Ramdisk to remove load times completely!!

"
I have a question.
Can you make a ramdisk for this game with only 8gb of ram, on vista 32-bit??

I don't think so, no.

"
Courageous wrote:
"
I have a question.
Can you make a ramdisk for this game with only 8gb of ram, on vista 32-bit??

I don't think so, no.

He is correct. Reason you can not is because the OS wont recognize that the remaining ram is even there thus you cant use it for anything.
"
anubite wrote:
If you have over 8 GB of memory you're a nut in the first place! No OS or program in existence can make use of that. Can you even use it to store loaded information with something like ramdisk? That'd be the only practical use for memory over 8 GB.

I think you are some years behind here, 8+ GB can be used fully by most current operating systems.
Nothing to see here.
I haven't read every page so i don't know if this has been said:

A ramdisk also has a disadvantage. The time you would have to wait to load the game will instead increase the boot time of your PC. It's not a huge disadvantage if you don't turn your computer off often but just wanted to say it.
I've been playing PoE on a RAM drive using SoftPerfect RAM Disk for months, it's really worth it. 8GB is the BARE minimum because you'll need a ~5.8GB RAM Drive and the game also use about 2GB so the game might even crash for not having enough memory.

So basically upgrade to either 12GB or 16GB of RAM to take advantage of fast load time while having enough for doing other stuff while PoE is running.

However, RAM price just got up by 30-50% so an SSD might be a better option at the moment.
Tech guy
I'm running 32gig ram, but have a ssd so my load times are next to nothing anyways. New Sager 9570 runs PoE real nice, but still hope they will allow sli compatibility. ( and also include xfi sound cards, i lost my last HC char when i went back to my desktop and blue screened in the first instance i zoned into to stack my auras :/ )
I just installed Softperfect ramdisk. Created a 7.6GB ramdisk, copied the entire PoE folder to the disk, and double clicked on the icon in the new folder.

Not sure why, but it didn't seem to be loading areas any faster than my Vertex 4 SSD. Judging by videos, other people have gotten PoE's areas to load much faster than me using this method (under 1 second) whereas my load times were still between 2 - 6 seconds.

Is there something else I should be doing as well?

2 x 8GB 1600Mhz dual channel, other system specs in sig.
Player since closed beta 2012. Full system specs: https://pastebin.com/c4rvbvSR
'Tongueslurp the Unspeakable' - skeleton archer in Fellshrine Merciless
"
anubite wrote:
If you have over 8 GB of memory you're a nut in the first place! No OS or program in existence can make use of that. Can you even use it to store loaded information with something like ramdisk? That'd be the only practical use for memory over 8 GB.

Except any sort of simulation, video editing, very very high res photo editing, 3D work, complex scenes in a game engine, geospatial stuff, etc etc. 16Gb is a minimum for those types of things, and for geospatial people often have 64Gb+.
I run a similar setup Zedd, However I will say the difference between Win8 and Win7 actually had some performance differences for me even with a ram disk.

I ran Win8 for maybe a month, hated it, went back to 7. Noted load times on my Vertex 4 were not only better; but my ramdisk was quite faster as well on Win7. I do see differences when running max/min graphics during loading as well. Also with the amount of people in an instance can have a major effect. I run quite a trimmed machine; so not much other than the game can effect the performance. There's so many different things that effect the load times that even with a ram disk some areas can take a few seconds to load while others simply blink the loading screen for a portion of a second if at all.

I'm not trying to dis Win8, but I did note a bit better use of system resources with Win7 and didn't feel like stripping Win8 of all of its ... graphical enhancements.

Either way, I do note a small increase in speed with the ramdisk over the vertex 4, and it keeps PoE off of my boot drive. I prefer dedicating the 8gb of ram for the game.

And to the guy who says there's nothing that utilizes over 8gb obviously never delved into virtual machines or high end photo/video rendering....

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info