why PoE is dying

"
Bleu42 wrote:

And whaddya know, we've circled all the way back to my original reply to you;

D4s launching with more content then any other arpg ever has. They also have plans for quarterly seasons with new quests, items, mechanics and themes. Then there's plans for huge expansions with new main story quests, areas and classes.

So, again, if you don't think that all counts towards longevity then please, what does?

For me? Complexity.
Adding more of the same isnt interesting and adds nothing as far as Im concerned.

If the core behavior of things can be changed and Im forced to think about how to exploit or implement this new behaviour to my benefit, thats when Im interested.

However, that requieres a lot of tinkering with a lot of options - also known as depth. If its obvious how to do it, its shallow, bland and boring. Its just more of the same.

This is precisely why I pointed out that D4 does target casual players and PoE does target hardcore players. Its a different audience with different preferences and different expectations.

There is no "One size fits all". Thats the beauty of it.
You pick your poison and accept the downsides that come with it.
Last edited by Orbaal on May 31, 2023, 1:40:19 PM
"
Bleu42 wrote:
D4s launching with more content then any other arpg ever has.

I think PoE is a pretty good example that it isn't necessarily the amount of content that's important.

Replayability (read: Reasons to keep coming back), endgame loop and itemizations are all VERY important factors for many ARPG players. How interesting will farming legendary modifiers be league after league? How interesting is ONE(!) ranged (bow) build in the long run?

It's not only about the amount of content, but the depth.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
I suppose my point was how exactly is GGG intending to get these average / casuals back, (if they do want them) from their D4 time? Or do you think GGG won't have to do anything and they will naturally come back through some sort of gaming inertia? That last bit seems a bit too hopeful to be a strategy imo.

Given a premsie they have to do something, what are the design adjustments? Are they even willing to do that? Will it impact PoE2, or has it already? All reasonable questions I think.

The answer to what they are doing to "get these players back" is of course "PoE 2", which will probably be thoroughly teased and announced in a few weeks. Only time will show what kind of changes that expansion will bring to mechanics, QoL, tutorials and gameplay, because I think it will add a lot of small features that have not been teased.

PoE-players that left PoE to play D4 will probably be beck to try PoE 2. And then we're back to the question of "for how long"?

PoE2 will be cool and all but i feel that it is what they do AFTER POE2 that will make the biggest impact, People will get bored all the same from the usual grind at some point when the freshness fades on the 2nd or 3rd or 100th play through.

If their development power is now split then i hope to see what GGG is now capable of when at FULL DEVELOPMENT POWER.

Innocence forgives you
"
Bleu42 wrote:
You think D4, which is *launching* with far more content then any other arpg ever has in existence, and has in place quarterly seasons with new content / mechanics / items ect, AND has plans for full expansions with new classes and story will be shallow?

I mean if you don't think that counts towards 'longevity' then I think you're not having an honest conversation.

First, the whole "launching with more content" is a dubious claim promoted by people shilling for Blizzard. It's as empty a claim as the "play your way" motto of D3. Like if GGG just reskinned some zone colors to double the map pool and called it "more content". If it doesn't fundamentally alter where/what people are doing and why they do it then it is just fluff. D4 is a lot of fluff. Lots of dungeons that are basically just different entry points for the same hallway layouts that drop the same loot.

Second, the only thing anyone should expect for D4 seasons is the Call of Duty treatment, i.e. adding back the content that was in D3 and is now missing in D4. Such as set items, companions, higher scaling end-game, borrowed power systems, etc... The thing is even if Blizzard had good intentions with D4 content, which they almost certainly don't, the issue is that D4 is extremely top-down heavy in design and that makes lateral expansion of content really inefficient to create. The reason PoE can have such a high content cadence and get so much impact from the introduction of new skills and items is because it's bottom-up design of the mechanical tag system. Anything new added to PoE inherits all the support and interactions it needs through its tags. D4 doesn't work that way. A new skill added to D4 inherits almost nothing and would need a crap ton of new items, aspect powers, paragon support, and be implemented into the skill tree just to function like any other skill already does.

So if we are being honest D4 doesn't look like its made for longevity. It's made for milking people at the release and stringing them alone for 1-2 years until an expansion can be used to reset the hype train for another round.
Last edited by Hackusations on May 31, 2023, 1:52:15 PM
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
I suppose my point was how exactly is GGG intending to get these average / casuals back, (if they do want them) from their D4 time? Or do you think GGG won't have to do anything and they will naturally come back through some sort of gaming inertia? That last bit seems a bit too hopeful to be a strategy imo.

Given a premsie they have to do something, what are the design adjustments? Are they even willing to do that? Will it impact PoE2, or has it already? All reasonable questions I think.

The answer to what they are doing to "get these players back" is of course "PoE 2", which will probably be thoroughly teased and announced in a few weeks. Only time will show what kind of changes that expansion will bring to mechanics, QoL, tutorials and gameplay, because I think it will add a lot of small features that have not been teased.

PoE-players that left PoE to play D4 will probably be beck to try PoE 2. And then we're back to the question of "for how long"?

So I take it you believe that PoE2 will be more casual / new player friendly? It's a shared endgame so presumably you mean quite early on?

That's interesting, if I had to guess I would have said the opposite. That PoE2 will be more Ruthless-like. Hmm I guess we will see. I suppose it could go either way.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
So I take it you believe that PoE2 will be more casual / new player friendly?

Sort of. I think it will have quite a few QoL additions, as well as a new, modern story line that may be accompanied by a better tutorial/introduction and maybe smoother progression. A lot of casual/average players do actually like a 'hard' game, and a new, modern story line may be 'hard' in a better way than the current story line.

The new socket system is also a step in that direction, where you're not dependent on the right amount of sockets on every piece of gear you pick up, removing a irritation element.

So will it be more casual friendly in terms of gameplay mechanics? Yes, I think so. Will it be more casual friendly in terms of depth and complexity? No, hopefully.

Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

So I take it you believe that PoE2 will be more casual / new player friendly? It's a shared endgame so presumably you mean quite early on?

That's interesting, if I had to guess I would have said the opposite. That PoE2 will be more Ruthless-like. Hmm I guess we will see. I suppose it could go either way.

I would hope they wouldn't want it to be easier or harder as both economy's are supposed to interact in the end outside of different mechanics(possibly) nothing should really change.
Innocence forgives you
Last edited by SilentSymphony on May 31, 2023, 3:14:45 PM
Game is too complex to you... Well good thing there are many other game options in the same genre.

Not every game need to be for everyone. This post look like you want video games to be made around you only.

Some people DO enjoy complexity. This game is for them.

btw, this is a PvE game. No one is asking for you to perform so take your time and learn new things at your rythm.
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
So I take it you believe that PoE2 will be more casual / new player friendly?

Sort of. I think it will have quite a few QoL additions, as well as a new, modern story line that may be accompanied by a better tutorial/introduction and maybe smoother progression. A lot of casual/average players do actually like a 'hard' game, and a new, modern story line may be 'hard' in a better way than the current story line.

The new socket system is also a step in that direction, where you're not dependent on the right amount of sockets on every piece of gear you pick up, removing a irritation element.

So will it be more casual friendly in terms of gameplay mechanics? Yes, I think so. Will it be more casual friendly in terms of depth and complexity? No, hopefully.

To be honest I don't know how a reduction in gear pressure with the socketing change, then leaps to mechanical ease of understanding of the same.

It might help players pick up whatever gear drops, thats true, but it doesn't help them understand what to socket in their skill gems or why. That's still an issue imo. For example if you gave a new player a tabula would they socket it properly with the skills & scaling they are using? Idk I've seen some weird shit lol.

Also the new gem socketing systems still haven't addressed the gem pressure on multiple skill gems in a single piece of gear that we have now. For example, now you could have 3 auras in your gloves all benefiting from an single enlighten support. I have no idea how that type of interaction will work. For what they have shown so far its skill gems that have individual sockets, so the above scenario would require 3 separate aura gems socketed with 3 separate enlightens. That's seems objectively terrible, and your are limited in total skill gems per character.

Ugh I just don't know if this represents "easier", or just different "difficult" problems.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
To be honest I don't know how a reduction in gear pressure with the socketing change, then leaps to mechanical ease of understanding of the same.

It might help players pick up whatever gear drops, thats true, but it doesn't help them understand what to socket in their skill gems or why. That's still an issue imo. For example if you gave a new player a tabula would they socket it properly with the skills & scaling they are using? Idk I've seen some weird shit lol.

Also the new gem socketing systems still haven't addressed the gem pressure on multiple skill gems in a single piece of gear that we have now. For example, now you could have 3 auras in your gloves all benefiting from an single enlighten support. I have no idea how that type of interaction will work. For what they have shown so far its skill gems that have individual sockets, so the above scenario would require 3 separate aura gems socketed with 3 separate enlightens. That's seems objectively terrible, and your are limited in total skill gems per character.

A lot of the issues you describe here, will be fixed by the upcoming META gems. Another point you're not addressing, is that socketing in gems that do not work with each other, will be impossible. For example, you cannot link Reave to Spell Echo - it wont let you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info