POE > LE

Played over 50 hours of LE and came to the conclusion, POE is better in terms of gameplay.

However, I think GGG should learn a bit from their crafting system; it would be much better to show the available and locked affixes on an item, which would greatly help new players who are learning to craft in the game, since crafting is an important part of POE.
Last bumped on Mar 6, 2024, 10:31:03 AM
I think a game that mixes the two would be the best of both worlds, if I'm being honest. I don't love LE gameplay the way I love POE gameplay but I don't love POE crafting the way I love LE crafting. Hopefully POE2 fixes the over complications of POEs system. :)
"Bonus points if it is Scion/Witch because they have nice knees. Ranger has ugly knees and other characters are men so playing them would be homoerotic." - CAKE, 10/20/21
from the looks of it poe2 crafting works in a similar way to le where its all about killing monsters, finding decent rare items and then attempting to make them great. it doesnt lock you out via running out of crafting potential but if you keep clicking youll either brick what was good about the item or hit something amazing. if you brick it then you go again, next map, look for the next decent item.

more than anything i think its that connection between looting and crafting, and the way you have the materials and incentive to give it a try that makes le crafting so good.

ive not played le for a few years i dunno what state its in right now but when i played you almost always had fairly easy access to the materials you needed, items just the item itself would stop you after a little bit of crafting.

in poe you can find 1 white base item and then spend every orb you have accumulated for 5 years on the thing, and maybe hit something awesome or maybe end up with nothing but the white base item and a strong urge to uninstall the game. theres a danger in even attempting to craft something, if you dont hit something quick then youve lost money and it becomes a sunk cost trap where if you keep going and spend twice as much maybe you hit an item that is worth 10x what u spent... or maybe you lose everything if you keep going. its such a feels bad system in so many ways and you start from a base so its totally disconnected from mapping and looting gear, you get 1 base and then just forget about the game til you have bis item or you are broke and feel like qutting.

but le you find an item and it starts with looting cool gear, its not separate from it, and then you have nothing to lose right? the item might be great if uc raft it, or it might brick, but either way you just lose a small amount of materials that you can easily get back so you dont have this barrier telling people they are an idiot whos gonna lose the house if they try and craft. you have little to lose and potentially a lot to gain so youre really encouraged to try, and if it fails then the encouragement is to go loot some more gear and try again which feeds into a grinding loop. its not separate from it.

by all accounts poe2s crafting system seems to have this same spirit, its just gonna have a much deeper item system and range of crafting options to function with.

honestly when i played le i think almost everything else poe1 did significantly better. i dunno, maybe the skill trees for the skills is a cool thing, i dunno if the support gem system in the way its played out in poe1 where its just socket 5 damage multipliers has really worked. i feel like its kind of failed to be as interesting as it wanted to be. again we see a big change coming there in poe2 so honestly poe2 looks very promising.

its glad for le that theyre doing to well, ive played the game for over 100 hours in its beta phase, i bought 2 copies for me and a friend years ago, we played the game we enjoy it. im gonna play it again soon when its more stable and balanced. power to them.

but poe2 is probably gonna straight up kill every other arpg ever created. we got room for many arpgs in our lives but theres always the game you are married to and then the sidepieces. le and diablo are always gonna be sidepiece games, not because theyre bad but because the poe team are just too good at what they do.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
but poe2 is probably gonna straight up kill every other arpg ever created. we got room for many arpgs in our lives but theres always the game you are married to and then the sidepieces. le and diablo are always gonna be sidepiece games, not because theyre bad but because the poe team are just too good at what they do.

I am not sure about it. Low-demanding games usually have more interest.
PoE2 will have a smoother start, but it's PoE after all. In my humble opinion it will be even more difficult than PoE1. It won't take long before the casuals figure this out.
"End of March makes 3 months and 21 days which is almost 4 months and not 3 1/2, get your math right hoho."
Last edited by Dxt44 on Mar 2, 2024, 12:18:11 PM
"
Dxt44 wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

PoE2 will have a smoother start, but it's PoE after all. In my humble opinion it will be even more difficult than PoE1. It won't take long before the causals figure this out.

I'm personally worried that they're letting Ruthless inform POE2 more than I would like. It being a separate game really sucks as well, but that's a dead horse I won't kick again.
i feel like poe2 will mostly appeal to a very niche audience...like the people who enjoy current ruthless and enjoyed the ruthless with gold event
I just want the what-killed-you report
"
Imaginaerum wrote:
I just want the what-killed-you report

+1
I don't know how anyone can say the end game is better than PoE's I find that astonishing LE's end game is a fucking chore holy shit dude.

Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
Dxt44 wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

PoE2 will have a smoother start, but it's PoE after all. In my humble opinion it will be even more difficult than PoE1. It won't take long before the casuals figure this out.

hasnt poe sort of proved that isnt the case with arpgs?

d3 was low demanding, lost almost all its players within a year, got a load back for reaper of souls and then rapidly lost them again. people talk about poe league retention but in d3 those who do still play go there, get their gear set day 1, almost all ancient gear end of day 2, by day 4 they are wearing multiple primal ancients and are up in the 130, 140+ GRs.

I play almost every d3 league and rarely make it past 1 week, everyone i know who plays the game is the same. i lasted about 4 days this time and this was their most lootexplosion season ever. i played poe for 2 months, d3 for 4 days, came back and played another month of poe in poes most loot explosion league ever. that seems like an appropriate ratio of time spent for what each game offers and thats why poe is that game people make their home.

grim dawn, wolcen, so many arpgs have come along and been ok, but more casual than poe, none of them have lasted and really become the game that the hardcore player base lives in and makes massively successful over time. theyre all just little side games where people show up for a few weeks here and there and then abandon because in an arpg you need depth and a sense of a shared world.

with it being complex, poe1 is complex, with it being hard poe used to be hard, its debateable if it still is. but people in this sphere play darksouls, elden ring, these kind of games that are brutally difficult. poe was really difficult in 2013, we came along and stuck with it because it was great. i think the soulslike audience is a big group of people who will potentially come try poe2.

maybe it wont work, but im not so sure, difficult complex games have been the ones that have succeeded in this dark fantasy action rpgish sphere in the past decade right? other games have been a flash in the pan, they might sell a lot at first but then they rapidly drop off because difficulty and complexity usually go hand in hand with longevity and long term satisfaction. so does an mmo type element that for this genre poe gets right where its based around item trade, this being primarily an item hunt game.

does le really get the item trade economy part right? from what ive seen no, not even close. d4? awful. most people who trade have felt frustrations with the trade system in poe but i think the truth is its the best trade economy any arpg has had. by a mile at that, no one is even remotely close.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info