0.10.8 Information and Race Updates

"
Moosifer wrote:
Cannot wait for all the complaints about the new area levels. The same people who gave a +1 or quick "ya sounds good" are going to be the ones losing their minds on the forums because act 3 merci will be hell to get through. Just imagine while leveling you jumped into an easy mod lvl 66 maps middle of act 3 when you clearly aren't ready to handle mapping. You will be stuck grinding act 2, then city of sarn, then getting frustrated at docks, then in lunaris then once you have enough lvl 68 maps (as all that grinding will give you alot of 66s and you'll be close or over 80 so what's the point of starting at 66 maps, vendor them up and take RNG out of it) you'll finally reach the end game, where you can grind for gear to do lvl 77 maps (ofc you have to find them first).

It's grinding so you can grind. Not even being most effective either, just to allow yourself to progress. This is one of the reasons D3 was so frustrating, you farmed act 1 inferno to allow yourself to farm act 2 inferno, to allow yourself to farm act 3 inferno then you hoped to get gear 1% better to speed up your clear speed in the slightest. All of this knowing that 50m upgrade you just bought will only be significantly improved by a 2b gold upgrade.

I'm begging you, don't do it. I was so happy you did away with it in alpha, please don't bring it back.

quote for truth.
They say I'm an astronaut that laughs a lot.
"
Formount wrote:
"
e7ang wrote:
"
Formount wrote:
How are you planning to give people a reason to farm maps over just farming catacombs and lunaris? (which will no longer have a drop penalty and will drop all currently released uniques) Who in their right mind would farm maps (which get expensive to maintain) when farming these two zones would give higher levels access to a low level easy-to-clear zone that has zero drop penalty and zero investment cost?
Who cares as long as we don't have to do maps. Now you just do what you enjoy instead of being forced into one or the other.

It's not really a choice... if it is more efficient to farm normal zones which cost you nothing to run, why would you pay anything to run less efficient zones? Currently: Maps = Investment required, better reward while Normal instances = No investment, penalty to reward. Also why implement a drop penalty for farming low level zones as a core mechanic of the game at all if a level 94 character can farm a zero investment level 68 zone without being penalized?

If I am not mistaken, the purpose of having a drop penalty throughout the game is so that Higher leveled characters are forced to farm zones that are appropriately leveled to farm at max efficiency. Maps were excluded from this concept because of the investment required in order to be able to run maps, which makes up for not having a penalty to drops.

Problem is, you don't get to level 94 within a reasonable amount of time running just lv68 areas. You MUST run maps or the people who do that will outlevel you very quickly. And for most builds these 10-15 or so skillpoints difference between a level 80-ish player running Lunaris ad nauseam and someone running high-level maps can mean a huge difference. So for anybody wanting to compete in the ladder or even just seeing a noticable progress, high-level maps are still compulsary. All these changes really do in this regard is taking some early pressure currency-wise from people with limited resources.

As for high-end uniques being able to drop in non-map areas, I really don't see that as such a terrible problem. Afaik most Kaom's etc. didn't come from drops but from being chanced. I bet chances are you can do hundreds upon hundreds of Piety runs in a full group with high IIQ and IIR and still see no Kaom's drop. After all, she still has to drop a Glorious Plate in the first place.

There's also been the point of low-level maps being devalued by these changes. So what? After the novelty of running maps wears off, low-level maps are just there to build up a stock of higher-level maps. Running a map and seeing a level 66-68 map drop didn't really make anyone euphoric.
Some said people will now level to ~lv80 in lv68 areas and then start doing their lv66 maps, the whole thing being awkward and anticlimatic. Thing is, they won't. They will do whatever seems more fun. Some catacombs here, some Piety runs there and inbetween the lv66 maps, trying to build up a stock of higher-level maps.
This kind of flexibility sounds much better to me than the almost obligatory docks -> map runs once you finish act 3 mercyless.
paysafe woot!
moneys incomnig
I'm that Morty guy.
"
Jojas wrote:

Problem is, you don't get to level 94 within a reasonable amount of time running just lv68 areas. You MUST run maps or the people who do that will outlevel you very quickly. And for most builds these 10-15 or so skillpoints difference between a level 80-ish player running Lunaris ad nauseam and someone running high-level maps can mean a huge difference. So for anybody wanting to compete in the ladder or even just seeing a noticable progress, high-level maps are still compulsary. All these changes really do in this regard is taking some early pressure currency-wise from people with limited resources.

As for high-end uniques being able to drop in non-map areas, I really don't see that as such a terrible problem. Afaik most Kaom's etc. didn't come from drops but from being chanced. I bet chances are you can do hundreds upon hundreds of Piety runs in a full group with high IIQ and IIR and still see no Kaom's drop. After all, she still has to drop a Glorious Plate in the first place.

There's also been the point of low-level maps being devalued by these changes. So what? After the novelty of running maps wears off, low-level maps are just there to build up a stock of higher-level maps. Running a map and seeing a level 66-68 map drop didn't really make anyone euphoric.
Some said people will now level to ~lv80 in lv68 areas and then start doing their lv66 maps, the whole thing being awkward and anticlimatic. Thing is, they won't. They will do whatever seems more fun. Some catacombs here, some Piety runs there and inbetween the lv66 maps, trying to build up a stock of higher-level maps.
This kind of flexibility sounds much better to me than the almost obligatory docks -> map runs once you finish act 3 mercyless.

Quoted for Truth.
IGN: Iworkeout
Last edited by cutt on Apr 30, 2013, 4:46:11 AM
I really don't like the idea low level maps will serve only as a higher level map source. They're being totally devalued in regards to both levelling and farming. I guess devs really need to get their act together on general purpose of the maps, are they an alternate levelling ground with a little better drops that is available to anyone, or an elite content meant to raise the level bar further and accesible only by most dedicated of players, kinda hard to have the cake and eat it too.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
What do you mean with "Maps - Rewards will be revisited. ? Those rewards stand for .. ?
"The exodus of humanity in search of a new home? It is like spreading a virus in the healthy space."
Looking forward to when the rebalanced split arrow
"There's a legend on the internet that if you stay a virgin until your 30, you become a wizard."
"The right man in the wrong place can make all difference in the world"
"
Moosifer wrote:
Cannot wait for all the complaints about the new area levels. The same people who gave a +1 or quick "ya sounds good" are going to be the ones losing their minds on the forums because act 3 merci will be hell to get through. Just imagine while leveling you jumped into an easy mod lvl 66 maps middle of act 3 when you clearly aren't ready to handle mapping. You will be stuck grinding act 2, then city of sarn, then getting frustrated at docks, then in lunaris then once you have enough lvl 68 maps (as all that grinding will give you alot of 66s and you'll be close or over 80 so what's the point of starting at 66 maps, vendor them up and take RNG out of it) you'll finally reach the end game, where you can grind for gear to do lvl 77 maps (ofc you have to find them first).

It's grinding so you can grind. Not even being most effective either, just to allow yourself to progress. This is one of the reasons D3 was so frustrating, you farmed act 1 inferno to allow yourself to farm act 2 inferno, to allow yourself to farm act 3 inferno then you hoped to get gear 1% better to speed up your clear speed in the slightest. All of this knowing that 50m upgrade you just bought will only be significantly improved by a 2b gold upgrade.

I'm begging you, don't do it. I was so happy you did away with it in alpha, please don't bring it back.

Why would anyone complain? It's simply giving you more options to grind, after all ARPGS are about grinding. Now we have more content to grind not less. All positive.

Not like act 3 was difficult to begin with. I was farming docks at like level 59, and really had no clue what I was doing. Now instead you just wait until 61, which is what like an hour difference.

I don't understand all the QQ over the change. Just giving us more options on where to farm.
Some people play the game, others make it a lifestyle.

I play the game, I don't have time to grind 24/7 to obtain uber gear and farm maps nor I have the currency to invest in maps since I'm spending it to obtain that better equipment. These changes finally give me the possibility to run safer zones without the drop penalty and I really appreciate it. At the moment I'm basically stuck: can't farm higher level maps because I die but it's pointless to grind docks or other areas since I don't get currency or exp (still need 11 points to finish my build, lvl 75 atm). The fact is that now everyone can obtain currency and good drops even outside maps, but maps remain THE endgame option for those hardcore nolife players and even for those like me once they have the gear and lvl needed.

Finally some nice changes! Thanks GGG!

PS: the skill balance sound awesome! I hope you change the actual situation of builds: LA [put random class here].
In game name - VomitingRainbows - GMT +1
Last edited by kendoka on Apr 30, 2013, 5:05:13 AM
still w8ting for some desync anc and performance improvements, until that im done with poe sadly :(

the game is awsome and all but whats the use of that if i cant even play a high lvl char in hardcore
( not to mention in a party )
-_-
Last edited by Gieron on Apr 30, 2013, 5:14:07 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info