[OLD] Map Management Resource

Great thread! This deserves to be stickied! Thanks!
Thanks for the thread.

"
Lyralei wrote:

Before you begin maps seriously, you must approach content with an open mindset and a willingness to invest in your maps. Realise that there will be streaks of bad luck where your maps yield no returns and you must learn to accept this. Maps are designed as content which requires some thought put into them and some degree of experimentation so don't take this resource as a hard line for all your rolls because not even those of us playing end-game know everything.

Very well said, people really need to expect less from the maps.
IGN QTCRZ
Coming along nicely.

"
Overgrown Ruin - ★★
Recommended Affixes: Labyrinthine + of Champions/Hordes, Fleet + of Smothering, Villainous + of Champions/Hordes.
One of the more difficult maps in the 66 pool. This map comes as a multi-level map with many rooms and benefits hugely from maze, undead, bandits and pack size due to the large areas and rooms that come with the layout of the map. The boss is a copy of Fidelitas. Newer players are advised against the Mirrored prefix because of the boss room size making it difficult to maneuver.

Did you mean Twinned?

For the Vulnerability suffix; You might want to add a note, that regardless of prefixes or other suffixes, a map with this suffix will ALWAYS have at least 2 (usually all 3) of...
Charging mobs (Rhoas/Ribbons/Blackguard Elites)
Puncture mobs (Non-Shell Crabs/Archers/Undying)
Bombing degen mobs (Alchemists/Incinerators)

It's worth noting because of the properties of Vulnerability and these mobs.
Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Apr 15, 2013, 7:31:10 PM
Thanks for catching that out. Its been a long day, I'll amend it.
Great informative thread. Been waiting for something like this for a while.
ign: littleleaper
I'm happy to see a resource such as this. I've finally got a character that is map viable, so I will be starting maps for the first time soon. This guide will certainly make it a bit easier for me.
Light as a neutral force.

The new flesh emerges.
Thanks for this.
Great thread, very interesting information!
But... Temple, 5 stars?.. Really?..
"
Warlord - Often inconsequential as a suffix, summoners may find problems with this.

Reading this makes it seem that you think minions get cursed by map affixes. This is untrue, if you read the suffix it says "Player are cursed with XXX."
IGN EquiFire
What are your map ratings based on? I disagree with some of them (it's all opinion anyway):

- Tropical Island blows. It's very easy, but it's short and doesn't scale well with an area mod.
- Overgrown Ruin is awesome, probably 4 stars. Difficult for a 66, but is solid with maze.
- Mountain Ledge isn't that great. It's my favourite 67, but that's because it's linear and easy. Average for drops.
- Reef sucks. It's easy and quick, but incredibly small. Area size is also garbage on it.

I think if you are going to rate maps, you should stick to rating them based on drops and how they scale with mods. For instance, Spider Lair is sexy, but it's also tough to navigate, is close quarters and the boss can be dangerous. As an overall rating (which incorporates difficulty and clear speed), it shouldn't be 5 stars, but in terms of drops, it is definitely 5 stars.

The inconsistency here is when you rate stuff like Mountain Ledge with 4 stars. Mountain Ledge is an "average" source for maps, probably 2 to 3 stars, but you give it 4 because it's "quick and easy", and not in terms of pure drops.

How are you rating these? Difficulty? Drops? Overall? None of those options are consistent with your ratings at this point.
Last edited by s4ntana on Apr 15, 2013, 8:57:52 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info