Global Chat Tonight...

What's the best way to report offensive character names? Last I heard it was a PM to Chris, but I don't want to bug the guy. :P

It's pretty unfortunate to see people getting into Merciless with these character names before anything is done about them.
The Amazon Basin: A Community of Friends Playing Games

http://www.theamazonbasin.com
You could still do the group-mute automatic action thing, only instead of banning the ignored account from chat, move them into a different channel, filled with other ignored accounts. Don't tell them they've been moved. Watch the confused offensive people all being offensive to each other in a padded room chat channel all of their own.
"
KoTao wrote:
"
Wittgenstein wrote:
I can't wait for in game moderation.

I think its pointless. The players already have account ignore ability; add a clientside wordfilter (that also applies to character names) and a do not disturb function as well and the resources that would be mostly wasted on moderation attempts (keeping in mind this is a free to play game with minimal barriers to making endless accounts) could be more fruitfully spent on better things.
Yes, I'd love to have to mute all 5 million spambots in chat personally.

BEST GOLD TRADES W W W DOT P O E G O L D DOT G O A T S E

There's a point to chat moderation. I'm not sure what things would be better than having a usable chat system, given how the game's success will depend on being something one can play with or against other people...
Yesterday even HC chat was spammy. Just turn it off and enjoy dat singleplayer.
Question: Why do you care about what other people (that you don't even know and will probably never meet) say in the global chat?

People get too easily offended ,when they could just not give a fuck.

The worst part is that most people pretend to get offended by some "offensive" joke or something just so they can have a bit of attention and feeling that they have done something good when they report someone, but don't realize they actually fucked over a person for a joke.

The only thing that should be stopped is spamming.
I carve and sell real animal skulls, check out my work here: https://www.instagram.com/victorseiche/
https://www.facebook.com/victorseicheart/
World first Uber Atziri as 2h and 2h RT build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1058950
Highest level char in Closed Beta, Wytchfindergeneral
"
VictorDoom wrote:
Question: Why do you care about what other people (that you don't even know and will probably never meet) say in the global chat?

The worst part is that most people pretend to get offended by some "offensive" joke or something just so they can have a bit of attention and feeling that they have done something good when they report someone, but don't realize they actually fucked over a person for a joke.

We aren't talking about a few offensive jokes or something.. I once played while 2 people went back and forth for about 40 minutes talking about their mothers vagina's in graphic detail, incessantly. While this is going on new players are logging into the game for the first time and can't get answers to their questions because of stupid asinine discussions like that. The two people involved in the conversation were in a team (because they also talked about what they were doing in between discussing their mothers genitalia) So, if I could have done something, I would have muted them globally. They could have been talking in team, but chose not to, only to annoy other players.

The attitude that is "I can say whatever I want, YOU just shouldn't be offended" is childish, and more importantly, completely untrue. Their are, certainly, extremes on either side... I understand people like to curse every 5 seconds, I understand some people like jokes that I may not, I for one love talking about religion and politics which are the 2 things you should never discuss... but their are certainly times when most rational people can agree that what is being discussed in a public forum, should best be left to a private conversation.

Simply because you are on the internet doesn't mean you should just act like a child and pretend that you have no idea what it means to be civil. We are still human beings on the internet, human beings have feelings, human beings are rational, and most adult human beings have the basic level of empathy to just stop being rude if they are told they are being so. I am aware that the internet has been given this free pass, that people log in and instantly become fools (I have been playing online games for a long time) However, that doesn't mean I have to accept it.
"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
I think moderators are the only way. No filter will prevent expressing those things that disgust or offend you, they will only make them cooler if you manage to go around the filter.

Also, there is no universal valid standard about what is OK and what is not. Some people will be offended if you tell them to go fuck themselves, some will just take it as a common phrase. Some people are offended if you talk about your drug experience. (I played one MMO and someone reported me for saying 'cocaine' in the world chat.) This decision is up to the game makers (GGG) and what standards they want to have, of course. The best tool to achieve this are moderators.
✠ ✠
Last edited by wiggin on Jul 6, 2012, 7:54:27 AM
"
OnmyojiOmn wrote:
What's the best way to report offensive character names? Last I heard it was a PM to Chris, but I don't want to bug the guy. :P

It's pretty unfortunate to see people getting into Merciless with these character names before anything is done about them.

f8, crop and send to support@grindinggear.com. It'll be handled promptly. :)
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
VictorDoom wrote:

Agreed in the case of item-site or similar bots, and in the form of a permanent ban at that. Actual players spamming (like, serious nonstop screen filling spam without purpose) is rare and can usually be handled with a couple ignores.
IGN: KoTao
"
VictorDoom wrote:

There are people, believe it or not, who concern themselves with something that may seem idiotic so some - helping newcomers.

This thread isn't about being PC and asking for the censorship of other players in an overly-sensitive manner. For god's sake, a front page thread in GD is entitled "Fuck you GGG" and it's been there for quite a few days and not been locked, which shows that this community, myself included, isn't so hung up on "naughty words."

This thread is about trying to stop people from repeatedly reminding us how much of a n__ger Jay Wilson is in Normal GC, for a real example, when new-comers have questions. Yes a player can mute that mouth-breather, I understand, but to couple that with spam from other morons about Diablo 3 or whatever is to discourage a lot of new players from using GC as a means to ask people like me real and important questions. I would rather them not have to sift through waves of stupid crap that we can agree is socially unacceptable in order to see an answer to their question, and I would like people who try to help to not have to labor through the same trough of shit or not even see a question asked at all because of it.

They can use the forums but most people do not choose this immediately because they love playing the game, so I tend to answer their questions and direct them here for a huge utility source in the future.

This has nothing to do with being overly sensitive. I am one of the most tolerant people when it comes to foul language, but racial slurs have (if you've noticed lately) become somewhat discouraged and frowned upon by a few people in the world over the past half century, so I tend to go with those individuals. I don't care if they get screwed over because of a joke, using a public medium to tell racist jokes is socially unacceptable (yes, even on the Internet) and should be done so in private.

A community can break a game if it has no means of filtering out idiots who have nothing better to do than to attempt to ruin it, which is rare here considering how much PoE has to provide, but I would like moderation because it will help new players get access to people who are willing to help (while simultaneously encouraging more veteran players to actually stay in GC) and this will help the community grow. I apologize if this type of attention seeking bothers you.
Last edited by YoMicky on Jul 6, 2012, 12:11:27 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info