+1.
It's unnecessarily clunky atm.
Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen!
Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous
"
Zanphlos wrote:
First world Problems, not everything needs to be in lazy mode to be fun :/

It makes me a bit sad that you think this is something that would make the game easier.

It would make the game more fluid, dynamic, faster, enjoyable, etc etc.

You should never have to wait on an action game's engine to do what you want to do. The game should be eagerly waiting on your next input.

This is an Arpg, not a turn based game or the like. Combat is supposed to be fast, and fluid.
"
Mizak wrote:
"
Zanphlos wrote:
First world Problems, not everything needs to be in lazy mode to be fun :/

It makes me a bit sad that you think this is something that would make the game easier.

It would make the game more fluid, dynamic, faster, enjoyable, etc etc.

You should never have to wait on an action game's engine to do what you want to do. The game should be eagerly waiting on your next input.

This is an Arpg, not a turn based game or the like. Combat is supposed to be fast, and fluid.

Not to mention all those gamers that spend lots of time on these kinda games and are used to using directional attacks. Talk about shutting out a portion of the core demographics for the title.
Little update. I have found a GGG response that gives a subtle update about this issue.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/36467/highlight/

I have to say though, the only 2 GGG replies I have found regarding this issue are from August of 2011 and now recently. I just wish GGG would give a bit more insight into this.

This is a deal breaker for me GGG and I know I'm not alone as this thread (and others) have proved.

You guys have a good game, and this is a big step towards making it great. I implore you to not make the mistake of thinking this will not keep a large portion of people from playing your game.

I have said it before (as have others). This is the kind of combat issue that will cause gamers of my type to play for a few hours and decide to not stay because the combat isn't fluid enough. My hunch is that a majority of these gamers will not post feedback, they simply will just not keep playing.

I do agree that the system could be better. I would even go as far as suggesting an option where the left mouse button can only be used for attacking while shift is held. Many times I have wanted to run away, only to have my character keep hitting a mob.

While you do have a point, I think you're blowing the problem out of proportion by claiming it would be a reason to quit. It is definitely not helping your case. Mostly because a lot of people do seem to be able to adapt to the system.

My point being, if you want support, rephrase the problem such that other people can sympathize with you ;)
Fluidity of combat animations definitely needs a ton of work. I have no idea what GGG's priorities are but wherever combat is on that list, it needs to be moved up. This is an incredible game with so much depth regarding items, builds and end game content (the upcoming maps concept is brilliant) but the clunky combat makes it dreadful to play over longer period of times.

As several people have already stated, and I can stress that enough, whatever it takes GGG, this needs your utmost attention.
"
Mizak wrote:
Little update. I have found a GGG response that gives a subtle update about this issue.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/36467/highlight/

I have to say though, the only 2 GGG replies I have found regarding this issue are from August of 2011 and now recently. I just wish GGG would give a bit more insight into this.

This is a deal breaker for me GGG and I know I'm not alone as this thread (and others) have proved.

You guys have a good game, and this is a big step towards making it great. I implore you to not make the mistake of thinking this will not keep a large portion of people from playing your game.

I have said it before (as have others). This is the kind of combat issue that will cause gamers of my type to play for a few hours and decide to not stay because the combat isn't fluid enough. My hunch is that a majority of these gamers will not post feedback, they simply will just not keep playing.

Oh nice. I've missed that one.

for those that don't bother looking it up there is a post from Rory of GGG in that thread
"
Rory wrote:
We're going to be improving this system shortly, have been talking with others about it. Sadly, rebinding it is a bit further away, but hopefully this is a start.

^posted on on juni 2012 05.08

I suspected that it was in the works but not really a priority. This points more to that.

I just hope they fix it before OB.

"
renatobaal wrote:
I do agree that the system could be better. I would even go as far as suggesting an option where the left mouse button can only be used for attacking while shift is held. Many times I have wanted to run away, only to have my character keep hitting a mob.

While you do have a point, I think you're blowing the problem out of proportion by claiming it would be a reason to quit. It is definitely not helping your case. Mostly because a lot of people do seem to be able to adapt to the system.

My point being, if you want support, rephrase the problem such that other people can sympathize with you ;)

"adapt to the system" is just borderline trollin. This system as it is today is clearly broken. Which can be demonstrated within a minute or so. I'm talking about how you can trick the game to think you press shift until you do a full release of buttons and so on.

Anyways.

This is a big issue for a group of players that like skillbased arpg playstyle. Where you push yourself constantly to keep playing against as hard mobs as possible. You know the "hardcore gamers" so to speak. The ones that tend to actually play a lot of hours in the game they choose.(non-casual gamer not HC-mode)
When you can't use directional attacks fluidly before you learn all the counter-intuitive stuff and "bugs" with it and might just end up getting killed in the cheesiest way because of it. That's when they stop playing.

Also consider that while these players that are non-casual gamers might not be vocal on this forum they certainly are so within their own group of players.
Getting the effect of "yeah I tried it, combat sucked balls" and less people trying it out for themselves.

Sure you might object that this is a minor percent of the players but do consider that if PoE ever will be a big success it will be a playerdriven one. GGG has nowhere near the resources to compete with the big boys when it comes to advertising and building hype.

So, sure the phrasing might seem harsh and demanding from us that view the problem in the manner I try to explain. But all we really want is to give GGG the best possible start when going OB and beyond.

To 15hatch14pool

Plz do not drag in animation into this thread. That is a separate issue and have been pretty well addressed in this thread...
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/35035

EDITED for clarification about what a hardcore gamer is ;)
Last edited by Dalkordigo on Jul 3, 2012, 3:42:07 PM
"
Jokey665 wrote:
I didnt even realize shift attacking was in this game until I had about 10 hours in because of this. I'd also like to be able to rebind it to spacebar, I didn't see it in the list of keys you can rebind.

This +1, along with the OP's suggestion, it does make the combat feel more fluid being able to hold click, then hit shift to attack.
"Keep one thing in mind for me."
"What have you become when even nightmares fear you?"
I can totally understand why someone would quit playing if his HC deaths are not of his own fault most of the time, but there is no previous explicit mention of HC in this thread, so you'll have to forgive me for misunderstanding the demographic you are trying to represent.

I have no experience playing HC and certainly won't be able to tell you what you'll benefit from, but you should realize as well that between non-HCers "It is possible to adapt" is a legitimate argument for lowering the priority for fixing the issues; Non-HCers can die all they want and in the process learn (even if by means of conditioning) what key combinations work and what combinations are just plain dangerous to execute.
With the minor setbacks we experience at lower difficulties/levels, dying is a minor annoyance at best. Even at higher levels, the amount of deaths that result from the issues with the system is hardly enough to give up on the game.

By the way, if you're interested to know, I use the right mouse button for my primary attack. I use the left mouse button only for attacks that are usually less time-critical.
For example, my ranged character uses poison arrow for the left mouse button that I use only in specific situations. For melee I used single target damage skill that is hardly ever used outside of hitting a boss mob.
Noteworthy perhaps is that I have also played a character that intentionally had an unusable skill in the left mouse button slot. This was to prevent my character from attacking when I wanted to run instead after using my main attack in the right mouse button slot. I'd say that's an argument for your cause ;)

lol.. I never even thought of holding click then pressing shift. I might've had the problem but didnt notice.. what I do remember though is when I was practicing for a ladder race I found out that I was having a problem using the shift hold position the way I wanted to. I guess thats what the problem was at the time.

Anyway yeah.. +1 to adding that.
General Racing Guide for Act 1
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/366585

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info