What is Allocating Space at the install ?

How is this actually still a thing...

I just reloaded my spare bedroom computer and am getting things setup so when friends are over they have a game rig locked and loaded.

This allocating space bullshit is ridiculous. The excuses I'm seeing would at least be bearable if this was even semi-typical behavior of modern application installations, but it's not. Based on the experience of installing hundreds, if not thousands, of other large applications and video games; if this step "must" to be done, then I'm sorry, but you did it wrong GGG.

The game runs no smoother or faster as a result of this obnoxiously time consuming step, so why burden us with it? If I'm so much of an asshole that I try to install a 6 GB game on disk with less than 6 GB of free space, then I deserve any problems that may ensue. I'm also the same guy you saw pissed off on the side of the interstate with 2 king sized mattresses, box springs, a dining room table, and chairs strapped to the top of their 1970 Volkswagen Beetle salvaging what flew off their tetris-like masterpiece by an obvious act of God.

Please put an end to this insanity.

Also, remember to have your cats spayed or neutered.

- Bob
"
The game runs no smoother or faster as a result of this obnoxiously time consuming step, so why burden us with it? If I'm so much of an asshole that I try to install a 6 GB game on disk with less than 6 GB of free space, then I deserve any problems that may ensue.

TRUE

"
This allocating space bullshit is ridiculous. The excuses I'm seeing would at least be bearable if this was even semi-typical behavior of modern application installations, but it's not.

lol....true

"
I'm also the same guy you saw pissed off on the side of the interstate with 2 king sized mattresses, box springs, a dining room table, and chairs strapped to the top of their 1970 Volkswagen Beetle salvaging what flew off their tetris-like masterpiece by an obvious act of God.

lol

"
Please put an end to this insanity.
Also, remember to have your cats spayed or neutered.
- Bob

lol
Last edited by rtdean on Feb 14, 2016, 11:56:30 AM
Yesterday I installed PoE in an old computer (no SSD, average graphic card, average internet connection in Spain).

The first tries the install program got frozen in the allocating space phase. The ggpk file wasn't growing at all.

At the third try, it took EIGHT HOURS to install the game. The "allocating space" phase took about five-six hours of that time (I wasn't watching all the time, of course).

Please, redesign this phase because I bet that you are losing thousands of players with no patience for it.

A simple torrent to download the main installation file, downloading of your site only the needed patches, would be far more efficient in terms of speed and needed space.

You can do it optional if you want, let's see which method is more used. ;-)

Best regards.
"
dm_pindu wrote:
Yesterday I installed PoE in an old computer (no SSD, average graphic card, average internet connection in Spain).

The first tries the install program got frozen in the allocating space phase. The ggpk file wasn't growing at all.

At the third try, it took EIGHT HOURS to install the game. The "allocating space" phase took about five-six hours of that time (I wasn't watching all the time, of course).

Please, redesign this phase because I bet that you are losing thousands of players with no patience for it.

A simple torrent to download the main installation file, downloading of your site only the needed patches, would be far more efficient in terms of speed and needed space.

You can do it optional if you want, let's see which method is more used. ;-)

Best regards.
inb4 mr.D. running into the topic on the white horse and telling you all about difficulties of patching the game through internet, about how to check one hash-list vs another hash-list is a very hard and time-consuming task, and all other funny things that don't make a sense at all but - at least I give him that - may sound convincing to people who don't understand anything about all that technical details. Oh, and also don't even try talking about torrents because they are SO SO SO MUCH different from GGG's patching method you don't even want to start that, believe me. Because you can't compare something that is so different. You know, because if you do then you are automatically wrong just by making such a comparison :)
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
-reads this 5 months later- -sees all the complaints about allocated space time-
only took me 30 mins before it started downloading, dunno wtf yall's problem was LOL
as far as computer specs go, 3.4ghz intel 6 core, 970 gtx HHD not SSD
fun fact, i dont care much about challenges. i just play to play.
__
Rip melee Dec 2018
Last edited by alienfreak10 on Aug 24, 2016, 1:09:57 AM
"
alienfreak10 wrote:
-reads this 5 months later- -sees all the complaints about allocated space time-
only took me 30 mins before it started downloading, dunno wtf yall's problem was LOL
as far as computer specs go, 3.4ghz intel 6 core, 970 gtx HHD not SSD

it's people having no clue about disk fragmentation or just wanting to piss off drakier who lost interest due to these people.

nice job, they got what they wanted and still don't have a clue.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Surprisingly it took about 45 minutes to allocate space on a drive that has 0% fragmentation and 370GB of HDD space on the drive.

I walked away to dinner and when I came back about 40 min later it just switched to downloading. I was about to give up on it seeing that it was still "allocating space" when I got back from dinner.

Now it's time to watch it download at a measly 1.75MB when my internet is capable of 7.00MB/sec

Oh well, there's always tomorrow to play.
Last edited by CityBuilder on Sep 3, 2016, 1:56:06 AM
a) Comes home from a tiring day at work, and double clicks the icon to start the game, "Checking resources" followed by "Your pack file is corrupted blah blah blah download it again".
b) Deletes the game and downloaded the installer again, watch it spend 2 hours allocating space on a decent gaming machine with TB's of spare space.
c) Checks the year, 2016, this shit (both allocating space bullshit and content.ggpk corrupting itself in regular intervals - AND yes a lot of friends have reported the same happening to them) is still as strong as it was back in CLOSED and OPEN Beta.

Contiguous space my ass. Make more shiny hats please, who cares about the stability.
I'm posting to say one thing and one thing only: I've had enough of this stupid shit.

"Allocating space"? Are you fucking kidding me? Who's the genius who thought that having a single gigantic file that needs checking every time was a smart idea? Oh, and checking resources/allocating space and even fucking downloading are all, for some arcane reason, extremely I/O intensive, so while this dumbfuckery made code is running the machine is a pain to use for anything else. And downloading is slow as tar, to boot. This is Darwin-award-level stupid. Where the hell did you learn to code and design software? At the Mouseville University for Dogs?

To whoever is responsible for this: for the love of God, quit programming and get a job you can do properly. If you can find one, because I wouldn't hire you to lick stamps in a post office.
"
Zahlruebe wrote:
I'm posting to say one thing and one thing only: I've had enough of this stupid shit.

"Allocating space"? Are you fucking kidding me? Who's the genius who thought that having a single gigantic file that needs checking every time was a smart idea? Oh, and checking resources/allocating space and even fucking downloading are all, for some arcane reason, extremely I/O intensive, so while this dumbfuckery made code is running the machine is a pain to use for anything else. And downloading is slow as tar, to boot. This is Darwin-award-level stupid. Where the hell did you learn to code and design software? At the Mouseville University for Dogs?

To whoever is responsible for this: for the love of God, quit programming and get a job you can do properly. If you can find one, because I wouldn't hire you to lick stamps in a post office.

This is an old, old thread, more than 4 years old.

Programmers add messages to each step, but each step could actually be doing multiple tasks, and the message doesn't change until it's done with that step. So it doesn't mean it's actually doing what it says if it's hung on that message. But instead you fail to understand that and just want to moan and complain over something completely meaningless.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info