My thoughts after Level 25, 20 hours played

Great post.

Aside from these two points...
"
turtledog wrote:
-No player economy
(Cant trade, barter system could work, but no support for it now)

wat?

"
turtledog wrote:
-Inventory too small
(Just now I quit playing because its not fun to pick up 5-6 items and be full, just creates more work, makes items/farming not worth it at lower levels)

Don't pick up things you don't need/use.

... the rest is rock-solid.
"
pneuma wrote:
Great post.

Aside from these two points...
"
turtledog wrote:
-No player economy
(Cant trade, barter system could work, but no support for it now)

wat?

"
turtledog wrote:
-Inventory too small
(Just now I quit playing because its not fun to pick up 5-6 items and be full, just creates more work, makes items/farming not worth it at lower levels)

Don't pick up things you don't need/use.

... the rest is rock-solid.

The inventory issue is tricky to balance, but as I have played more and more, I've learned that 99% of what drops is not worth picking up in any way, which has all but gotten rid of that issue for me.

The player economy is absolutely true though, you cannot trade with a player directly, but the dev's have stated they are working on that, so it's also a non-issue.
"
turtledog wrote:
The inventory issue is tricky to balance, but as I have played more and more, I've learned that 99% of what drops is not worth picking up in any way, which has all but gotten rid of that issue for me.

Exactly, but ever since vendor-selling was added, it's been an uphill battle to get people to stop dicking around with their pocket lint and spending more time killing stuff.
Not really sure how to best train out the mechanical "pick up loot" reflex.

"
turtledog wrote:
The player economy is absolutely true though, you cannot trade with a player directly, but the dev's have stated they are working on that, so it's also a non-issue.

I've drop traded at least 100gcp by now (which is fairly low for the amount of hours I have in the game) and have never been ripped off nor misunderstood.
p2p trading is absolutely a priority for OB and beyond. Hopefully we'll see it in the next patch, but while we're still in CB, it doesn't really bother me in the least (and the economy is perfectly fine/fluid for the ~hundreds we have playing).
You guys must watch this hehe...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU

Awesome vid.
No food in fridge... Beer it is.
"
turtledog wrote:
"
TealNinje wrote:
We're not arguing whether my self restriction is a good idea. I'm saying that I've put myself into a weaker position than pretty much anyone else, and I still don't agree with what you're saying. I should be in the position that agrees with you the most, and yet I don't. That is what I was getting at. Don't start reaching for things that are absolutely meaningless.

I still don't see how your own personal choices involving the game affect anyone else who plays it... So because you chose to make it more difficult on yourself, we should expect you to agree if someone says the game needs a shorter learning curve as far as skills, orbs and item upgrading goes? That defies logic. You even refuse to help yourself in the game, so why would you want the game to help you?

I just hit 30 last night and after learning the whole orb/recipe/scroll/item/skill/passive system, I like it, but I just wish I was introduced to it at level 5, not level 25, because the game is 10x more fun when you know what you are doing to some extent.

It took me to level a witch up to level 38, act 2 cruel, dying in weaver's nest endlessly to notice I had fucked up and that I knew I made the wronge choices with the gems and gear I picked.

Although It took a lot of time to reach that point, I was damn satisfied that I discovered by myself every single aspect of the game (except posting items links in global chat). I felt in love immediately with the game and rolled a Marauder that is currently level 48 and facerolling act 2 ruthless.

I agree with OP that there should be some kind of in-game help for newcomers, but in all honestly there's more than enough tooltips for every single thing in the game that with a little bit of common sense an average joe can figure everything out by themselves, even if it cost's a whole first character wasted.

My 2 cents.
Last edited by IronSteel on Jul 6, 2012, 3:11:01 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info