Ramdisk to remove load times completely!!

In linux, tmpfs is better to use than ramfs. You can set the size to let it use more than 50% of total ram, and you must also have the exec option set last when using the user option.

/etc/fstab
tmpfs /mnt/ramdisk tmpfs noauto,user,size=6G,exec 0 0

To save time, I use a script to mount, copy, and link the Content.ggpk to the ramdisk. It then runs the game, and afterwards compares the file modification time to the one it copied from disk, and if it's newer, it overwrites the the old version which is on disk.
Last edited by ionface on Oct 13, 2012, 1:08:55 AM
Can someone better explain the mklink command, i'm getting a file already exists error when i try to make a junction and after googling for hours i didn't find any reliable way of doing it.

Edit : Minutes after I posted this the correct way hit me. What isn't noted in the OP is that after copying your folder to the ramdisk, you have to rename the original folder and make a new /ggg/poe/ folder that's empty and only then can it act as a junction.
Last edited by Metlusia on Sep 12, 2012, 5:20:18 PM
Long Path Tool helped me in this situation. http://PathTooDeep.com
"
TJJ wrote:
"
anubite wrote:
Operating Systems cannot make use of more than 64 bit address spaces, meaning, even if you install 1000 gb on your computer, your OS will only manage 8 of it for programs and tasks, the other 992 gb of ram you bought is sitting around uselessly doing nothing. This is generally why people who have PCs with >8 gb are laughed at. You'd need a 8192 bit operating system to handle up to 1024 gb of ram, or 128bit to handle 16gb - neither of which exist. 4gb for 32 bit systems. It's the same with files - you'll be hard pressed to have a single file over 4gb on many file systems. It has to be broken up.

I'm not sure how ramdisk works, but I guess it could allocate tempdata in ram over 8gb? I have no idea and that was my question. I don't think it can, but that'd be my guess.

Your lack of understanding is disturbing.

32bit addressing -> 2^32 = 4294967296 = 4GiB = 4 Gibibytes (GigaBinaryByte)
64bit addressing -> 2^64 = 18446744073709551616 = 16EiB = 4 Exbibytes

Admittedly current generation hardware & operating systems do not allow the full 64bits of address space to be utilized as such; most are limited to 'just' 44bits (16TiB; Tebibyte).

It'll be a long time before machines have 16TiB of memory, and a long long LONG time before technology approaches the limitations of 64bit addressing.

Was about to post the same thing, glad I read a bit further through the thread.

I currently have 16GB on my laptop and there are times, due to compiling, I have the need to go much more. I am already eying 32Gb of ram for my laptop. 64-Bit OS can go waaaay beuong 8GB of RAM and make use of all of it. Heck two of my servers have 128GB of RAM.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
SSDs are nice, but when you are a data hoarder, the difference between 200 gigs and 2 terabytes for the same price is a hard thing to swallow. This alone makes ramdisks still useful and Im glad to see them coming back into style. There are even battery backed pci express based ram disks that can be bought at reasonable prices to reduce the chance of catastrophic data loss (Pro-tip if its important always have at least two copies).

Most large mechanical hard drives also have quite nice read/write speeds due to the data density on disk. For instance, my fairly old 1.5tb seagate consistently writes at about 100MB/sec and reads at about 120MB/sec using reiserfs, and the newer larger drives get even better speeds that I havnt bothered to benchmark yet.

However, these newer hybrid drives that are coming out are looking quite appealing.

Looking towards the future, memristors and racetrack memory are looking to supplant both ssds and mechanical hds.

TLDR: Ramdisks can signifigantly speed up not just games but just about any application that uses heavy disk IO. Worth looking into if you have ram to spare

HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Sep 20, 2012, 5:18:04 PM
Long path tool is really helpfull for this situation. You can try this tool. http://PathTooDeep.com
"
tramshed wrote:
SSDs are nice, but when you are a data hoarder, the difference between 200 gigs and 2 terabytes for the same price is a hard thing to swallow.

I switched to SSD (128GB) for the OS some time ago, and since I dont want to use the same 'disc' for huge apps (that write into their own dir a lot, like POE) I now think about moving all other stuff to another 128' and merge the partitions from the old SATA disc together as data storage only. This only works with desktops, of course...
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu

The real hogging is always the Internet/network.

Perm. Retired from this unforgiving land of the Exiles.
Self-impost EXILED.
"
starsg wrote:
The real hogging is always the Internet/network.

You should have a stable and somewhat good ping, but beside this, the amount of traffic is very low. On the other side, using a fast disc can speed up loading times a lot, and also minimize frame interruptions by other disc accesses.
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
Am I doing something wrong?

http://postimage.org/image/um6zqg7ef/full/

C is my SDD, G is my ramdisk drive.

I ran cmd as administrator and typed
mklink /j "C:\Program Files (x86)\Path of Exile" g:

after copying the content of my poe directory into g and renaming poe directory on my sdd. Am I missing something here? Why does it try to create files on my SDD? Why does it get path not found errors on my ramdisk?

I don't think it's loading areas any faster than it does when I run it normally from my SDD, although it may be slightly faster and its hard to tell.
My Marauder 3 hour race video guide - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/52146
XP rate for different areas - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/53056
Last edited by NotThat on Sep 30, 2012, 1:50:39 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info