Could someone from GGG answer please? :D

"
HopTortoise wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, charging for your product is no different than it being released.

Honestly it doesn't matter if you personally view it as beta or not. The game isn't finished yet, and they need to keep making progress on the game. If they keep delaying progress for the sake of appeasing those who would hold it back then the game will never be finished.
Since there's always some form of play in session in PoE, it's rather difficult not to change something while somebody is in the middle of play. It's obviously not comparable to a game with regularly scheduled and highly temporary tournaments. Just when are GGG supposed to patch stuff?
"
HopTortoise wrote:
You seem to be focusing on standard a lot, which a lot of people never bothered with.

What I said also applies to Extended, Modern, Commander, Legacy, Vintage, etc. etc.

"
HopTortoise wrote:
I am NOT used to having my tactics be nerfed, changed, or otherwise altered in any way shape or form DURING a tournament.

We don't patch during 3-hour races, which is the analogue. MtG doesn't have week-long events, but it does have year-long ones, which are affected by new expansions.

"
HopTortoise wrote:
also, the rule changes that happen are generally in regards to EMERGENCIES.

Not always. Most errata and changes to the banned/restricted lists happen after several months.

"
HopTortoise wrote:
anybody new who shows up and wants to buy some booster packs...well, they get shittier cards on average than the people who were around longer. WHAT? lol.

Well, if you could reroll your Magic cards, it would be a pretty different game, wouldn't it?
Code warrior
I really hope cutthroat is not included in those 2 leagues, cuz if CT won't be permanent, you just killed the one thing that i'm waiting for, that could make me play PoE again... Goddammit.
IGN YuanMoons
"
YuanMoons wrote:
I really hope cutthroat is not included in those 2 leagues, cuz if CT won't be permanent, you just killed the one thing that i'm waiting for, that could make me play PoE again... Goddammit.

I find it odd that you would rather not have it at all, than have it for a 4-month period.

I doubt one of these leagues will be cut-throat, but it WOULD be a good opportunity for them to test cut-throat's viability as a permanent league. (Since OB started, they have only done short-duration cut-throat leagues)
I'm impressed with the amount of MtG knowledge being thrown around in here.

That said, I think there are quite a few differences between the patching schedule being applied to Path of Exile (and any *video* game for that matter), and the types of flushes, changes, and "patches" that happen to card games.
When referring to any given change that happens in an Path of Exile (let's use +Light Radius for example) that has the possibility to negatively effect someones experience, the important thing to remember is that your investment can change, at any given point. If you rolled a +Light Radius modifier, and you didn't want it, then you have the option of re-rolling that particular piece of gear.

Now, you can sit here and argue about the cost, complexity, RNG, or associated pains that may be brought about by re-rolling the item, but the base point here is that it's possible. If you have an errata to a card that you don't like, there is nothing you can do but replace the card.

So for the sake of everyone trying to buy into the comparisons being used here, don't make out like a video game and a trading card game can have "patching" systems mirrored between them, because they're two very different mediums, and I'm sure when GGG said their patching model was similar to the way MtG is changed, they didn't mean it's identical in all aspects of changes made, basis that they're made upon, and the times at which they should, or can be applicable.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
I believe it was mentioned that the 2 new leagues will be Immolation and another one , can't remember from top of my head.
"
MrSpaviel wrote:
I believe it was mentioned that the 2 new leagues will be Immolation and another one , can't remember from top of my head.

What you are referring to are new race events, you can see them on the events page. What Chris is talking about are new leagues that you will be able to play in like in Default or Hardcore league at the moment.
IGN: Iworkeout
"
The best deck from 10 years ago (or even 1 year ago!) isn't the best deck now. And the same is true for character builds in Path of Exile. Behold the meta-game: the game that surrounds the game, where people compete to stay on top of a continuously shifting landscape, discovering new builds and strategies, new synergies and combos, new ways to make old things work, and so on.

I am pretty sure that's wrong I played that game when it was quiet(5-6 years or so) new and the first edition had cards like Mox "Jewel", Black Lotus, Ancestral Recall, Time Walk, Time Vault which allowed to pull of one to three turn kill combinations.

Then there were cards like Bazar of Bagdad, Library of Alexandria pretty early which allowed powerful combinations with later cardsets.

IIRC there was a card that turned every card in your graveyard into a 2/2 token and the only way not to be killed withing 4 turns is to pull off a Darkest Hour+Day of Light combination or that urzas saga card which removed all cards from game instead putting them on the graveyard. And that was pretty hard to pull off because most other cards were instants to counter spells or Yawgmoths will to counter several "from hand effects"

Even later sets that tried to reinvent old cards proved to be too powerful. Phyrexian Tower, Academy of Tolaria, Time Spiral, Mox Diamond, Lotus Valley.
Effects that proved to be too powerful never made a comeback.
"
Rhys wrote:
Well, if you could reroll your Magic cards, it would be a pretty different game, wouldn't it?

You're missing the card analogy.

Picture every single valid/possible combination of affixes in the game. Magic, rare, you name it...

Now picture this combination on say, a max level 2h sword of a given item type.

Every time you spend orbs on that 2h sword, you aren't "rerolling" it. You are pulling one sword out of the deck of all possible swords, at the cost of currency/time.

Now it's starting to sound more like Magic, right?

Or you could choose to buy a card (specific set of affixes on a specific item) from a player.

Adding affixes and altering the game in this sense is no different than spontaneously adding additional filler cards to an expansion pack that has already been released. I am quite certain WotC has NEVER DONE THIS. EVER. They might ban certain cards in a current release, or make certain cards rarer in a newer release...or never release those cards again. But they don't put an edition in print, and then alter the rarity of cards DURING the printing.

THAT never happens.

Edit: I'm not saying GGG should not be allowed to change things.

I'm saying it might be worth your while to actually write down the list of things that you reserve the right to change, and the things that you guarantee NOT to change.

If you cannot actually separate these two things, it shows a lack of respect to the players.
Last edited by HopTortoise on May 13, 2013, 11:33:20 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info