Could someone from GGG answer please? :D

"
EndOfEnds wrote:
If I'm right in assuming the two new permanent leagues will be Hardcore Self-Found and Default Self-Found, most of the players interested in those leagues are "Invisible" to the community anyway (Other than being seen idle in towns).

Mainly because they rarely have any contact with other people (Rarely parting / Never trading).

Though I guess it's just as likely that one of the leagues will be Self-Found and the other one may be a Cutthroat league.

According to Chris on reddit (shame have to look there for the answer as usual)

"
chris_wilson Lead Developer 70 points 19 hours ago*

Edit: These two are not cut-throat or self-found/craftsman leagues. We're very excited about cut-throat, and are working to make it awesome, but that has a separate timeline.

So they are keen on cut-throat and self found gets no comment
"
Hilbert wrote:
I am pretty sure that's wrong I played that game when it was quite(5-6 years or so) new and the first edition had cards like Moxen, Black Lotus, Ancestral Recall, Time Walk, Time Vault which allowed to pull of one to three turn kill combinations.

Bro, the first edition (Alpha) is almost 20 years old now. But yeah, there were definitely some broken cards, which allowed turn 1 kills sometimes. Most of these are banned or restricted in most formats, though.

"
HopTortoise wrote:
Every time you spend orbs on that 2h sword, you aren't "rerolling" it. You are pulling one sword out of the deck of all possible swords, at the cost of currency/time.

Rerolling isn't the same as pulling a brand new card, because you can reroll very specific things: sockets, socket colours, links, mods, mod values, implicit mod values, etc.

In Magic, you can't really say "I want a card just like this one but with more Power/Toughness", at least most of the time.

In the particular case of rolling mods, which probably has the highest number of random outcomes, perhaps the correct MtG analogy is that of buying booster packs while looking for a specific rare. You only get one rare per pack, and there might be 100 possible rares in the given expansion, but you can spend a few bucks to spin the wheel. Maybe you get lucky and crack one straight away, maybe you end up opening two whole booster boxes and don't get any.

Of course, comparing rerolling to pulling new cards has one glaring flaw: in Magic, you still get to keep the old cards, so while you might not get what you want, you at least get something, perhaps something you can trade for what you actually want. Not so with rerolling items in PoE.

"
HopTortoise wrote:
I'm saying it might be worth your while to actually write down the list of things that you reserve the right to change, and the things that you guarantee NOT to change.

I'm not convinced making arbitrary promises is always a good thing. WotC intensely regrets ever making the Reserved List, the list of cards they have "promised" to never reprint.
Of course, there are some things we won't ever change, such as F2P-not-P2W, etc. but you knew that. And, clearly, we reserved the right to modify the item mod pool.
Code warrior
"
Rhys wrote:
In Magic, you can't really say "I want a card just like this one but with more Power/Toughness", at least most of the time.

In the particular case of rolling mods, which probably has the highest number of random outcomes, perhaps the correct MtG analogy is that of buying booster packs while looking for a specific rare. You only get one rare per pack, and there might be 100 possible rares in the given expansion, but you can spend a few bucks to spin the wheel. Maybe you get lucky and crack one straight away, maybe you end up opening two whole booster boxes and don't get any.

Of course, comparing rerolling to pulling new cards has one glaring flaw: in Magic, you still get to keep the old cards, so while you might not get what you want, you at least get something, perhaps something you can trade for what you actually want. Not so with rerolling items in PoE.

You still don't understand the analogy.

There is no new card you are inventing when you want it with "more toughness" as your example.

The deck in this game is much larger. The card with more toughness on it already exists. Every card exists, and each card is entirely separate. The sword with 3 damage instead of 4 damage are not the same cards. They are entirely different cards.

For instance if you have a 2h sword with the given mods, there would be a separate card in the space of all possible cards for each state involving sockets, links, and colors as well.

=)

The ONLY difference is that you are throwing away one card for a new card, and can sometimes slightly direct the outcome or direction you want to go in.

It's still the exact same thing, in the end. The items in this game ARE the cards, and your player is the deck.

Adding fluff mid-swing to the card-space is fucking shameful.

and you can bet your ass if you ever did that during a 4 month heated league race, you would lose a lot more players than just me.
Last edited by HopTortoise on May 13, 2013, 7:31:26 PM
"
HopTortoise wrote:
There is no new card you are inventing when you want it with "more toughness" as your example.

The deck in this game is much larger. The card with more toughness on it already exists. Every card exists, and each card is entirely separate. The sword with 3 damage instead of 4 damage are not the same cards. They are entirely different cards.

For instance if you have a 2h sword with the given mods, there would be a separate card in the space of all possible cards for each state involving sockets, links, and colors as well.

The ONLY difference is that you are throwing away one card for a new card, and can sometimes slightly direct the outcome or direction you want to go in.

It's still the exact same thing, in the end. The items in this game ARE the cards, and your player is the deck.

Right. This is exactly what I was saying.

The only differences in the analogy are that in PoE you can control things to some extent (by choosing to use Fuses/Chromatics/Chaos/etc.) and that you don't get to keep the old item.
Code warrior
I don't know where these guys are coming from, asking GGG to promise not to change things. Change is interesting and fun!

I hope the guys at GGG continue changing everything that needs changing, and heck, let them change even some stuff which doesn't need it, just for the sake of keeping things fresh.

Who isn't excited to hear about new skill or support gems? Or changes to the passive tree? Or new uniques with interesting new mechanics? How many would be disappointed by the addition of a new act?

"Waaah! They're making the game more fun, and all I wanted to do was win!"
"
MesostelZe wrote:
I don't know where these guys are coming from, asking GGG to promise not to change things. Change is interesting and fun!

I hope the guys at GGG continue changing everything that needs changing, and heck, let them change even some stuff which doesn't need it, just for the sake of keeping things fresh.

Who isn't excited to hear about new skill or support gems? Or changes to the passive tree? Or new uniques with interesting new mechanics? How many would be disappointed by the addition of a new act?

"Waaah! They're making the game more fun, and all I wanted to do was win!"

I'm starting to notice a trend of diamond supporters posting vitriol comments about made-up entities inside their mind whenever people post anything even remotely approaching criticism of this game or specific changes within the game.

"wahh, they are making the game more fun."???

Who would actually say that?

Were you one of the people who thought adding light radius/reduced attributes made the game more fun?.

You probably are. If GGG added a rare affix "of the poop" which made your item automatically suck in every way, you would probably call it a useful, meaningful, and fun addition.

"
Jaknet wrote:
"
EndOfEnds wrote:
If I'm right in assuming the two new permanent leagues will be Hardcore Self-Found and Default Self-Found, most of the players interested in those leagues are "Invisible" to the community anyway (Other than being seen idle in towns).

Mainly because they rarely have any contact with other people (Rarely parting / Never trading).

Though I guess it's just as likely that one of the leagues will be Self-Found and the other one may be a Cutthroat league.

According to Chris on reddit (shame have to look there for the answer as usual)

I guess I'll have to start using reddit!

"
chris_wilson Lead Developer 70 points 19 hours ago*

Edit: These two are not cut-throat or self-found/craftsman leagues. We're very excited about cut-throat, and are working to make it awesome, but that has a separate timeline.

"
So they are keen on cut-throat and self found gets no comment

That's a little disappointing. I was really hoping for 'Self Found'

"
But yeah, there were definitely some broken cards, which allowed turn 1 kills sometimes. Most of these are banned or restricted in most formats, though.

I checked the rule sets and there are still many 14 year old combinations which are overpowered.

Vintage banned only those Throw/Flip gamble cards there are a few restricted cards.

Legacy adds some special card combinationsbut there are still so many left.

For example Illusionary Mask the Phyrexian card from mirage for 1 Mana for 12/12 without the from hand Drawback. Add many countercards and Sphere of resistance and you got another 2 Turn kill combination.

The block formats kill certain combinations but there are still really powerful mechanics.

For example the Urzas Block introduced the Hidden, Veiled and Opal Enhancements which resulted in powerful creatures with barely any mana. Then it had cards like Endless Worm which is a 9/9 for 5 mana with an enhancement drawback, Argothian Worm 6/6 for 4 with land destroying ability.
I haven't ever seen any similar powerful cards in future or in the past.

Usually there were some overly expensive blue cards and later some cards which never came into play on professional games.

The Spell counter mechanic never made a return because it was too powerful.
Same with rampage, echo etc.

You can see feeble attempts to bring back certain cards in a more balanced manner but yet they never make a return.
For example Maro from Mirage vs Maro-Sorcerer(costs 2 mana more) from Urzas Legacy.

Even planewalkers are attempts to recreate old effects in a more balanced fashion.

But in fact the only thing I see is an addition of a sub rarity of rare cards to get more money.
But in terms of gameplay older cards are far more powerful.

Just look how they tried to put readd old card mechanics from the powerful 9 alpha or less powerful 5 beta? cards.

First they created cards with sacrifice drawbacks which didn't affect one-two turn kills.
Then they added spell counters which resulted in another strategy to gain as many spellcounters possible to result in a 1-2 turn kill.
Then they added something like "Wait 3-5 turns till you can play this effect"

"
HopTortoise wrote:

Were you one of the people who thought adding light radius/reduced attributes made the game more fun?.

I didnt like the mod till i realized my EK Mara can now use wands without a shitload of int on his gear ... now im lovin it \o/
[Beyond] Hajhji/MahouShoujo_Madoka

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info