D4 had over 1 million closed beta access players, with multi-millions expected this weekend. Wow.

"
grepman wrote:

With all that said Im playing tomorrow. It's a Diablo game.

lol
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
grepman wrote:

lol

Im playing all arpgs. Even played that wolcen mess.
"
grepman wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
grepman wrote:

lol

Im playing all arpgs. Even played that wolcen mess.

It's fine my dude, millions will be doing the same.

I was just amused by this notion we often see where Blizz sucks and Diablo is ass, and yet "here is $100, see you in Early Access!"
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

It's fine my dude, millions will be doing the same.

I was just amused by this notion we often see where Blizz sucks and Diablo is ass, and yet "here is $100, see you in Early Access!"

I weighed the pros and cons of giving a company that I dont like money for a game that is probably going to be average

versus

fun I will have on launch day and I was like aw fuck it.

Especially since I have some time off work.

Its like 12 years between Diablo games and the last time I gave blizz $ was for D2R.

In the end, I have fun playing arpgs and I like launch day f*&4ery that comes with the launch day. First couple of days of new leagues in PoE are like that too.

This all may sound like justifications and all that, but in the end the fun, however brief, is what matters more. I dunno.
Odd to say you don't think it has more longevity than D3 when D3 has had over a decade of service. DIV for a decade would put most of us into our 40s and 50s I imagine. Some of us might not even still be alive by then.

I do not want to be playing Diablo IV in 2033.

I do however want to be playing it tomorrow. And a lot of tomorrows after that. Trying not to think about thousands of them. That's how we get PoE and the hubris of a "forever game".
The name says it all.
I guess I meant more of a longevity for me and specifically build wise.

I bought d3 and played it a lot, but there was no endgame and nothing to do. Later I I tried to check it out again and turned out all the new features and qol changes were for RoS only. Like not even adventure mode was available. I never bought RoS and focused on other arpgs like PoE.

Compared to d2 where I could play vanilla and not feel force fed LoD, d3 post RoS felt like they expected for you to have RoS for anything. That rubbed me the wrong way.
if the game was any good, it wouldn't need headlines and reputable "reviewers" to convince me that its good

i would watch 5 minutes of gameplay and i would be like "man, i need to play this game!", but instead i can't even sit through 30 seconds of this d3-epoch mix

no offense to the devs tho. i appreciate the effort, but i dont expect it to get anywhere without at least 1.5 years worth of updates, plus im really turned off by the obvious d3 monsters
Last edited by Blubbey on May 31, 2023, 11:47:59 PM
RoS was the LoD of D3. I think it's that simple.

Adventure mode is what won me over in terms of playing it solo. With a friend it was already fun enough as a mind off kill shit excuse to shoot the breeze but AM excised the worst part of D3: its uninspired story and the insufferable dialogue. Suddenly I was free to just traipse about Sanctuary doing simple missions as a sheet-thin motivation to play it as an actual ARPG. I didn't do it that much but I appreciated the core gameplay much more after adventure mode was a thing.

Regarding D2, something I think a lot of us forget is that while it was pick up and play, at some point we did need to refer to the Arreat Summit resource on Blizzard's website. For most of us, that point was almost certainly runewords. The game itself teaches you one but after that it expects you to either experiment or use the officially supplied resource. It was probably the worst part of the game's design in terms of accessibility within game BUT runewords also made build potential explode beyond anything we had seen before. Runewords paved the way for PoE more than any other D2 feature.

DIV seems much more self-contained, but we will see.
The name says it all.
18 hours and change. Can't wait. Unreal that it actually arrives tomorrow. This is going to be incredible. I'm going to try my best to stay in the moment, enjoy with my friends, and for the most part, stay away from spoilers.

What a month June is going to be.
- Abraham Lincoln
My poor partner is trying to finish TOTK in time but honestly I look forward to having to ration my DIV time as I could not during the beta weekends. It'll still be there tomorrow -- and that for me is the real thrill of this. A game I absolutely can't wait to infuse into my existence AT MY OWN pace.

I let her pick my starter class since she is impartial and as with d2 I can see myself loving variants of all of them. She's a bit of a macabre bitch (exhibit A:Acton's Nightmare) so scarred, lanky Necro it is. I was gonna go melee rogue but shadow scythe meleemancer? Fuck yeah.

This really is a very personal milestone for me. Last time I was this excited for a Diablo game the former wife and I would go to the local mall to play the barbarian only stress test and mostly just do our own thing. Now I have a partner who isnt into ARPGs but derives joy from my joy. As I derive joy from hers although I would never play the games she loves.

So much healthier.
The name says it all.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info