[Retracted] WASD Movement

"
raidsoft wrote:
"

There is more strain on wasd because you have to allocate different hotkeys for your skills and then you have to move your hand a lot more. Using wasd is poor effficiency because you have to use 4 fingers to operate JUST movement, rather then operate ALL movement with one button and then some. You are optimizing layout efficiency, when you think WASD is easier it makes using abilities more difficult then the mouse layout and accomplishes nearly nothing the mouse doesn't. Like I said, this isn't for WoW players.

I don't agree, also I am not a wow player. I was suggesting that you could do BOTH at the same time, an example of how this can be done is Spiral Knights (though that doesn't mean it automatically works for this game ofc)

The reason I say that the mouse gets "overloaded" is because you are both moving and targeting abilities with the mouse, if you move with WASD that means you can freely use your mouse for targeting without having to constantly move your cursor across the screen to move, then back to your target, then back to move etc etc...

This is mostly a problem for casters though that need to cast and kite a lot. But as I said it should if anything allow both wasd and mouse movement at the same time.

The biggest issue with WASD is the limited range of movement you get as it's digital since you can only move in 8 directions while a mouse movement is not limited in that regard.

Remember though that I have not played this game yet so all this is just based on games I have played with similar control schemes and WASD might just be terrible in this, but it's probably worth exploring unless it would take a lot of time to test.
I havent played it yet either so I dont know if there is a hotkey for it already, but something similar to the way the shift key worked in D2 would help alleviate that issue for ranged classes... Holding shift kept your character in one place so you could click anywhere on the screen to cast/attack in that direction rather than having to actually click on the monsters.
"
raidsoft wrote:
"

There is more strain on wasd because you have to allocate different hotkeys for your skills and then you have to move your hand a lot more. Using wasd is poor effficiency because you have to use 4 fingers to operate JUST movement, rather then operate ALL movement with one button and then some. You are optimizing layout efficiency, when you think WASD is easier it makes using abilities more difficult then the mouse layout and accomplishes nearly nothing the mouse doesn't. Like I said, this isn't for WoW players.

I don't agree, also I am not a wow player. I was suggesting that you could do BOTH at the same time, an example of how this can be done is Spiral Knights (though that doesn't mean it automatically works for this game ofc)

The reason I say that the mouse gets "overloaded" is because you are both moving and targeting abilities with the mouse, if you move with WASD that means you can freely use your mouse for targeting without having to constantly move your cursor across the screen to move, then back to your target, then back to move etc etc...

This is mostly a problem for casters though that need to cast and kite a lot. But as I said it should if anything allow both wasd and mouse movement at the same time.

The biggest issue with WASD is the limited range of movement you get as it's digital since you can only move in 8 directions while a mouse movement is not limited in that regard.

Remember though that I have not played this game yet so all this is just based on games I have played with similar control schemes and WASD might just be terrible in this, but it's probably worth exploring unless it would take a lot of time to test.

If you have played HoN or LoL or dota, you know that using the mouse to move with skills and abilities is much easier then getting lost in your finger placement on your keys while trying to navigate from movement to skill selection. Moving with the mouse is accessible and easy even while kiting and aiming abilities, the same cannot be said for WASD.

And another thing, this takes time out of the devswork schedule, they have to invest hours into reprogramming the movement code to support both WASD and mouse movement. It shouldn't be an option because it takes unnecessary resources for something that is worse then what we already have. I have done both WASD and mouse movement, the mouse is much better.
myhos has it...it only works for running around but not for any skill use which needs to be aimed

I guess its not very complicated to implement wasd (you may would need a free camera positioning) but its also very useless

i wouldnt miss this feature but the time wasted on implementing it
"

If you have played HoN or LoL or dota, you know that using the mouse to move with skills and abilities is much easier then getting lost in your finger placement on your keys while trying to navigate from movement to skill selection. Moving with the mouse is accessible and easy even while kiting and aiming abilities, the same cannot be said for WASD.

And another thing, this takes time out of the devswork schedule, they have to invest hours into reprogramming the movement code to support both WASD and mouse movement. It shouldn't be an option because it takes unnecessary resources for something that is worse then what we already have. I have done both WASD and mouse movement, the mouse is much better.

I have played dota, hon and lol yes, although I think they are a bit different case since that has a free camera rather then one fixed to your character.

We don't know how long this would take to implement, maybe it's 5 minutes worth to do it? Maybe it's 5 hours? I'm not saying "I WANT THIS OR I WILL NEVER PLAY THIS GAME" but I am rather just stating an option and it's up to the devs whether they think it's a viable thing to add or not.

Of course you wouldn't target any abilities or something like that with the movement keys, you would have your keybinds to your skills, if you click the skill it would either bring up a targeting reticle and you then click where you want to use it or it would instantly activate where your mouse cursor is pointing, now if it's something like a melee attack then the character would turn and use the skill in the direction you had your mouse.

Bloodline champions has a really sweet movement/targeting system and I suggest you guys check it out (it's free) to see something similar to what I am thinking about although that's more of an arena combat game rather then a full rpg but something similar could possibly work.
"
raidsoft wrote:
"

I have played dota, hon and lol yes, although I think they are a bit different case since that has a free camera rather then one fixed to your character.

We don't know how long this would take to implement, maybe it's 5 minutes worth to do it? Maybe it's 5 hours? I'm not saying "I WANT THIS OR I WILL NEVER PLAY THIS GAME" but I am rather just stating an option and it's up to the devs whether they think it's a viable thing to add or not.

Of course you wouldn't target any abilities or something like that with the movement keys, you would have your keybinds to your skills, if you click the skill it would either bring up a targeting reticle and you then click where you want to use it or it would instantly activate where your mouse cursor is pointing, now if it's something like a melee attack then the character would turn and use the skill in the direction you had your mouse.

Bloodline champions has a really sweet movement/targeting system and I suggest you guys check it out (it's free) to see something similar to what I am thinking about although that's more of an arena combat game rather then a full rpg but something similar could possibly work.

I've played bloodline champions and the controls feel goofy. Skills are difficult to use because learning the keyboard and maintaining your sense of where you fingers are is a lot more difficult then the typical moba 4 finge 4 key formula. The only difference between mobas and PoE is you have an extra ability keybind on T. If you move your hand while playing a moba you just have to feel for the tab key and you have all your skills instantly, if you lose your place in bloodline champions you must look at your keyboard to get your positioning back.
"

I've played bloodline champions and the controls feel goofy. Skills are difficult to use because learning the keyboard and maintaining your sense of where you fingers are is a lot more difficult then the typical moba 4 finge 4 key formula. The only difference between mobas and PoE is you have an extra ability keybind on T. If you move your hand while playing a moba you just have to feel for the tab key and you have all your skills instantly, if you lose your place in bloodline champions you must look at your keyboard to get your positioning back.

I think it's pretty obvious that it's very different to what we are used to, I have NO issues whatsoever with the controls in BLC, having mouse clicks to move in that game would be completely terrible for example and I don't know what you are doing to lose your positoning.

You should never need to actually move your hand because all the buttons are focused around WASD anyway (because BLC has really smart keymapping) and you said you just look for the tab key and you'd find your place again but why can't you do that for your WASD movement? Why do you have to look at it? If they keybinds are smart then you should pretty quickly know exactly where each button is anyway.

Also WASD only makes sense to me if the camera is locked to your character, any free look camera games it just seems weird, as far as I know PoE is fixed camera on your character?

Although it can be a bit harder to first get used to I think it allows much better flexibility and freedom in how you play the game and since it wouldn't be forced upon anyone so you could play just with the mouse anyway it wouldn't actually impact the people that just can't get used to WASD anyway.
no, just no. wasd is probably the worset movement control ever invented.
WSAD for diablo-like? NO!
"
raidsoft wrote:
"

I think it's pretty obvious that it's very different to what we are used to, I have NO issues whatsoever with the controls in BLC, having mouse clicks to move in that game would be completely terrible for example and I don't know what you are doing to lose your positoning.

You should never need to actually move your hand because all the buttons are focused around WASD anyway (because BLC has really smart keymapping) and you said you just look for the tab key and you'd find your place again but why can't you do that for your WASD movement? Why do you have to look at it? If they keybinds are smart then you should pretty quickly know exactly where each button is anyway.

Also WASD only makes sense to me if the camera is locked to your character, any free look camera games it just seems weird, as far as I know PoE is fixed camera on your character?

Although it can be a bit harder to first get used to I think it allows much better flexibility and freedom in how you play the game and since it wouldn't be forced upon anyone so you could play just with the mouse anyway it wouldn't actually impact the people that just can't get used to WASD anyway.

Bottom line is it is bad in bloodline champions and bloodline champions is a bad game. The key mapping isn't smart it is cluttered all over the place, I always find my fingers on the wrong keys and end up using the wrong skills.

This is not the kind of movement for PoE hands down, it's just bad this isn't WoW.
This game with WASD cant be good...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info