[3.20] Lightning Trap Saboteur | League Starter | Endgame Bosser | 4+mil dps on a 5link.

"
CHArAQUZA wrote:
Hey, I like your build, sorry if it was mentioned earlier in thread, but a slight leveling guide would be nice! Just maybe a tree + ascendancy + link progression through acts. Also a good addition would be item progression, like what should a player starting with this build prioritise first to get it going, but IMO it's not mandatory since you have itembuilds for 3 budget ranges.
Otherwise it's a nice buildguide.

UPD: Sorry, actually found a tree progression, but still would be nice to have little section featuring leveling information :)

UPD 2:
"
Ekule731 wrote:

You will need a Mana Flask until you can get the Architect's Hand gloves. Enduring is ideal, as it will not cancel its effect when you reach full mana.

iirc Architect's Hand doesn't do anything to prevent you from running out of mana, it's Slavedriver's hand.

Thanks for the correction, I'll fix that.

Item progression: Tinkerskin 4/5link > Void Battery 1 > Slavedriver's Hand > Badge of the brotherhood > Void Battery 2 > Glorious Vanity > Unstable Infusion forbidden flesh/flame pair > 6link Tinkerskin.

The build can do red maps on a 4link early on but it wont feel great. Survivability can be rough until you have a lot of the key pieces and levels for life.

I did make a few trees for passive order while leveling on a league start, and it was in the tree section for the Budget/League start version but ill copy paste it here for you.

Order of Passive Importance:
(1) poeurl.com/dEqK
(2) poeurl.com/dErs
(3) poeurl.com/dErt
(4) poeurl.com/dEri

"
Ekule731 wrote:

Thanks for the correction, I'll fix that.

Item progression: Tinkerskin 4/5link > Void Battery 1 > Slavedriver's Hand > Badge of the brotherhood > Void Battery 2 > Glorious Vanity > Unstable Infusion forbidden flesh/flame pair > 6link Tinkerskin.

The build can do red maps on a 4link early on but it wont feel great. Survivability can be rough until you have a lot of the key pieces and levels for life.

I did make a few trees for passive order while leveling on a league start, and it was in the tree section for the Budget/League start version but ill copy paste it here for you.

Order of Passive Importance:
(1) poeurl.com/dEqK
(2) poeurl.com/dErs
(3) poeurl.com/dErt
(4) poeurl.com/dEri

Thanks for adivces and work you putting to help players here with your build. :)
Actually found the tree progression later as I stated, just were pointing out that leveling section would be nice to make easier navigation through your guide. Maybe you can point it out before spoiler with league start info, like:
"EXTREME BUDGET/LEAGUE START <- leveling guide here", and I'd suggest to add slight link progression for very first acts, like lvl 1: stormblast mine + swift assembly support(lvl 4) + added lightning damage support(lvl 8) etc. Maybe a wand crafting recepies for each lvl range. That would make your guide even better and much more usable for newcomers or people unfamiliar with trap/spell leveling process.
Cheers!
Last edited by CHArAQUZA on Jun 17, 2022, 4:51:16 PM
What are your thoughts of using arc for mapping? Would you change your tree slighty? I tried this last league and mapping with trap arc feels so much smoother, clearing 2 screens with cluster traps feels very nice. Also how do you think The Gull will work on this build? Esp with arc traps. Can even use Deerstalkers
"
Mirzadin wrote:
What are your thoughts of using arc for mapping? Would you change your tree slighty? I tried this last league and mapping with trap arc feels so much smoother, clearing 2 screens with cluster traps feels very nice. Also how do you think The Gull will work on this build? Esp with arc traps. Can even use Deerstalkers

The interesting thing about this build is that all the scaling we have is extremely generic, giving trap damage or spell damage. Only the large cluster jewel (easily can get a different large cluster) and gems in the 6link (also easily changable) exclusively affect lightning damage. The majority of the scaling affects ALL traps/spells/damage types equally. This means the build is pretty good as a framework for using other non-cooldown trap skills.

Other people have absolutely used my guide to instead use arc traps, fire trap, ice trap, etc and all of those players reported really enjoying it. In my personal opinion lightning trap is best but what really matters is that you enjoy playing your character, and arc trap is actually pretty good, with the biggest downside being slightly worse single target. With arc the helmet enchantment is far less important for the build to function than the lightning trap pierce, so an argument could be made for running without the enchantment when on a budget which can make itemization easier. Obviously the ideal scenario is to use the arc chains an additional time helmet enchantment.

Last league I actually played a few hours with arc trap and even did the feared with it just as a test. The skill certainly holds its own, but for me arc trap felt worse than lightning trap.

The ideal 6link would probably be; Arc, Trap support, added lightning (Awakened if possible), charged traps support, swift assembly/cluster traps, and power charge on critical strike support. Ideal helmet enchantment would be arc chains an additional time. The only body armour corruption that would affect the gem level of arc would be +1 level of socketed gems as the arc gem itself is not a trap, projectile gem, or AoE gem. This is part of the reason arc has a lower top end dps.

As far as using deerstalkers, they are absolutely a budget option (For Arc Trap) but with the build needing a large number of uniques, having another item without resistances or attributes is simply not ideal.

The gull has 2 main issues. The first is that it doesn't have +1 power charge without a corruption implicit, which is unrealistic to have with a specific helmet enchantment. The other much bigger issue is that we don't get kill credit with traps and thus the "Trigger level 1 lesser shrine when you kill an enemy" NEVER actually triggers. So while it does increase the effect and duration of shrines you encounter in the wild, this build cannot use it to its full effect unfortunately.

Lastly yes, cluster traps feels smoother and more consistent for mapping than swift assembly, but deals less single target damage. Once you get crazy trap throwing speed they feel pretty similar, but use which one you prefer, and its pretty easy to just swap the two gems with each other as needed.
Last edited by Ekule731 on Jun 20, 2022, 3:02:18 PM
Hi, thank you for this thorough guide !

I played a few lightning trappers but that was litterally years ago and enjoyed it very much at the time. I'm currently playing a generic seismic/exsanguinate set up and i'm considering respeccing into this.

My question is, can you give up the tinkerskin for skin of the lords ? is the upgrade in damage worth it/ necessary ?
"
Fyodab wrote:
Hi, thank you for this thorough guide !

I played a few lightning trappers but that was litterally years ago and enjoyed it very much at the time. I'm currently playing a generic seismic/exsanguinate set up and i'm considering respeccing into this.

My question is, can you give up the tinkerskin for skin of the lords ? is the upgrade in damage worth it/ necessary ?

A skin of the lords only gives damage in the +2 level of socketed gems. It's sockets cannot be modified, even with the crafting bench, and grants a random keystone which can range from pointless to build killing. The 100% global defences certainly isnt bad, but tinkerskin has a ton of evasion and decent energy shield as well as life so the difference is pretty minor. The main thing tinkerskin gives though is the MASSIVE recovery on trap trigger. We basically need this to be net positive on trap throw (as we spend life), and its our primary source of recovery.

A +2 projectile 6link tinkerskin can sometimes be found for 10ex or less on trade sites, and if one isnt available you can always buy a +2 projectile tinkerskin and 6 socket/link it with the crafting bench (for anywhere from 6-15ex for the 1,500 fusings and 1.500 Vaal orbs). Just guaranteeing 1 blue with the bench color is pretty cheap to get the right colors. This matches the damage without sacrificing our primary source of recovery. You can go for a +3 or +4 if you really have the budget, which would out-dps any skin of the lords.

https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Sentinel/pj7DGbC0

* also no, the damage isnt necessary. Its pretty easy to break 3mil dps on a 5link with no special rares or corrupted uniques.
Last edited by Ekule731 on Jul 13, 2022, 5:47:51 PM
"
The 100% global defences certainly isnt bad, but tinkerskin has a ton of evasion and decent energy shield as well as life so the difference is pretty minor. The main thing tinkerskin gives though is the MASSIVE recovery on trap trigger. We basically need this to be net positive on trap throw (as we spend life), and its our primary source of recovery.

Don't forget the free phasing. Super important IMO, increasing QOL immensely.
Is this uber viable?
"
Is this uber viable?

I've carried people through uber cortex with this build, completed uber shaper, uber uber elder, uber Maven, and although I dont consistently clear it I've done uber sirus. I haven't really tried searing exarch much, but from what I could tell even with 7k effective life every single thing in that encounter can one-shot me. The increased difficulty compared to the small chance for a slightly more valuable reward is in most cases simply not worth it. For the most part I dont recommend doing uber bosses at all except for uber cortex (due to the high level of synthesis bases that drop). If you are looking for a build to seriously grind uber bosses i recommend trying a seriously tanky build.
The new thunderfist gloves seem really strong after the new patch, how viable do you think they are for this build now?
"
The Thunderfist Unique Gloves no longer has +25-30 to maximum Energy Shield, or 100% increased Duration of Lightning Ailments. It also no longer has 10% increased Stun Duration on Enemies, or Adds 1 to 100 Lightning Damage to Attacks. Instead, it now has 150-200% increased Evasion and Energy Shield, and 100% increased effect of Lightning Ailments. It also now has Socketed Gems are Supported by Level 30 Added Lightning Damage (previously Level 18).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info