My thoughts after Level 25, 20 hours played

I've only played about 10 hours so far so I'm obviously not a veteran.

However, I DID play games like Diablo2 to rediculous extents back in the day and always loved the complexity of character building and itemization.

While there are several things about this game (from, in my opinion, a polish standpoint) that could use some work, the fundamental structure of the game is pure genius IMO.

The passive web while immediately intimidating as it is impressive, really ended up making sense to me without any help from a calculator or build threads online. I knew what I wanted to just scoured the passive keystones and made my own build and path.

This is the main reason I upgraded from just supporter to silver, and will probably end up going gold down the road.
"
turtledog wrote:
The goal shouldn't be to see this games potential after 20+ hours of play, it should be to see that potential and realize it from the get-go.

I saw the potential from the get-go, and I'm a fundamental NO TWINKING player. I will never use items from one character to the next. So that put's me in the most vulnerable position out of any player (according to the players in this thread, at least). How do I feel about the game? Inspired.
"
TealNinje wrote:
"
turtledog wrote:
The goal shouldn't be to see this games potential after 20+ hours of play, it should be to see that potential and realize it from the get-go.

I saw the potential from the get-go, and I'm a fundamental NO TWINKING player. I will never use items from one character to the next. So that put's me in the most vulnerable position out of any player (according to the players in this thread, at least). How do I feel about the game? Inspired.

Refusing to use items from one character to the next is not fundamental, it's a restriction you have placed on yourself that almost nobody who plays this game will do. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be forced to reroll to get exactly what you want out of a character, but to be stuck at level 30,40,50 with something that is unplayable or not fun is also not a good idea.
Spoiler
"
turtledog wrote:
"
TealNinje wrote:
"
turtledog wrote:

Refusing to use items from one character to the next is not fundamental, it's a restriction you have placed on yourself that almost nobody who plays this game will do. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be forced to reroll to get exactly what you want out of a character, but to be stuck at level 30,40,50 with something that is unplayable or not fun is also not a good idea.

If you made the choices to end up with that poorly built character at 30/40/50, so be it.

All the information is available here on the forums, which you have to sign up for in order to purchase or win a beta key.
We get a PM telling us to use the forums when we get a beta key.
There is a skill tree you can mock up to max level.
There are forums dedicated to each class.
There are hundreds of knowledgeable, helpful players.

As I said earlier, there should and will be more in-game helping new players orient themselves. But by the levels you are talking about, a player should have made some effort on their own end. Player choice and freedom is what this game is all about. Self-responsibility, shouldering the burden of knowledge, these things are a byproduct of such freedom.

If the game spelled out everything for you every step of the way, it would be exhausting and remove the sense of fun gained from discovering new things for yourself. Since it can't explain everything, naturally, there are things the player needs to figure out or interact with the community to learn for themselves.

If they choose not to RTFM, it's not the developer's fault.
Last edited by King_Nikita on Jun 30, 2012, 4:22:53 AM
"
Deafjester wrote:
I agree to your points mostly.
But I also disagree with the inventory being too small. Should be a decision on what to pick up.
With the stash however...

One point in particular, there's no good thing to do with all the rares. I need to find alot so I can sell two with the same name, to do that I need a large inventory and time to sort.
I'm just at 12 slot stash. So it's becoming a challenge to find those doublettes.
With a larger stash, the task lightens up, but it's still going to be pretty heavy.
I can sell sets of items and get chaos orbs which are even better than alchemys, but thats an expensive trade.

At this point I'd say increase the initial stash size. It's mandatory with a larger size than 4 tabs to have even a basic collection. That's not being true to F2P and closer to P2W.

I just wanna whack some mobs, not sort and evaluate gear until my head explodes.

It's pretty easy to just have an alt stand in an open instance, and then you drop all rares in there, at the waypoint.

It never closes, so you can spend 2-3 minutes of your last session, muling it into town. Then you run the chrome script and reap the benefits of any triggered recipes.

As the game is F2P, you can have an entire account. 26 characters; only to mule. That is 104 stash tabs. So if you pay for extra stash tabs, all you buy youself is some very small amount of convenience.
"That's how you die properly, Sailor Boy.."
Last edited by jawsofhana on Jun 30, 2012, 3:37:42 AM
Gonna say this once, this game aint for source players with ADD. MR COMPLICATED UI.
"
turtledog wrote:
"
TealNinje wrote:
"
turtledog wrote:

We're not arguing whether my self restriction is a good idea. I'm saying that I've put myself into a weaker position than pretty much anyone else, and I still don't agree with what you're saying. I should be in the position that agrees with you the most, and yet I don't. That is what I was getting at. Don't start reaching for things that are absolutely meaningless.
"
TealNinje wrote:
We're not arguing whether my self restriction is a good idea. I'm saying that I've put myself into a weaker position than pretty much anyone else, and I still don't agree with what you're saying. I should be in the position that agrees with you the most, and yet I don't. That is what I was getting at. Don't start reaching for things that are absolutely meaningless.

I still don't see how your own personal choices involving the game affect anyone else who plays it... So because you chose to make it more difficult on yourself, we should expect you to agree if someone says the game needs a shorter learning curve as far as skills, orbs and item upgrading goes? That defies logic. You even refuse to help yourself in the game, so why would you want the game to help you?

I just hit 30 last night and after learning the whole orb/recipe/scroll/item/skill/passive system, I like it, but I just wish I was introduced to it at level 5, not level 25, because the game is 10x more fun when you know what you are doing to some extent.
"
miwtw2003 wrote:
Gonna say this once, this game aint for source players with ADD. MR COMPLICATED UI.

Lol, it's funny because I really do have ADD. What do source, ADD, and a complicated UI have to do with eachother?
Perhaps you'd benefit from reading the beta manifesto? Namely the part entitled "Tutorial"? Though I highly recommend reading the whole thing.
Last edited by teacherpeter on Jun 30, 2012, 12:40:12 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info