Aracknid wrote:
around how much does The Covenant usually go for in Standard league?

Best guess (I don't usually have trade chat on) is 3-5 gcp. Hopefully someone that knows for sure will reply.

"
Soladis66 wrote:
I don't know if this has been asked yet, but if you were take all the aura's off, how affective would this build be?
Also if you were to have like 4 of the aura's how effective would this build be?

Effective how? Are you talking just dps or overall? Because without testing I can tell you this build wouldn't do well in high end maps with no auras. Purity and Vitality and Grace are pretty hard to give up.

If I could only choose 4 auras I would choose purity, vitality, grace, and Hatred. Luckily, I don't have to. Even if the trick with the covenant gets fixed, there is always the BM gem alternative.

"
Pallas wrote:
Dragon, I'm just starting my way through the build and am using it in Anarchy. As you can imagine, there are no rich people yet, so I went ahead and spent 2 points to grab Amplify in the templar tree, adds 12% radius of area skills (Melee splash and infernal blow) This is the equivalent of having a 12%q on both gems. Have you thought about using amplify as a staple of your build and increasing the radius even farther?

Yes, I have thought about it. This question seems to get asked a lot. It is perfectly ok to grab this node, but I see it as a wasted 2 points that I can replace with gcps. In addition, the new splash radius buff has made the radius TONS better. I would actually say that no you can prob have a blast with just 20% total quality between both gems. 20 on BOTH gems is just insanely good now.

The main reason why I don't take blast radius is because I had an agenda for the build and have so few remaining talent points after. So, I felt like it was a necessity to spend them as wisely as possible and an increase to aoe radius and damage didn't fit the bill for 2 points.

"
Midas_ wrote:

Thanks for the extremely fast feedback! :P
Yea, how about glacial hammer? Should be good like IB?
Something like that, what you think?

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABVuLjOFz7SBG1zEBNYCIuhpsGYUkqjbp42r60h0UTDUoxfO-j0bQ0M9lVcYWb4TERHJANiNNtPnwH6IAFE0EswJxMolX4nflGjinhJBVZp6plU99gFYaMlFgKU-Cm6yqcql82a9s6dUM9zwtZ5tfP_ZIjM9QUFhjxthXDfuqoLTSIZ7NpzAB5zboZKMaVWEhhO907XrvYEsFLZtqPT6X_sWKXca1BOQiRUf3MvjrQaoUcUCg704otWCIYVKfyzIJXUklJ_e-J-3z3ew4xPYOcg==

And thanks again! xD

To be brutally honest, I think that build is not optimized. If I were to change this build to templar I would do THIS.

Just my opinions. I hope you guys realize you can feel free to make any changes you see fit. These are just things I base of off my experiences in game and yours may differ.

Thanks for the positive feedback :)

-Dragon
DISCLAIMER!
The views and expressed opinions of Dragon are solely those of a drunken redneck and are not necessarily those of a sane person. Any likeness of intelligence is strictly coincidental and should not be taken seriously. His posts should not be read... by anyone.
Last edited by Dragon585 on Jun 10, 2013, 12:19:18 AM
DISCLAIMER!
The views and expressed opinions of Dragon are solely those of a drunken redneck and are not necessarily those of a sane person. Any likeness of intelligence is strictly coincidental and should not be taken seriously. His posts should not be read... by anyone.
Last edited by Dragon585 on Jun 10, 2013, 12:19:29 AM
Hi Dragon, nice build.
I have a Facebreaker build with Infernal Blow. You are using melee splash, if I use it instaed of Faster attack I'm loosing arounf 2500 dps... Buffed from 11000 to 8500

This is my combo:

I try both but I haven't your own experience...

Sorry for my english, I speak only italian and french :) and only a bit of english...
"
Lexther wrote:
Hi Dragon, nice build.
I have a Facebreaker build with Infernal Blow. You are using melee splash, if I use it instaed of Faster attack I'm loosing arounf 2500 dps... Buffed from 11000 to 8500

This is my combo:

I try both but I haven't your own experience...

Sorry for my english, I speak only italian and french :) and only a bit of english...

Hi Lex,

I am not really familiar with the facebreaker mechanics so I can't really help you there. Sorry. If I had to guess, and this is purely based off of using a weapon and not facebreakers, I would say ditch melee physical damage for splash (you will lose tooltip dps but you gain the ability to hit everything in aoe) and trade added fire damage for weapon elemental damage. When you get to a boss fight, you can swap out splash with something else, since you don't need aoe vs bosses.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I really don't know much about facebreaker builds.

-Dragon
DISCLAIMER!
THX mate. Weapon ele dmg doesn't work without a weapon. Your answer is perfect, the output damage on single target is lower but aoe is good vs packs. Mmmh I think I am going to switch to cyclone for group of mob and use my actual combo against bosses. Thanks a lot, your 3d was an inspiration for respect my previous fb build :)
God I feel like a noob, but here goes. I am a pretty new player so i wonder what I am doing wrong using this build. First, what aura's should i get first? I can only run tempest shield and hatred right now and I ALWAYS run out of mana badly :( So what aura's should i put on and when? I am a level 38 marauder as of now. Thanks dragon! Also, should i be using infernal blow for leveling now?
"
balinup13 wrote:
God I feel like a noob, but here goes. I am a pretty new player so i wonder what I am doing wrong using this build. First, what aura's should i get first? I can only run tempest shield and hatred right now and I ALWAYS run out of mana badly :( So what aura's should i put on and when? I am a level 38 marauder as of now. Thanks dragon! Also, should i be using infernal blow for leveling now?

Hey man!
We all started somewhere. At lower levels it is best to keep auras off. Keep them socketed in your gear (preferably in weapon swap) so they level with you. As a lower level, it is very difficult to deal with mana. I would run clarity and tempest shield only. You can level with something like ground slam or cleave since they are aoe attacks w/o needing to be linked to gems, adding to the mana cost. Try to get yourself a mana leech gem also.

Hope this helps.

-Dragon
DISCLAIMER!
Very nice guide man, i will give your build a try. I am a newb in this game, but i have played quite some D2 and D3 (not to a pro level tho), and i've always liked tanks with shields.

Judging by the last post here, and my experience with build guides so far, i'd suggest you add some info about leveling skills, when to use what etc to your guide. It's a very useful thing that most people don't do and us newbs and up confused about what to use when, what to do if we can't find this or that skill, etc.

I will post back if i run into trouble.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info