Map Management Resource

"
Cragwell wrote:
Mortal,

I think your math may be a bit off unless I am missing some detail. You can trade three maps for the next level up of map. If you have three bad roll level 70 maps that you have Alched up, that's at least 4 chaos value to get a level 71 rare map.

That same 71 rare map can be made with a 2 chaos white map and an alch orb. Still it is a good point that 3 bad same zone maps can be moved up to the next level rare map. Be sure to check which one you are getting though so you don't get a rare map you don't want to run.

When you alched those maps and they got unplayable rolls, those maps are actually wasted for you (because you cant run them). However, there are two ways to make them usable again:
1. Reroll them with chaos orbs. In this case, you spend 3 chaos to get 4.5 chaos-worth of maps. Not bad exchange, you gain more than you lose. Net "profit" = 1.5chaos.
2. Vendor them. In this case, you spend nothing and gain 2.5 chaos worth of maps (actually, even more, if you run that map unidentified).

Obviously, 2.5+ chaos > 1.5 chaos, so second way is better. That was my math

Sure, it depends on how many mods combos on rare maps are unplayable for you. If there are a lot of those, you shouldnt run rare maps at all, until you get stronger. That's why i am assuming there are only few combinations you want to avoid, and most probably because of your build specifics.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Jan 5, 2014, 2:45:39 PM
"
Cragwell wrote:
Tackle,

My point on the 70 maps is you can run two great magic 70s for the price of one bad 70 Alch roll. Would you rather have spent a chaos to reroll a bad 70 map or would you rather have initially run two 70 maps with more Magic, Rare or Pack Size as a guarantee? Add in that the Chaos Orb spent does not guarantee a map you will run. You could have a string of bad map rolls and then you really will wish you had taken a different path.

Again this comes down to how many mods "destroy" a map for you. As your character becomes more capable, this risk becomes lower. It is a combination of personal preference and your character's strengths. For my chaos orbs, I would rather run the two cheap but great magic 70s at all times.

What's important here though isn't who's personal preference is most correct. What's important is that a new player takes the costs of rolling rare maps and compares it to the cost of running great magic maps available through trade at minimal costs.

Meh... it can easily cost an alch worth of Alts to get a specific magic mod (or a lot more if you want a specific combo) so I don't see a huge difference in price unless you have a lot of map mods (more than 2) that are risky for you.

I think that 71+ is where it becomes more obvious to alch maps, but I think the 70 tier is debatable either way.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Tackle I can see your point. I prefer the magic mods at 70 because you can get a string of bad rolls with Chaos Orbs too. I would rather throw cheap Alt orbs down a hole than Chaos. But its definitely a user preference and has a valid argument on both sides.
What bad rolls?

To answer a question a few posts back: that depends how well you roll them, doesn't it? 10-12 maps is a reasonable buffer for really high rolled maps in the 72+ range, I'm not sure 76+ are actually self-sustainable at any level, and 2-3 66s are enough if you're running them blue.
How to make a build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/510084
Current guides: N/A
just did my very first maze map.

was quiet rough cause vaal gave me a 1shot laser when i tried to get in the room and in range for ST but managed to kill him without any 1shots after that.

was quiet a challange, but atleast he droped a lvl76 map.

i now you guys might kill him 1000times with harder mods but im proud of me, so i have to tell so :)
"
Lyralei wrote:

During the actual fight, there's a specific radius you must stay within for him to not burrow (assuming ranged). If melee, facetank him and he won't shoot his projectiles.

I can confirm that this is not actually the case. Stupid oneshot bullshit.
Luna's Blackguards - a guild of bronies - is now recruiting! If you're a fan of our favourite chromatic marshmallow equines, hit me up with an add or whisper, and I'll invite you!
IGN: HopeYouAreFireProof
Last edited by Budget_player_cadet on Jan 6, 2014, 9:17:41 AM
Kirielis,

If that question was for me then I would say that a bad map falls into two categories. The first and most obvious one is a map that your character cannot complete or that's just too plain annoying to bother with. Something like Temporal Chains and Frozen Patches comes to mind for pure torture. There are also map combos that are either not possible or just not worth doing for some builds. I also consider a bad map to be one where the final boss has been buffed beyond reason. That's a nice loot drop you are giving up if you decide its not worth doing.

The second (and perhaps more subtle) type of bad map is one that is inferior to a magic map. I would much rather do a Magic, Rare or Pack Size with a good second mod than a 30-40% rare map with a bunch of garbage mods. In that case your Alchemy Orb and Map have been devalued below that magic map that would have been easy to roll for a similar investment.

Some well geared and built characters will just run any map and if that's your char, Alch away at 70+ if you have the currency. For those players getting started who don't have the end game gear in most slots, good magic maps have more value.
Yup, well agreed that a good magic map beats a bad rare map. On the other hand, I would argue that running higher maps magic, instead of (chaosed for good rolls) rare and 20%, is an exercise in nonsustainability of map pool and therefore going to get real expensive real quick. Still, without endgame(ish) gear, it's not common to be able to do higher maps, so I guess that does sort itself out.

Can't argue with your first point either. I don't run TC/chill maps and the bar for keeping the map is set higher for TC ones. However, I'm not going to reroll a map just because the mods make the boss hard. Maybe it's just the groups I map with, but it's not uncommon to see people skipping Piety, Megaera, Weaver, Shock and Horror, etc. As for maps with unplayable mods, other characters can play them or I can swap with someone else.
How to make a build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/510084
Current guides: N/A
"
Take for example, Chisels. When you begin doing maps, you will want to Chisel your 69/70 maps in hopes that it will yield 71's and 72's

This was in the OP. How does this work? I thought chisels can only upgrade the quality? Sorry very new to the map system.
"
KomiKaze wrote:
"
Take for example, Chisels. When you begin doing maps, you will want to Chisel your 69/70 maps in hopes that it will yield 71's and 72's

This was in the OP. How does this work? I thought chisels can only upgrade the quality? Sorry very new to the map system.

maps (as items) are effected by rarity and quantity. You will use chisels to get more benefit from doing a lvl70 (e.g.) and if you are lucky it might drop a lvl71 or even lvl72 map.

you can not use chisels to craft higher level maps.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info