Shift attack should be a priority.

"
renatobaal wrote:
I can totally understand why someone would quit playing if his HC deaths are not of his own fault most of the time, but there is no previous explicit mention of HC in this thread, so you'll have to forgive me for misunderstanding the demographic you are trying to represent.

I have no experience playing HC and certainly won't be able to tell you what you'll benefit from, but you should realize as well that between non-HCers "It is possible to adapt" is a legitimate argument for lowering the priority for fixing the issues; Non-HCers can die all they want and in the process learn (even if by means of conditioning) what key combinations work and what combinations are just plain dangerous to execute.
With the minor setbacks we experience at lower difficulties/levels, dying is a minor annoyance at best. Even at higher levels, the amount of deaths that result from the issues with the system is hardly enough to give up on the game.

By the way, if you're interested to know, I use the right mouse button for my primary attack. I use the left mouse button only for attacks that are usually less time-critical.
For example, my ranged character uses poison arrow for the left mouse button that I use only in specific situations. For melee I used single target damage skill that is hardly ever used outside of hitting a boss mob.
Noteworthy perhaps is that I have also played a character that intentionally had an unusable skill in the left mouse button slot. This was to prevent my character from attacking when I wanted to run instead after using my main attack in the right mouse button slot. I'd say that's an argument for your cause ;)

I was talking about hardcoregamers not specificly those that play arpg's in hardcoremode.
Or to phrase it differently, non-casual player

and...
"Non-HCers can die all they want and in the process learn (even if by means of conditioning) what key combinations work and what combinations are just plain dangerous to execute."

That's kinda the problem. As shift works now it's pretty useless for more intense highskill gameplay. You gotta miss any target. You gotta release shift well before reclick mouse1 to move. You do not stop on shift before you start the attack (you basically do in any other arpg).
and so on and so forth.
The hardc... Non-casual gamer (:P) will not stick around learning a flawed system. You should not have to "learn to live with" behaviour that's inconsistent and in some case detrimental to your progress.

If it where the only game around sure, but it's not. Using shift in TL2 is a delight and smooth as it can be.
You basically have full control with it and can aim any attack the way you want it.
In PoE you can't.
"
renatobaal wrote:
I do agree that the system could be better. I would even go as far as suggesting an option where the left mouse button can only be used for attacking while shift is held. Many times I have wanted to run away, only to have my character keep hitting a mob.

While you do have a point, I think you're blowing the problem out of proportion by claiming it would be a reason to quit. It is definitely not helping your case. Mostly because a lot of people do seem to be able to adapt to the system.

My point being, if you want support, rephrase the problem such that other people can sympathize with you ;)

It is the reason I will fade away from playing. In no way was I threatening to stop playing because of it because no threat is needed. It is a fact, for me.

Look, the game is great. There are so many positives and so many things I like about it but this thread isn't about that. Everything in games like these comes back to combat, as in that is what you will be spending the bulk of your time doing. Why not make it as good as it should be?

You say adapt? Of course I already have, and I don't enjoy it because the fluidity isn't there.

Let me just throw this at ya. Say you're playing a fps and instead of having to simply hit R to reload, you had to stop moving, hold shift, click on your gun then hit R.
Does it work that way? Sure it does. Is it better to just have to tap R? You betcha!

That's what I'm talking about here. It is broken in it's current form and it makes me not want to play, and I so badly want to want to play this great game.
Went away for a week, giving this a refresh.
While I encountered problems with how shift-attack works (character keeps attacking if SHIFT is depressed, but mouse button is not) and I understand what you are suggesting in this thread, I can't really relate... I've played a couple ARPGs in my life and never have I played the way you describe.

It can't be THAT game-breaking if I enjoy both this and other ARPGs I played...
http://www.last.fm/user/LinchpinPL

http://is.gd/zNxxJg Lynchpin, Firestorm Templar, lvl 74

Current char: http://is.gd/Q9HfTo Deflector, ES/EVA/BLOCK/ELEM Shadow, lvl 65
"
Linchpin wrote:
While I encountered problems with how shift-attack works (character keeps attacking if SHIFT is depressed, but mouse button is not) and I understand what you are suggesting in this thread, I can't really relate... I've played a couple ARPGs in my life and never have I played the way you describe.

It can't be THAT game-breaking if I enjoy both this and other ARPGs I played...

Understood. It's tough to give a prefect explanation without visual queues. Perhaps I should make a fraps to highlight (I may well do this if this thread stays alive).

Here goes my attempt to describe a scenario of the way I play for you.

I engage in combat as melee and get more mob/elites than I can face tank. In this scenario (with the combat I desire) I hold down left-click and head north with the mobs pursuing from the south. While never releasing left-click, I can snap my mouse past center to the south, tap shift, and snap back to the north in one extremely quick motion.

This allowed me to never lose my north facing momentum while very, very quickly turning south to hit the mobs chasing me.

As far as game breaking; It is for me, I am envious that it doesn't bother you in this way.
Oh, so you mean like stutter-step micro in SC2 for example?
I believe that 0.9.11 contains some changes to the shift-attack functionality that may do what you want (but I'll need to check when in the office tomorrow to see whether it did fix that).
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
edit: nevermind
IGN: Hobbit | twitch.tv/sfhobbit | Filter: poeurl.com/xZL
Last edited by StupidFatHobbit on Jul 7, 2012, 8:51:38 PM
Edit: Post became irrelevant
Last edited by renatobaal on Jul 7, 2012, 8:56:37 PM
"
renatobaal wrote:
You misunderstand what the discussion in this thread was about. Nobody thought the system was perfectly fine; we have all experienced issues to some extent. We simply disagree(d) on the impact of the issues (and the way the problem statement was formulated).

Furthermore, I think that the disagreements in this thread only increased the overall quality of the arguments used and the clarification of the point of view of the OP. In this light, I am confused why you would ask anyone to stop posting.

Wasn't asking that, was just saying that those who are telling people to "adapt" and that it was working fine should be questioning why they are playing a beta, which is a time meant for refining games.

Removed the post though, because that's not what I meant.
IGN: Hobbit | twitch.tv/sfhobbit | Filter: poeurl.com/xZL

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info